RIB an Hydrofoil

tinasdude

Cadet
I have a 10' 2" Bombard RIB. 5 hp Nissan 4 stroke tiller. Have been reading for a couple of days. It is almost unanimous that that a foil will help this size boat, style and power. I am having great difficulty in finding something that will work with this motor. Stingray jr a no from what I have read. Please any advice or direction would be appreciated. And yes I will get a tiller extender.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: RIB an Hydrofoil

I have a Bombard that is one size smaller (9'6" i think), it's the Max 3+, SIB.

What issue are you having, difficulty planing?

If you are looking for more power, that 5 HP Nissan you have is a carburetor change away from being a 6 HP. Tohatsu makes all of the small Nissans, Mercury's, and Evinrudes. The 4/5/6 Hp engines are in the same engine family, the only difference being the carb.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Yep, what's your tech difficulty to start with. To plane a 10"2 with a small 5 HP engine is sometimes mission impossible, assume that rib is rated for at least a 10 HP ? with just 5 HP, good for fast displacement speeds. If your probelm is planning, try sitingt at middle deck the most forward to bow, go full wot, depending on your current weight probably will plane with you alone.

Your alternatives would be : upgrade that 5 to 6 HP (carb swap) to count with 1 more HP or get the largest HP engine transom rated for. A small rib has too much hull drag, needs a engine with instant power to overcome water drag from a dead stop.- Don't buy a Jr. Doel fin, it's useless.-

Happy Boating

tinasdude

Cadet

Yep, what's your tech difficulty to start with. To plane a 10"2 with a small 5 HP engine is sometimes mission impossible, assume that rib is rated for at least a 10 HP ? with just 5 HP, good for fast displacement speeds. If your probelm is planning, try sitingt at middle deck the most forward to bow, go full wot, depending on your current weight probably will plane with you alone.

Your alternatives would be : upgrade that 5 to 6 HP (carb swap) to count with 1 more HP or get the largest HP engine transom rated for. A small rib has too much hull drag, needs a engine with instant power to overcome water drag from a dead stop.- Don't buy a Jr. Doel fin, it's useless.-

Happy Boating

It will plane, and once up does nicely. It is a dog getting up. How significant is 1 hp on these small boats? I think I have found the solution for now. Lifters. MAXI MARINE - Detachable Planing System for Inflatable Sportboats/RIB (Lifters - special trim tabs). From what i understand these really work well for small underpowered boats. Ordered some and will post the outcome. Bought a portabote and was gonna sell the RIB, but I see to much potential in it to sell. Beginning the quest for a 9.8 2 stroke to maximize the fun. Everything goes in the travel trailer or the back of the truck. Really starting to like portables

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If underpowerd, trim tabs, lifters would be the way to go, to help engine out, move your weight the most forward to bow and full throttle to plane faster. Post end results with Lifters once installed, personally find those to be clown shoes, way too long for my liking. Minimum investment, try Lifters out, if still needs a slight little help from friends, pass that 5 to a 6 HP, power shoud definitely increase to plane faster. But that, you'll need to discover by yourself. A 9.8 compared to a 5 is a happier story...

BTW, what's you're overall good or bad experience with Portabote, is it the old or new model ? Are you plainly satisfied with it's opt performance as stated on their lier web page ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

tinasdude

Cadet

Just got the porta-bote. 2 of us put it together without any difficulty and had never seen one before. I only had the 5 hp. The 14 foot bote is almost 90 lbs I think. with the 2 of us, it didnt plane, but moved decently. 2 of us fished very comfortably and room for plenty of stuff. very stable. will hold over 800 lbs. Never thought about a folding boat being anything much. A friend asked me about them. So I did some research. Almost everything I read was favorable.. Got a good deal on a used one because it didnt have the wheels and they wanted rid of it. The weren't living near the water. My RIB doesn't have a bench seat. Trying to remedy that. The bote will take care of all my needs and seems to be very durable. 3 people could fish out of it. not ideal but workable. You can't put the boat in the trunk of a car though. Waiting on the lifters

tinasdude

Cadet

Sorry not sure if old or new model. Has a serial number. I will find out. Be a while. left it at a friends in florida. Gonna be playing with the RIB. Located an old 9.8 Merc. So tiller extender. lifters and the 9.8 will make me smile a lot I am sure. I will try the lifters with the 5 hp first since I know what it was like with the 5