Just picked up a new radio

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I know a lot of people believe that all they need is a cell phone.
But for those of us that venture out into salt water or very large lakes a handheld VHF radio is a must have.
I ran into a half price sale on a Uniden MHS135DSC VHF handheld radio.
Now I understand that this is a one receiver radio and has been replaced by the MHS235DSC which is a two receiver radio
But for 99% of the usage on an inflatable this is a great unit.
It allows you talk to other boaters, monitor commercial shipping traffic, contact the Coast Guard of the USA and Canada if necessary and auto plot to a DSC call.
(FYI: anyone fishing off shore in the USA or Canada is now required to have a DSC radio)

The radio allows you to assign and register a MMSI number which is in turn used by the coast guard to identify you.
It allows you to hit the DISTRESS button on the radio and get immediate help.
Now you hope you never have to use it , but it is nice to have.

What is more useful in day to day is the GPS and Compass and Weather Alerts
There is no question that this is the best $135 I ever spent
I forgot to mention that the radio is also floatable so if it falls in the water or you fall in the water it will still work. It meets JIS8

image.jpg

Last edited:

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Just picked up a new radio

Nice find!

I know a lot of people believe that all they need is a cell phone.
Cell phones get wet and don't work when you are swimming. Plus cell phone service is non existent where we sometimes go boating. A radio is the only form of communication, plus we have Rescue 21, which is the Coast Guard monitoring up and down every coast in the USA.

(FYI: anyone fishing off shore in the USA or Canada is now required to have a DSC radio)
That is not true at least in the USA. You are not required to even carry a radio. The rule does state that all new radios must be DSC equipped though. I personally carry one on my person, and have a nice fixed mount tied into my chart plotter.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice find!

That is not true at least in the USA. You are not required to even carry a radio. The rule does state that all new radios must be DSC equipped though. I personally carry one on my person, and have a nice fixed mount tied into my chart plotter.

I stand partially corrected.
The new radio requirement I spoke of at present is only being done in DelMarVa because of a drowning.
Originally they didn't check boats under I believe they told me 21 feet , Now they are checking all boats in the bays and the Atlantic.
The boat that was in the tragedy was actually required to have a radio in this area.

The boat had a cell phone but no radio so they could not be found and rescued.
I was at a boating event last month where the Coast Guard , Md DNR and De DNR talked about this .
When I asked about a regular VHF radio I was told of the new DSC radios. And Rescue 21

This is a link what the CG past out to us
Mayday: Use VHF Radio for Emergencies at Sea and Distress Calls | Boating Safety

We tend to have a very high CG presence in this area so when they tell us to do something you do it.

There is actually a boating safety course being offered in this area that is now Mandatory for anyone born after 1972
They also teach you how to use a radio in the class.
The CG and the state got together to create this course.

Btw
We were also told to monitor the commercial shipping channels while in the Chesapeake Bay below Baltimore( Baltimore has major ports and heavy commercial boat traffic. They also have Bay Pilots and only they are allowed to bring commercial shipping up the Bay)

Last edited:

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We tend to have a very high CG presence in this area so when they tell us to do something you do it.
We have a few CG boats floating around, as I launch right in front of their quarters.

attachment.php

Btw
We were also told to monitor the commercial shipping channels while in the Chesapeake Bay below Baltimore( Baltimore has major ports and heavy commercial boat traffic. They also have Bay Pilots and only they are allowed to bring commercial shipping up the Bay)
The San Francisco Bay has the same rules. Never bothered listening for the ships conversations as you can see them coming pretty clearly, unless it is foggy, in which case I need to be onshore. They have specific shipping channels since the SF Bay is mostly shallow.

Attachments

• Coast Guard Station.jpg
    Coast Guard Station.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0