Looking for an outboard lock

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
image.jpg

I picked up an outboard lock for my boat.
It works great for an inflatable where you take the engine off after each use, but I wouldn't want it as a permanent mount.
I got the lock because part of the fun of owning a boat is to pull up at different dockside places and piers. Annapolis Md for instance has a dedicated place for Sibs and Ribs to dock
Since this is the heart of sailboat country and propane motors like mine have become the flavor of the month
I decided that far too many people were checking it out and I don't want to come back to my boat after eating only to find the motor missing. In fact it was one of the admirers who suggested I get a lock

Does anyone else have a lock for there motor?
If so what type?

Last edited:

zurk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Looking for an outboard lock

worse than useless. they will just take a reciprocating saw to your wood transom or take the whole boat.
just bolt it to the transom and hope for the best. at least if they take it you wont lose your transom.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would hope that if somebody pulled out a saw in broad daylight they would be noticed.
I would never tie up an inflatable at night.

This is why I have an inflatable in the first place.
I have no place to put a trailor that is secure enough for my taste

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Remember, any lock is certainly not going to stop somebody that truly wants what you have, but it does stop those looking to capitalize on taking something quickly. So a lock makes your stuff that much hard to take quickly and they will move to the next victim for their bounty. So If that lock makes your equipment even a little more secure, then go for it...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

I have a 70 pound Boxer dog with hard scowling face tied with chain to my engine, perfect deterrent method when going for lunch at a public beach. Any lock is better than not having any...

Happy Boating