Inflatable with a sail kit

Lexxter

Cadet
Has anyone put a sail kit on your inflatable? I am curious as to how well they handle going upwind? I have been thinking about putting one of these sail kits on my Seahawk II.https://www.sailboatstogo.com/catalog/DINGHY_RIG

I just can't seem to find any independent reviews of these kits. Their videos look pretty good on youtube, but they don't really show how well these things tack upwind and all the videos are from the owner of the company.

If anyone has any experience with these kits or any others, please let me know. The price is pretty high as well. I would love to find a cheaper, better alternative.
$T2eC16NHJIkE9qU3jckhBRh!gJhgJ!~~60_3.JPG

dzager

Recruit
Re: Inflatable with a sail kit

I have the sail kit on a Sevylor 2 person kayak. It works pretty well. Upwind is good with the lee boards. The negative is as the wind picks up to 15 or more. Then the inflatable will twist, and the sail will spill off. Compared to a hard shell the speed is not as great. Wind below 15 it is comparable.

The sail kit is pretty robust. I wasn't worried about it breaking or being damaged.

Takes a while to set up. Add 15 minutes to regular inflatable set up.

There is a used one on chicago craigslist.

Lexxter

Cadet
Re: Inflatable with a sail kit

I have the sail kit on a Sevylor 2 person kayak. It works pretty well. Upwind is good with the lee boards. The negative is as the wind picks up to 15 or more. Then the inflatable will twist, and the sail will spill off. Compared to a hard shell the speed is not as great. Wind below 15 it is comparable.

The sail kit is pretty robust. I wasn't worried about it breaking or being damaged.

Takes a while to set up. Add 15 minutes to regular inflatable set up.

There is a used one on chicago craigslist.

Thanks for the info dzager. I would buy that one if Chicago was a quick drive, I think I am going to try a sailstogo kit. I can't seem to find anything cheaper. I think I might wait until spring though.