how do you handle your outboard ?

pgnyc

Seaman
Hi,

so , how do you handle your outboard ?

i mean from your house to car to boat and reverse ?

i looked at the weight and i see ~115Lbs for a 15HP and ~180Lbs for 25HP (tohatsu)

do you have like a modified dolly or your are all bodybuilder ???

i am really interested for the next season for a saturn 385 or 430 and an 15HP .

on their site they have for the 430 : Max Motor Power : 40 HP (15" shaft / 175 lbs) <-- how possible ?

Pascal

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: how do you handle your outboard ?

I keep my 14' Saturn (fully rigged) winched up to the ceiling in my garage. The motor is on a pulley that I support from the ceiling as well. I just lower the boat onto the trailer then roll the trailer under the engine and lower it onto the transom. I can be ready to go in less than 15 minutes.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

I find Saturn inflatables to be highly overpowered compared to other brands using smaller engines on same sizes. If going for a 365 try to get a Tohatsu 18 HP, if 2 strokes much lighter and a 30 HP for a 420. Both will perform excellent on any of those sizes. A 40 HP on a 420 is just too much unless you'll be using that size sib really overloaded as a workboat.

Happy Boating

G

Hi,

i looked at the weight and i see ~115Lbs for a 15HP and ~180Lbs for 25HP (tohatsu)

i am really interested for the next season for a saturn 385 or 430 and an 15HP .

on their site they have for the 430 : Max Motor Power : 40 HP (15" shaft / 175 lbs) <-- how possible ?

Pascal

Look for a two stroke motor a 15 should weight about 85 lb. I live on a second floor walk up and carry my engine down the stairs every time

G

Hi,

Pascal
Hey pascal, welcome to the forum. I see u live in lic, not to far from me. Scroll down and read the Jamaica bay meet thread. There's a couple of us that launch our boats from Brooklyn. Hopefully you buy a nice Saturn and join us as we rip up the bay

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 40hp (2 stroke) stays on my boat, which lives on the trailer. It is supposed to weigh around 190lbs, but I added an electric starter and solenoid to it. So say at 200lbs, it requires a cherry picker to move it around. In the past before I put a starter etc on it, I dropped the lower leg off it, and man handled the power head off. The weight wouldn't be so bad, except it is awkward to handle. I am not a weak person, but for safety of the motor, I decided my motor was best handled with my cherry picker.

Last edited:

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

During boating season I keep mine partially inflated on top of a blanket on my garage floor. The 9.9 Johnson 2 stroke (72 lbs) sits on a sawhorse.

For transporting to the water I load the boat into the back of my truck, then load all of the gear into the boat. The motor is the first to go in, on top of a blanket (my SIB has a wood deck). The motor sits tiller side down, and I cover the prop and space it away from the tubes. I try to block the motor in place so it doesn't shift around during travel. Then I load the fuel tank, tackle box and any other gear.

Launching and recovering is a small process for me. I have to unload the gear from the boat, then unload the boat from the truck, inflate to full, launch it, then load the motor and gear. Takes about 20 minutes.

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use one of these: Garelick Eez-In

I have a 15 hp Tohatsu and sometimes I feel like I am breaking a gut moving it on and off the transom. That said - I did use to lift weights so I strap on one of those wide gut belts and grab the thing and two-hand that thing on the transom. If it were any heavier like 150 - I would get a pal to help me with it. When I mount the motor I feel like a BIG man and glad that I didn't get a hernia doing it. :D

The Garelick carrier is easy and beefy enough to mount the outboard onto, as well as move it to a different location for winter storage.

pgnyc

Seaman

Thank you all .
the pal system is a good idea and the carrier too.

Pascal

azzurro

Seaman

Check this trolley. I got one for my Honda BF20 46kg 4 stroke (I had to modify it for stability) but for a 15hp 2 stroke should be OK.
ROOTEQ, the smart solution for handling your outboard
I love its small size (and it's foldable) and wheels (for sand beaches).
However it is not so good for winterizing because you cannot put a bucket down the engine. Consider earmuffs.
Maybe you should also need launching wheels for your boat.