Transducer mount on Zodiac transom?

bh69

Recruit
I set the Zodiac 310s up last night to mount my fish/depth finder that I got for Christmas. My plan was to mount the transducer towards the bottom edge of the transom. However, I noticed that the fabric for the bottom of the boat wraps up and attaches to the transom (about 3 inches or so up). Right where I need to mount. Do you think it'd be okay to mount the transducer on top of the fabric, through the transom and then put silicone around it to prevent any leaking at the edges? Thanks for any advice on this.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transducer mount on Zodiac transom?

Would preffer to mount it at a position where water does not make contact, that's to avoid drilling holes on lower transom. Is it possibel to buy a small clamp like and attach transducer at side next to engine.

Happy Boating

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wouldn't worry much about putting a tiny hole in the fabric, just seal it up. Make sure to mount it on the starboard side though due to prop rotation and further away from the engine if possible for clean water...which also means a little away from the tubes.

The option mentioned above is often used and works quite well. Folks set themselves up with a removable "stick" that clamps to the transom. The sonar unit is then mounted to the "stick".

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you use transom wheels you can even get a stick that fits in the wheel bracket so you don't have to make any additional holes in the transom. ... as a bonus, it should be as easy to remove and replace as your transom wheels

bh69

Recruit

Would I need to remove the unit when cruising if I used a clamp system or would it still function at speeds? Thanks again for the feedback.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

A clamp system would be much easier to remove if planning going at speed, assume fish finders works best at trolling speeds and probably not passing fast displacement ones ? How much water drag can a transducer produce if living bolted to lower transom ? Someone who fishes regularly with fish finders should know. Transoms are made of plywood sheets glued between them, if water gets in through not well sealed lower screws will end rotting it.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I want my depth sounder working all the time, including at top speed. I also want my depth sounder to be working when my wheels are attached. I permanently mounted mine and have zero regrets. The stick with a couple of clamps is an option, and once you have the right height setting it would be easy to remove and install.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Does a fish finder works/reads/spots whatever, wether at idle, trolling or at wot speed ? At wot speed assume will not have time to spot a small fish school, unless it's a huge one ?

Happy Boating

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Does a fish finder works/reads/spots whatever, wether at idle, trolling or at wot speed ? At wot speed assume will not have time to spot a small fish school, unless it's a huge one ?

Happy Boating
A fish finder is basically commercial boat sonar on the cheap.
The sensitivity of the unit is what determines the price, along with screen type and size.
The more advanced units have chart plotters and gps in them, and maps.
I find the ability to know what speed I am going a huge bennifit. Where I boat. The Coast Guard and the Natural Resources Police are anal about enforcing speed limits in protected waters.

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class

the clamp set up will only work as good as the rigidity of the set up. I initially tried that but since the clamp only held to the top part of the transom, there was a little bit of play by the transducer end which meant garbage signal with anything above fast trolling speeds. I have not tested the new set up but it IS more rigid so I hope to get good signal up to full throttle ;)

ronaldj

They make suction cup mounts that you can actually place on the tubes
I have a lowrance suction cup mount and it works very well

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you have to put on a hard flat patch or does it hold directly to the the tube??? If so that is great. I have a couple of RAM mounts that are high vacuum suction cups but I ASSumed they wouldn't stay due to the curvature and pliable nature of the tubes. If I was not correct in my ASSumption... I spent a lot of money trying to come up with an alternate plan... and did not need to do so :( hence the ***-um-ption quote, lol).

Does your Lowrance mount hold well under full throttle and rough seas??

ronaldj

I have to inflate my boat today to clean it.
I will take a picture for you.
The way it works is that you put the transducer in the suction mount and then you attach the suction mount to the tube.
For me it would not stick to the transom

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class

A permanent mount could be a problem when folding the boat after deflating.

ronaldj

Did you have to put on a hard flat patch or does it hold directly to the the tube??? If so that is great. I have a couple of RAM mounts that are high vacuum suction cups but I ASSumed they wouldn't stay due to the curvature and pliable nature of the tubes. If I was not correct in my ASSumption... I spent a lot of money trying to come up with an alternate plan... and did not need to do so :( hence the ***-um-ption quote, lol).

Does your Lowrance mount hold well under full throttle and rough seas??

As promised
Here is the mount and how I have it mounted
image.jpg

image.jpg

This mount is made for all transducers and all units

gotmehooked

Seaman

I am also looking to buy a fish finder soon and am thinking of just getting a piece of aluminum or treated wood and placing it in my transon wheels bracket. I would also mount my stern light to the top of it serving two purposes.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Snoek,
Please start a topic about your transducer mount on a Zodiak

Last edited by a moderator: