How/when to patch a leak

joemac356

Cadet
A couple of nights ago, I went out on a local lake with my son.
I rowed while he rode.

Upon returning, we beached the boat on the stones at the shore and apparently suffered a small puncture of the inflatable floor.
I'm probably over-thinking this (as usual), but I find myself conflicted as to whether or not the floor should be inflated when applying the patch.
My reasoning: if deflated when patching, the substrate PVC will stretch more than the patch when inflated, potentially lifting the patch. If inflated while patching, it will do the opposite and possibly fail.

What is the accepted method of patching PVC?
Boat is Intex Seahawk 2.

As usual, thanks in advance.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: How/when to patch a leak

Patch it defleated against a flat surface, use a good pvc 2 part glue and follow gluing procedures.-

Happy Boating

deejaycee_2000

Captain

It's the same principle as patching a bicycle tube, need to be deflated, afterwards put a flat piece of timber over it and put a few bricks or something heavy on there and leave like that overnight so the pressure goes even over the patch for a perfect seal ...

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

That pool toy boat, that is made out of S80 vinyl, needs to be patched with a vinyl repair kit.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Actually I was trying to educate him that it is not an inflatable boat. It is a blow up pool toy made out of a different material than inflatable boats are made out of. And I'm pretty sure that telling him to use a vinyl repair kit instead of a PVC kit is what he needed to know. But thanks for jumping in and judging me.

joemac356

Cadet

Actually I was trying to educate him that it is not an inflatable boat. It is a blow up pool toy made out of a different material than inflatable boats are made out of. And I'm pretty sure that telling him to use a vinyl repair kit instead of a PVC kit is what he needed to know. But thanks for jumping in and judging me.

Yeah, OK.
It looks like I'm not the one who needs the education.
I guess the next thing is for you to refer to me as, "son".