Anchor line managment

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How you all managing your anchor line?

I was just dumping them at the corner of my boat. It was okay. However, I just got me 100 ft instead of 50 ft I had previously and realize I better organize a bit. I'm thinking about finding something like 8” x 8” x 12” plastic container, drill a couple of holes on the bottom and just dump the line as I pull the line up from water?

I am interested in knowing what you do.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anchor line managment

I have found a milk crate works excellent for 320ft of line with 15ft of chain. Plus it holds my anchor in place thru the roughest conditions. Something similar but a hair smaller would probably fit the bill for you.

attachment.php

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

How you all managing your anchor line?

I was just dumping them at the corner of my boat. It was okay. However, I just got me 100 ft instead of 50 ft I had previously and realize I better organize a bit. I'm thinking about finding something like 8” x 8” x 12” plastic container, drill a couple of holes on the bottom and just dump the line as I pull the line up from water?

I am interested in knowing what you do.

I made a square frame of 1/2 pvc pipe, some T's, and some end caps. Sort of like this

frame.jpg

to wrap my anchor line around as I pulled it in. I had ~120 of line and a 6' chain. There were a couple of snap rings to secure the remaining line after whatever I needed was paid out. The chain also could wrap around and the anchor itself could be secured to the frame with a bungee. When wrapped up it made a nice neat storage for the anchor and rode. In addition if you cap the PVC the frame will float. When I used this most, I would just set the anchor and leave it in the water. When I wanted to take the boat out I would untie it and then throw the frame with the extra rode overboard. When I came back I would just pick up the frame with the rode on it and resecure the boat.

Last edited:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I second Peter's idea on using a milk crate. It has worked well for me for storing line, though I have anchor storage on a bow roller. - Grandad

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I used an old electrical wiring spool.
Worked fine but these days it's getting hard to find small wooden ones; they're usually cardboard....:mad:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Forget all about unwanted line entanglements. If your bow has a rope line you could hang anchor there along chain secured to a long line rolled into a line organizer made out of wood, hard thick plastic cut and shaped as in pics. This is the simplest and most effective line organizer you can build. You can unroll needed rope lenght very fast and lock it, when pulling line back again, simply roll it up on line organizer.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• A.JPG
    A.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 1
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 1
  • C.JPG
    C.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 0

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have found a milk crate works excellent for 320ft of line with 15ft of chain. Plus it holds my anchor in place thru the roughest conditions. Something similar but a hair smaller would probably fit the bill for you.

attachment.php

+1 for this. Dropping the line in a bin is much easier than coiling. The crate will let it drain and ventilate well. I was looking for something for a second anchor. Thanks for the idea.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

On a small inflatable you wouldn't want a huge anchor and a big milk crate, occupies too much available deck space. Line entaanglements inside a crate could be a rreal PITA when in a hurry or emergency for a fast anchor drop. With a Line Orfanizer the idea is to release the needed amount of line prior removing anchor from it's resting position, not afterwords while anchor is hanging.

Happy Boating

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

On a small inflatable you wouldn't want a huge anchor and a big milk crate, occupies too much available deck space. Line entaanglements inside a crate could be a rreal PITA when in a hurry or emergency for a fast anchor drop.
I have no experience with the limited space in an inflatable, but as for tangled line, I have no problems at all. I expect that a triplex rode could have a twist that might not coil as easily, but I use a braided nylon line. Braided line is not as easy to grip as triplex, but for a small boat, it'll handle easily and store in a crate without giving any trouble. Every boat with a bow roller has a bow locker for line storage. If there was a problem with tangling (even triplex or chain) in a locker, you wouldn't see anchors mounted this way, worldwide. - Grandad

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Grandad,

You're right about your tech appreciation, but we are talking about Loop Dad's Intex inflatable which does't have a bow line roller nor a line bow locker. The overall idea was all about optimizing sib's reduced deck available space which is a must have if you like moving confy around deck.

Happy Boating

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ended up like this:

anchor_rope.JPG

I first bought a square box, basically smaller version of the milk crate. I think it was 8" x 8" x 8". However that didn't fit next to my battery because the area available was actually triangle shaped. So I got me a basket which is a bit oval shaped but with round bottom. The material is flexible one. This fit perfectly in place with even my anchor on top for storage and transportation.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

As an arborist, I use and store a lot of ropes. 150ft. of 9/16 will easily fit into a six gallon milk crate with room left for other gear. I have eight crates that I use for rope storage.

Flaking a rope into a crate is fast and easy and if a little care is taken the rope comes right out with no tangles. Braided rope flakes better than three strand but is more difficult to splice.

Milk crates are a great idea for ropes and one I've been using for 25 years.

azzurro

Seaman

Here in Spain it is mandatory to carry a water bucket for fire extinguish (I know, that's stupid in any inflatable, but that's the law in here).
I solve both problems with a black rubber bucket for anchor line management. I have a small hole in the bucket so it can drain.
Once I got a plastic square bucket but it didn't last long because the anchor hits the bucket with each wave. Black rubber buckets are really heavy duty.
I guess that's why people loves milk crates, they are also heavy duty and drain.
Also, the bigger the box the better. If you roll the line for storage, it twists and it's easier to get knots. It's much better to drop the line in a box.