Saturn Mini cats??

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So, I currently have an Intex Mariner 4....love it, it was a starter boat to see how much I would like it....and I'm hooked! I had been looking to purchase a jon boat with a trailer and then customize it for fishing. However...I'm still being pulled towards an inflatable. I plan to use the M4 for the rest of the season (I'm in the mountains so by Nov it'll be too cold to get on a boat). Now, moving on to next year I'm looking to upgrade to something a bit more respectable and to use with an outboard. I have been looking a bit at different brands and the thing that is catching my eye the most is the Saturn Mini Cat 12'. It has a drop stich floor, which after studying up on I think I'm actually liking it vs a ply floor, and the vids I've seen show it using a 5hp outboard and jumping up on a plane quickly! It seems extremely stable and very durable. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with them and could offer any input. I'm in no rush and don't really plan to purchase until next year so I have plenty of time to research

Thanks!

New Saturn 12' Inflatable Mini Cat MC365 - YouTube

G

Re: Saturn Mini cats??

So, I currently have an Intex Mariner 4....love it, it was a starter boat to see how much I would like it....and I'm hooked! I had been looking to purchase a jon boat with a trailer and then customize it for fishing. However...I'm still being pulled towards an inflatable. I plan to use the M4 for the rest of the season (I'm in the mountains so by Nov it'll be too cold to get on a boat). Now, moving on to next year I'm looking to upgrade to something a bit more respectable and to use with an outboard. I have been looking a bit at different brands and the thing that is catching my eye the most is the Saturn Mini Cat 12'. It has a drop stich floor, which after studying up on I think I'm actually liking it vs a ply floor, and the vids I've seen show it using a 5hp outboard and jumping up on a plane quickly! It seems extremely stable and very durable. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with them and could offer any input. I'm in no rush and don't really plan to purchase until next year so I have plenty of time to research

Thanks!

New Saturn 12' Inflatable Mini Cat MC365 - YouTube

Based on somecof the videos I watched IT looks more for cruising/racing instead of fishing. I do not see a good place to mount a cooler. Looks like a little bit of wind and you can lose alto of stuff from your boat. For racing you need to throw a 25hp on it which will run you 2k for a decent once. would love to hear seariders opinion as he sells inflatables.

Last edited:

mrdrh99

Based on somecof the videos I watched IT looks more for cruising/racing instead of fishing. I do not see a good place to mount a cooler. Looks like a little bit of wind and you can lose alto of stuff from your boat. For racing you need to throw a 25hp on it which will run you 2k for a decent once

I'm not really into the racing/high speed....the most I would put on would be a 9.9. I also saw a pic on their website where they had a 4pc rod holder mounted to the transom....plus I never keep my fish, I'm a catch and release fly fisherman so just a small bag cooler like I normally use would suffice. I LOVE how open the floor is. Question though, how sturdy is that drop stitch floor? Easy to stand/walk around?

Thanks Weimed

Drowned Rat

Captain

Read the description carefully on the website for those Saturn Cats. I'm a Saturn fan but those Cats they sell are not designed for what most people would purchase a boat like that for. They are more for show than anything else.

mrdrh99

Like I said....I have plenty of time to research....I'm trying to keep it under $1000....preferably under $800 and so this looks even better. Anyone have any recommendations?

smashed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mrd, I am also coming from a M4 and I would say I lake the kaboats more. Especially after seeing those videos with the black 16' kaboat on the boatstogo site. After the M4 it is all about speed for me.
Do you have a gas outboard? If not, this is what I would spend the money on - a 3.5 - 4 hp outboard. It will double your speed with the M4 and give you more range. And you should be able to use the original motor mount of the M4.
However with a kaboat and a 8/9.8 hp you could possibly go upstream any nearby rivers in the mountains where you live, given they are at least 3' deep. Sounds more adventurous, doesn't it?

I would look for a vessel that will give me different experience. I can't imagine that with the cat you will be able to do much more than with the mariner - just cruising. And the fact that it is rated for up to 10 hp motor speaks of the expectations for its stability and integrity.

A kayak like the one that Desode bought might be another option (although above the 1000 mark). It will give you the exercise that we are all lacking with the motor boats. A narrow hard shell kayak is an excellent option, now that I think of it. A used one shouldn't be more than 400-500 I suppose.

I hope that you will be happy with your choice!

Last edited:

mrdrh99

Interior of kaboat is too small....any opinions on the sd330 or maybe even one of the smaller 9ft ones?

G

Interior of kaboat is too small....any opinions on the sd330 or maybe even one of the smaller 9ft ones?

denfeder had a sale about a month ago. they were selling the zodiac zoom 310s for $600. that was the best deal I seen this year and I been looking around since march. I would say wait for off season you might be able to get that deal again. the only issue is the outboard. DO NOT cheap out on an outboard which a nice used 15 can cost up to 1600. that outboard can save your life and lots of money from being towed in. I am using a 6hp and get annoyed watching sinitre blow away (good thing his new boat doesn't plane easy I can kind of keep up). I have the zodiac zoom 350s 11.ft and I only use about 3/4th of the room I have. even with my wife on it there is lots of space left over. I almost bought the 330 but searider talked me into getting something bigger. I do not regret it so far because I will be taking my wife and daughter on the boat once she gets a little older. the only thing I regret is buying a zodiac zoom because its very hard to find any mods at all ex: floor, I cannot find an air floor for my boat, with the Saturn everything is interchangeable.

Last edited:
G

I agree with smashed put a 3.5 two stroke on it, it will change your experience for at least one year until you can think over investing into something bigger plus when you upgrade u will have that 3.5 as a back up for emergencies.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Cat's air decks have too much pressure issues, needs to be max psi inflated, along re inflation once at use to perform as epected. SD 365 is a good first starter alternative, if required, will handle a larger engine than those Saturn cats- Available with inflatable air deck or wooden deck, you choose.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class

mrdrh99,

This is not a soliciation per se, but I may be looking to unload my quicksilver for a good price. I planned to giveit to my nephew, but he is planning to stay in his college town now (Georgia) and I am not sure I want to store it. I have recent videos of it on this site and Weimed has been on it with me as recently as a month or two ago. PM me if you might be interested and can provide more details. It would give you options and get you in the game relatively cheap

mrdrh99

So, is zodiac better than Saturn? I like the size and price on that boat but damn its heavy!!! I am trying to hunt down a used jet ski trailer to transport....have been transporting my mariner 4 on top of my blazer but that wouldn't be an option with this.

G

So, is zodiac better than Saturn? I like the size and price on that boat but damn its heavy!!! I am trying to hunt down a used jet ski trailer to transport....have been transporting my mariner 4 on top of my blazer but that wouldn't be an option with this.

I would say everything zodiac under 2k is very similar to Saturn. When you step up to hypalon around 3k then it will not match up. Zodiac makes inflatables that can cost over 100k

smashed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not trying to be annoying, but the 12 and 13 footers from Saturn or any other manufacturer are a joke. Especially the transom boards being just an inch thick (and severely inflated motor HP rating by Saturn). Mrd, if you will be spending over a grand, better get a 14 or 15 footer to get your moneys worth. They are words apart for a mere 200 or less bucks (14') difference, in my opinion. Now if you opt for a used one or a discounted 12 footer, then it will be an acceptable decision in my book.

What gas motor do you have?

Last edited:

mrdrh99

So what I'm seeing the zodiac is well over 100lbs but Saturn is only 85....same as my m4.... what do you guys know about drop stitch floors?

mrdrh99

Not trying to be annoying, but the 12 and 13 footers from Saturn or any other manufacturer are a joke. Especially the transom boards being just an inch thick (and severely inflated motor HP rating by Saturn). Mrd, if you will be spending over a grand, better get a 14 or 15 footer to get your moneys worth. They are words apart for a mere 200 or less bucks (14') difference, in my opinion. Now if you opt for a used one or a discounted 12 footer, then it will be an acceptable decision in my book.

What gas motor do you have?
I currently only have a 30# troller. Im trying to keep my boat purchase around $800 or less BC I will need an outboard also. Seeing several outboards for under $600, older Evinrude and mercury motors....would love to get a boat and motor for about $1500

Last edited:

mrdrh99

Keep in mind, I'm mainly dealing with flat water....I'm not very worried about speed so i may very well get the boat and keep the teller

G

I currently only have a 30# troller. Im trying to keep my boat purchase around $800 or less BC I will need an outboard also. Seeing several outboards for under $600, older Evinrude and mercury motors....would love to get a boat and motor for about $1500

don't buy any outboard older then like 1992 because parts get obsolete quick. when looking for an ob go to ********** look at the model if a bunch of stuff is obsolete don't buy it. by the way don't buy a force/gamefisher motors I already made that mistake once.