My Intex Seahawk II stories and custom floor build

SilleeSpyder

Cadet
Hello everyone,

Since this is my first post, I will start by telling you all a little about my semi-colorful inflatable boat history. In 2004 I was at Costco with some buddies and saw this great big raft for $80.00 -I couldn't believe it and bought it on the spot. I always enjoyed the outdoors -usually off-roading in my 78 CJ-5 or just camping. At this point in time I was living in Arizona and would often camp by Apache lake so this raft was perfect. I took it out with my wife (who was then my girlfriend) for the first time and took quite well to paddling. I had so much fun, I thought it was one of the best purchases I ever made. I took it out a number of other times with my friends -one of which had bought a used Mariner 4 without the floor. At that point in time, we didn't know it was supposed to have a floor and we were puzzled by the sagging floor and how impractical it was. Either way we took them both out one time when the lake was drained 50 ft for dam maintenance. This exposed a lot of extra space on an island in the middle of the lake which we decided to camp on. Another area of the lake that was exposed looked like the moon, and we found all sorts of interesting things there such as an old wallet, boat motors, sunglasses etc. If we had had a metal detector we would have hit jackpot for sure. When we left, my friends blazer broke down and we were towed by drunks out of the canyon -which was the scariest experience of my life... and its own story.

Another time I took it to Yuma where friends and I were going to find a spot on Squaw Lake to camp. I bought a Seahawk 2 (different model) for my other friend to use. And if anyone ever wanted to know the difference, then this is the story for you. I thought I remembered good camping spots on this secret part of the lake when I was a kid -so we paddled our way there. It was a neat path -like a small river through the thick reeds that led to a huge open lake. However that was all surrounded by either cliffs and reeds so we were out of luck for a camping spot. It was getting late and the wind was really picking up. It was tough rowing getting out of the open part of the lake, but once we got into the narrow river-like section in the reeds, the wind was blocked and paddling was easier. Once we got out of that area we decided we would camp on an island kind of near the launching point. This area drained out into the Colorado river near the Imperial dam and had a slight current as well as strong winds going in the wrong direction. Since the paddles on the Seahawk 2 were useless compared to the oar locked versions on my raft -not to mention I was the strongest rower, we tied our rafts together and went for it. We paddled our hardest through the wind and very choppy water but found we were only going backwards toward the Colorado and toward the dam. Imagining getting trapped behind the gates of the dam, I paddled toward the reeds of the narrow area of the lake. We grabbed onto them and pulled ourselves into the opening of the narrow channel where we tied our rafts to the reeds and waited. After about a half hour the winds were not letting up and my friend in the Seahawk 2 was getting antsy. He said "Lets see if we can pull ourselves along the reeds and get to the shore." I said we should wait and that the wind would probably die down once the temperature outside settled -since it was evening. He said "It might not change" And I thought -heh, might as well give it a shot even if it is about a mile to the shore. So I woke up my friend who was napping on the other side of my raft and we started pulling ourselves along the reeds. About 50 feet in, a reed poked through both chambers of the Seahawk 2 and my friend was also poked in the eye by another. He started sinking, My friend in my raft desperately tried to glue a patch onto the sinking raft but the choppy water made him drop the kit. He said in more colorful language "lets just throw this raft into the reeds right now!" So we did and they sat on top of the reeds with the wind blowing and the water splashing everywhere trying to figure out what to do now. This moment for some reason felt a lot more dangerous and desperate than it really was. I tried shining an S.O.S. with my flashlight toward the shore where others were camping, but there was no response. I also had to continuously keep re-inflating my raft because it had small leaks from me over-inflating it in the past :/ -an easier thing to do in Arizona since the sun can really bake onto things directly in it. So we called home wondering if someone had a boat or something to get us out. My poor friend in my raft called his wife and got yelled at by her -it wasn't his fault at all! Mine just sighed and seemed annoyed. My friend who was in the Seahawk 2 called his folks who told him to call 911... When I found out that he was calling 911 -I thought "Oh God, helicopters are going to be flying over with their spotlights and we are going to look like the biggest idiots in the world." Luckily, we got out of that one somehow -either he didnt really call or they figured it wasn't a big deal -I think they said we should swim out -which would actually be a dangerous thing to do with how wild the water was at the time and how close we were to the Colorado and a dam. Sigh... we had no life vests. I thought the best thing to do would be to once again wait for the wind to die down and then leave on my raft, which even though leaking was in tact. They finally got a hold of some guy with a boat who drove out to us and towed us back. We waited a couple of hours for him -and guess what- by the time he arrived, the wind had died down... He came and got us anyway and we were all a bunch of very embarrassed 30 year olds... that's right we were not teenagers -we were 30. So then why would I post this story on a forum for anyone to read? Because it really is a stupid story and I do have the ability to laugh at my own stupidity from time to time -plus it really demonstrated how superior the material of the Seahawk II is to the Seahawk 2 for those who were wondering. The reed did pierce my friend's cornea -he couldn't see well out of that eye for a couple days. And my other friend spent the night complaining about his wife after she grilled him for no reason.

So at this point the Seahawk II was barely usable and I repaired the Seahawk 2 with a patch kit. When I moved to Washington, I left the Seahawk 2 at my parents house and brought the Seahawk II with me. I repaired the Seahawk II the most I could by cementing around the boston valves, which is where I discovered the leak was coming from on both sides. I was successfully able to fix those leaks, however I could never locate the leak on the floor. At this point I bought a Mariner 4 which of course, included the roll up floor. I told my friend who bought the used Mariner 4 without the floor about this and gave him the dimensions of my floor. He then built his own roll up floor from wood and a waterproof clear rubbery material which he sewed around the wood planks, somewhat mimicking the floor that comes with the Mariner 4. We went on a camping trip with our rafts and brought the dead floored Seahawk II with us for carrying our excess gear (there were 4 of us). It did great for this and even though the floor was flat, no water was getting in.

***********************************BUILDING THE FLOOR***************************************

After buying a trolling motor for my Mariner 4 and looking at a bunch of mods on the internet from Youtube and sites such as this one -I decided to break out my new tools and build a floor to revive my old Seahawk II. After looking everywhere and seeing no trace of measurements, I flipped the raft over and made a cardboard cutout of the bottom part of the raft. I then flipped it over and put it inside -adding extra cardboard strips to the excess areas ensuring a tight fit. The total length and width measurement I got was: 93" x 28 3/4". I then cut some 1/2" plywood into 3 pieces which the lengths were: 46.5" and 2x 23.25" so I could fold the floor. I lost the paperwork for the angled cuts but I suppose I can measure my floor and photoshop a diagram in case anyone wants to know. I sanded the edges, used sealer/primer, indoor outdoor carpet and bolted hinges on. Unfortunately the 2003 model does not have the mounts for a trolling motor, so I'd have to build something that attaches to the floor if I wanted to use one with it. Also, I've already busted 2 of the plastic oar couplings so I bought 1" EMT couplings (used for electrical pipe) that seem to fit pretty snug so far -but they have yet to take the pepsi challenge -hopefully they hold up.

This floor is supported by fitting tight around the sides of the raft like the Mariner floor. Since the floor no longer inflates, it holds all the weight. From the out of water tests I've done it seems plenty strong enough and weighs about as much -maybe a little more than the stock Mariner floor.

For my first garage project at my new house, I don't think it turned out half bad -what do you think?

Attachments

• floor_folded.jpg
    floor_folded.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 11
  • bolts.jpg
    bolts.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 10
  • floor_upside_down.jpg
    floor_upside_down.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 12
  • floor_right_side_up.jpg
    floor_right_side_up.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 11
  • floor_in_raft.jpg
    floor_in_raft.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

ChristianMariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My Intex Seahawk II stories and custom floor build

Hello everyone,

Since this is my first post, I will start by telling you all a little about my semi-colorful inflatable boat history. In 2004 I was at Costco with some buddies and saw this great big raft for $80.00 -I couldn't believe it and bought it on the spot. I always enjoyed the outdoors -usually off-roading in my 78 CJ-5 or just camping. At this point in time I was living in Arizona and would often camp by Apache lake so this raft was perfect. I took it out with my wife (who was then my girlfriend) for the first time and took quite well to paddling. I had so much fun, I thought it was one of the best purchases I ever made. I took it out a number of other times with my friends -one of which had bought a used Mariner 4 without the floor. At that point in time, we didn't know it was supposed to have a floor and we were puzzled by the sagging floor and how impractical it was. Either way we took them both out one time when the lake was drained 50 ft for dam maintenance. This exposed a lot of extra space on an island in the middle of the lake which we decided to camp on. Another area of the lake that was exposed looked like the moon, and we found all sorts of interesting things there such as an old wallet, boat motors, sunglasses etc. If we had had a metal detector we would have hit jackpot for sure. When we left, my friends blazer broke down and we were towed by drunks out of the canyon -which was the scariest experience of my life... and its own story.

Another time I took it to Yuma where friends and I were going to find a spot on Squaw Lake to camp. I bought a Seahawk 2 (different model) for my other friend to use. And if anyone ever wanted to know the difference, then this is the story for you. I thought I remembered good camping spots on this secret part of the lake when I was a kid -so we paddled our way there. It was a neat path -like a small river through the thick reeds that led to a huge open lake. However that was all surrounded by either cliffs and reeds so we were out of luck for a camping spot. It was getting late and the wind was really picking up. It was tough rowing getting out of the open part of the lake, but once we got into the narrow river-like section in the reeds, the wind was blocked and paddling was easier. Once we got out of that area we decided we would camp on an island kind of near the launching point. This area drained out into the Colorado river near the Imperial dam and had a slight current as well as strong winds going in the wrong direction. Since the paddles on the Seahawk 2 were useless compared to the oar locked versions on my raft -not to mention I was the strongest rower, we tied our rafts together and went for it. We paddled our hardest through the wind and very choppy water but found we were only going backwards toward the Colorado and toward the dam. Imagining getting trapped behind the gates of the dam, I paddled toward the reeds of the narrow area of the lake. We grabbed onto them and pulled ourselves into the opening of the narrow channel where we tied our rafts to the reeds and waited. After about a half hour the winds were not letting up and my friend in the Seahawk 2 was getting antsy. He said "Lets see if we can pull ourselves along the reeds and get to the shore." I said we should wait and that the wind would probably die down once the temperature outside settled -since it was evening. He said "It might not change" And I thought -heh, might as well give it a shot even if it is about a mile to the shore. So I woke up my friend who was napping on the other side of my raft and we started pulling ourselves along the reeds. About 50 feet in, a reed poked through both chambers of the Seahawk 2 and my friend was also poked in the eye by another. He started sinking, My friend in my raft desperately tried to glue a patch onto the sinking raft but the choppy water made him drop the kit. He said in more colorful language "lets just throw this raft into the reeds right now!" So we did and they sat on top of the reeds with the wind blowing and the water splashing everywhere trying to figure out what to do now. This moment for some reason felt a lot more dangerous and desperate than it really was. I tried shining an S.O.S. with my flashlight toward the shore where others were camping, but there was no response. I also had to continuously keep re-inflating my raft because it had small leaks from me over-inflating it in the past :/ -an easier thing to do in Arizona since the sun can really bake onto things directly in it. So we called home wondering if someone had a boat or something to get us out. My poor friend in my raft called his wife and got yelled at by her -it wasn't his fault at all! Mine just sighed and seemed annoyed. My friend who was in the Seahawk 2 called his folks who told him to call 911... When I found out that he was calling 911 -I thought "Oh God, helicopters are going to be flying over with their spotlights and we are going to look like the biggest idiots in the world." Luckily, we got out of that one somehow -either he didnt really call or they figured it wasn't a big deal -I think they said we should swim out -which would actually be a dangerous thing to do with how wild the water was at the time and how close we were to the Colorado and a dam. Sigh... we had no life vests. I thought the best thing to do would be to once again wait for the wind to die down and then leave on my raft, which even though leaking was in tact. They finally got a hold of some guy with a boat who drove out to us and towed us back. We waited a couple of hours for him -and guess what- by the time he arrived, the wind had died down... He came and got us anyway and we were all a bunch of very embarrassed 30 year olds... that's right we were not teenagers -we were 30. So then why would I post this story on a forum for anyone to read? Because it really is a stupid story and I do have the ability to laugh at my own stupidity from time to time -plus it really demonstrated how superior the material of the Seahawk II is to the Seahawk 2 for those who were wondering. The reed did pierce my friend's cornea -he couldn't see well out of that eye for a couple days. And my other friend spent the night complaining about his wife after she grilled him for no reason.

So at this point the Seahawk II was barely usable and I repaired the Seahawk 2 with a patch kit. When I moved to Washington, I left the Seahawk 2 at my parents house and brought the Seahawk II with me. I repaired the Seahawk II the most I could by cementing around the boston valves, which is where I discovered the leak was coming from on both sides. I was successfully able to fix those leaks, however I could never locate the leak on the floor. At this point I bought a Mariner 4 which of course, included the roll up floor. I told my friend who bought the used Mariner 4 without the floor about this and gave him the dimensions of my floor. He then built his own roll up floor from wood and a waterproof clear rubbery material which he sewed around the wood planks, somewhat mimicking the floor that comes with the Mariner 4. We went on a camping trip with our rafts and brought the dead floored Seahawk II with us for carrying our excess gear (there were 4 of us). It did great for this and even though the floor was flat, no water was getting in.

***********************************BUILDING THE FLOOR***************************************

After buying a trolling motor for my Mariner 4 and looking at a bunch of mods on the internet from Youtube and sites such as this one -I decided to break out my new tools and build a floor to revive my old Seahawk II. After looking everywhere and seeing no trace of measurements, I flipped the raft over and made a cardboard cutout of the bottom part of the raft. I then flipped it over and put it inside -adding extra cardboard strips to the excess areas ensuring a tight fit. The total length and width measurement I got was: 93" x 28 3/4". I then cut some 1/2" plywood into 3 pieces which the lengths were: 46.5" and 2x 23.25" so I could fold the floor. I lost the paperwork for the angled cuts but I suppose I can measure my floor and photoshop a diagram in case anyone wants to know. I sanded the edges, used sealer/primer, indoor outdoor carpet and bolted hinges on. Unfortunately the 2003 model does not have the mounts for a trolling motor, so I'd have to build something that attaches to the floor if I wanted to use one with it. Also, I've already busted 2 of the plastic oar couplings so I bought 1" EMT couplings (used for electrical pipe) that seem to fit pretty snug so far -but they have yet to take the pepsi challenge -hopefully they hold up.

This floor is supported by fitting tight around the sides of the raft like the Mariner floor. Since the floor no longer inflates, it holds all the weight. From the out of water tests I've done it seems plenty strong enough and weighs about as much -maybe a little more than the stock Mariner floor.

For my first garage project at my new house, I don't think it turned out half bad -what do you think?

That's the best story I ever heard. I bookmarked it.
Also, nice floor. I am NEW NEW NEW to inflatable boats as of a few months ago, and I am in love. I already bought and sold a seahawk 2 ( not II ) and bought and popped a challenger 300.

I finally got my dream boat, the mariner 4. Building a hard floor right now, loving the way yours looks, hoping my turns out good too.
Welcome on man, and happy boating!

IRONets

Recruit

Thank you SilleeSpyder for the story and floor dimensions for Seahawk II. Looks awesome!
It is just in time, as I am trying quickly to build the floor and motor mount for salmon fishing in Puget Sound and your post is super helpful. Couple questions.

• After sanding the board sides, do you advise to use cut PVC pipes to fit around the floor perimeter or pipe insulation tubes to protect boat sides, or carpet buffer is sufficient?
  • Should the floor be deflated or inflated when on water with the board floor? I can't figure this one out..
  • I forgot to add, anyway you can restore the angle cuts measurement? That would save me ton of time..

Thanks again for the post and input!

Last edited:

SilleeSpyder

Cadet

Thank you SilleeSpyder for the story and floor dimensions for Seahawk II. It is just in time, as I am trying quickly to build the floor and motor mount for salmon fishing in Puget Sound and find this post very useful. Couple questions.

• Should I use cut PVC pipes around the floor perimeter or cut pipe insulation tubes would work as well to protect sides?
  • When on water using hard floor, should the OEM floor be deflated or inflated? What would either affect as far as stability of load weight? I cannot figure this one out.
  • Mine is an older model without motor mount, I wonder if use of electric high schedule PVC instead of metal would work like in this post this post ? I don't have ready access to bend metal, but PVC can be bent easy.
  • I have no experience in boating, would minn kota 50 lb thrust + marine battery be too much for Seahawk II? Should I get a lower thrust trolling motor with lighter battery?

Thanks again for the post and input!

My inflatable floor leaks and I can't fix it, therefore my hard floor is supported by fitting tightly between the outer tubing without the floor being inflated (similar to how the Mariner 4 floor stays in place). I do not have any pvc pipe for reinforcement -I think that is something people do when using a hard floor + floor inflation or for fitting multiple pieces together (mine uses hinges) It might also reinforce the floor some, but for my application it didn't seem necessary and would compromise the portability a little bit. I also do not have any perimeter tubing around the edges so I can keep the sides thinner and allow me to wedge the floor in better. Now I did sand all the edges smooth and have carpet overlaying it -so there shouldn't be a puncture or tear problem from it. It is a fairly simple design. I weigh a good 220 and in my tests it seems to hold up just fine -however, I am going to be trying it out on the water for the first time next Friday when I go to lake Kachess with my friends. They will be using the Seahawk with the new floor and I will use my Mariner 4. I think having the Mariner floor helped me figure out how to make the floor fit well. My new Seahawk floor fits more tightly than my Mariner floor and has to be worked in a bit -which is good for the type of design I have. I expect it should safely be able to hold at least the capacity of the raft which I believe is 660 lbs.

As far as trolling motors go, I have little experience with them -all from a couple trips in the last few weeks. I have the Minn-Kota Endura C-38 -which has 38 lbs of thrust. I got that one mainly because they had a deal at Walmart.com where you get a free charger with it at $140 or $150 -so it was basically the same price as the 30 lb motor + the charger purchased separately. I bought the Minn Kota power center also which is a battery box that includes a 60 amp breaker, a battery life meter, and 2 cigarette lighter adaptors. It also has a nice and easy way to connect your wires from your trolling motor. Inside I just bought a group 27 Everstart Marine battery from Walmart with 110 amp hours for 80 bucks.

I tend to start the day using it in speed 4 mostly which is roughly how fast I can row (maybe just a hair slower as I can row with the best of 'em). But speed 5 is alot faster -probably the biggest jump between the speeds. I aslo hear the battery life is used much quicker on speed 5. When I travelled at speed 4 about 3-4 miles up the lake, it took a little more than an hour to get there and my battery meter showed 3/4 full. I went speed 5 on the way back -a little less staight of a path -probably more like 4 miles- and when I was done it showed half full at first -but the 3/4 full by the time I got home. My first camping trip, I probably spent a good 3 hours on the lake using speed 4 40% of the time, speed 3 20% of the time and speed 5 another 40% of the time. It showed half full when I got back -so I'm still not entirely sure how much time I get out of it out there. Maybe I'll find out next week. I was originally going to go with the 40 lb motor because I wanted more time out there, but still have enough power to get me comfortably through windy conditions (If you read my story, you can understand why ;) ). From what I hear, there seems to be a speed threshold on these rafts, due to how they flex from the power, or due to the shape of them or something and after a certain amount of power you won't really notice a difference in power. From what I read on motor reviews, people did seem to notice a bit of difference between the 30 and 40 lb motor. I don't have personal experience on that matter so I don't know how true the whole speed threshold thing is. Now I will say this, If you get a 50 lb trolling motor and your speed 3 is like a speed 4 on my 38, then you can happily troll around at a comfortable speed using the same battery power -the difference would be you could maybe go much faster if you wanted. But if speeds 1-4 are somehow standard, which the speed difference between 4 and 5 on my motor make me think it could be possible, then your faster speed will use a bit more battery than mine would if you wanted to use it. I'm sure someone with more experience on trolling motors will chime in and sort this out for us...

As far as a mount goes, I may eventually mount a removable one to my floor from electrical emt and use a pipe bender from my dad's shop or something -and have it hang over the back. We'll see -but for now its a rowing raft.

Good luck on your endeavors, and I hope my info was helpful to you!

SilleeSpyder

Cadet

That's the best story I ever heard. I bookmarked it.
Also, nice floor. I am NEW NEW NEW to inflatable boats as of a few months ago, and I am in love. I already bought and sold a seahawk 2 ( not II ) and bought and popped a challenger 300.

I finally got my dream boat, the mariner 4. Building a hard floor right now, loving the way yours looks, hoping my turns out good too.
Welcome on man, and happy boating!

Just saw your floor on the Mariner 4 thread -very cool! We'll see in a week how mine holds up -I'll be sure to post about it and include pictures. Funny thing is that I am planning on using the exact same folding chairs on my new floor! That's going to be way better than what I'm used to. If I like the floor enough, I may consider making one for my Mariner 4 also.

Its a drag you got a hole in yours... Glad to see you fixed it and it didn't seem floor related. As far as holding the pieces together, I think the hinges I used on mine will work like a charm -again, we'll see for sure next weekend! Hope you have a good trip next time, and pray you don't end up in bad situations like mine!

SilleeSpyder

Cadet

Here is a diagram I made showing the measurements. The picture is of an exact scale model. If you use these measurements, you will notice a slight offset of the nose edges to the seam of the raft, but its pretty close -enough to fit quite snugly and it wont look shoddy. You may see this in the image above where the floor is shown inside the raft. I remembered that I actually cut the main piece a little shorter than the measurement above -but it is correct in the diagram. I did this so I would have a little room between the two outer pieces when folded. There is also a small amount of space -maybe less than a quarter inch- between each piece because I need to be able to fold it. The space is very tight there as you can see in the above picture -it helps keep the floor rigid wen placed, though I don't know whether that is totally necessary. The floor is cut between the 3.25" measurements and the 47" main piece. Don't forget to sand the edges!

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

flo_meas.jpgflo_meas_vert.jpg

Last edited:

IRONets

Recruit

Here is a diagram I made showing the measurements. The picture is of an exact scale model. If you use these measurements, you will notice a slight offset of the nose edges to the seam of the raft, but its pretty close -enough to fit quite snugly and it wont look shoddy. You may see this in the image above where the floor is shown inside the raft. I remembered that I actually cut the main piece a little shorter than the measurement above -but it is correct in the diagram. I did this so I would have a little room between the two outer pieces when folded. There is also a small amount of space -maybe less than a quarter inch- between each piece because I need to be able to fold it. The space is very tight there as you can see in the above picture -it helps keep the floor rigid wen placed, though I don't know whether that is totally necessary. The floor is cut between the 3.25" measurements and the 47" main piece. Don't forget to sand the edges!

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

View attachment 205853View attachment 205854

Thank you for such a great job and adding value for all Seahawk II owners. This saves ton of time and material. THANKS!!!

Lexxter

Cadet

Do you place anything between the hinges and bolt heads on the bottom side of your floor and the floor of the boat? It seems like the floor constantly rubbing these would cause problems.

SilleeSpyder

Cadet

I had someone else ask me the same thing. At first I thought it wouldn't be a big deal as my floor is flattened/ruined already and will more or less sag down to the surface of the water. The hinge bottom sticks out enough that the bolt heads don't really make alot of contact with the bottom. Though it might be a good idea for me to either put towels down underneath or staple some extra carpet strips over these areas. Its really the point of launch or throwing it up on shore where I could possibly run into problems. I would certainly suggest this kind of solution for someone concerned about tearing the bottom -I may end up doing that myself to be safe -and really just to keep water from leaking- as the floor material still won't let water in even though it won't stay inflated anymore.

The no longer useable floor in the raft was the main reason I built the hard floor in the first place. If I was building this floor for a raft with a functional floor, there's no question I would cover these areas with something -especially if I was planning on having the original floor inflated with the new one on top of it.

Last edited:

SilleeSpyder

Cadet
Hello!

It has been a couple years since I last posted here, but I thought I'd give an update on the floor I built and share another fun raft story that happened a couple summers ago.

The floor has been fantastic. I prefer it far over the roll up floor on the Mariner 4. In fact, I may make one for that in a couple weeks. It has held together very well and has shown little, if any, signs of wear. The bolts on the bottom do not affect the rubber floor at all. There are absolutely no marks from it. I would still probably suggest using the floor without the bottom inflated. It fits snugly enough that it doesn't really move at all -It only flexes very slightly at the hinges. I also find the floor very easy to pack and store. I actually think it will be easier moving the Mariner 4 around with the wood floor than it is packed with the roll up factory floor. I find packing those together to be a bit of a pain.

However, since then I have busted a couple of oars and destroyed one oar lock on the Seahawk II. The EMT coupling I got didn't really do the trick -it comes apart after about 30 seconds of rowing. Unfortunately the raft's duty has been reduced to being a floating trailer for camping gear and/or other friends who are tagging along. I tow it behind the Mariner 4 which I have a trolling motor for now. I'm thinking about making a motor bracket that bolts to the floor of the Seahawk II and getting a second trolling motor for it... We'll see. If I can come up with a good design, maybe I'll throw it up on here as well.

Has anyone, in the last couple of years, made a floor using the design or dimensions I posted above? If so, I'd like to know how it worked out for you.

I do have a new story involving thunderstorms, wind, waves and hail -but I will post it a little later.

Hope you are all having as much fun as I am!

SilleeSpyder

Cadet
So here's the story. This trip was the same one I mentioned I was about to go on right after I made the new floor.

So this time we decided to go to the very end of the lake -which is about 4 miles from launch point. It is a beautiful isolated spot with a waterfall and creek that goes right by the campsite. So at first it was just one buddy and I. There were a couple others who were going to meet up with us the next day. We had our camp set up, threw down a few beers, cooked some hot dogs and watched the sun go down over the lake. When it was dark, we were looking down the lake and noticed a ton of flashing light in the distance. It was very alien looking and for a minute, it did not register as a distant storm. It looked more like a "shock and awe" war zone in the distance. My friend even asked what I thought it was and the only thing I could come up with is a very very heavy thunderstorm. He said "Well I hope it doesn't come this way." After that, I decided to check my phone for any messages and saw this from my wife "The biggest thunderstorm in the history of the area is coming, there will be hail and flash floods. You should come back home." The message was sent far earlier in the day and at that point I realized we had to go to a certain area of the shore to get any reception. It was too late at this point, I was not going to go on the lake during a thunderstorm or a hail storm. I just looked at the waterfall behind our campsite and hoped that the high banks on either side of the creek would be enough to contain any flooding... it did not look like any water had overflowed them in decades or longer -but it still lingered in my mind.

I awoke not much later and heard the first rumble of thunder. It was kind of a cool thing until the thunder became constant and the rain started coming down HARD. The flashes of lightning were as constant as the rumble of thunder. This was the most thunder I have ever heard in my life. I grew up in Arizona which had numerous crazy thunderstorms, but never did I witness anything like this! Washington does get quite a bit more rain, but thunderstorms are rare and you are lucky to hear the rumble of thunder more than twice during a single storm. This was especially strange being so high in the mountains. I listened as closely as I could to see if I could hear the waterfall behind us suddenly change in tone, but everything else was so loud, I couldn't tell if there was any change. There was a small river flowing under my tent and it soaked the floor and much of my sleeping bag. After a few hours, the storm subsided and I was able to finally sleep, though a bit uncomfortably.

The next day was clear and we met up with our other friends. It was a normal day of swimming, drinking, telling stories, making up songs (they brought their baby Martin acoustics) and, of course, rafting. We all slept that night with no interference from bad weather.

On our final day, the sky started out clear and the lake was bustling with activity -people in their boats skiing, kayakers etc. At about 1 o'clock in the afternoon, we started to see clouds coming in. We really wanted to avoid lightning if it was coming again, so we packed up quickly. Our friends also came with a mariner 4, but they did not have a trolling motor at this point -so I was towing two other rafts. It went -my raft (Mariner 4 with motor), the Seahawk II with most of our gear, and then another Mariner 4 with my other two friends and some more gear.

So right when we take off, the wind picks up -and of course it is against us. The waves were getting pretty crazy and we were getting soaked, just by those. It was hard to tell if we were moving, but we were -very slowly. Not too far into this, my trolling motor started to lose juice and we heard the distant rumble of thunder. We also realized that we were totally alone on the lake -EVERYONE was gone. We decided to hug the coastline in case we started to see any lighting -and so we weren't the tallest isolated objects. We were about a mile and a half in and then the wind calmed, but with that came the most intense downpour I had ever seen. It was like a giant solid shower head was pouring water all over us. You could barely see 10 feet in front of you. At this point we were rowing with the little life left in the motor helping to keep our rafts steered in a straight line. I realized we were right next to a camping spot that I remembered had a tarp that was always left up for other campers. So I decided to go pull off to the side and park our rafts. Right as we were doing this, the rain started turning into hail. We were in a hurry, one of my friends fell out of his raft trying to get out, and noticed that the water felt warm. I noticed this too -the water at that lake usually is shockingly cold- makes me wonder if we were on our way to getting hypothermia. Anyway, we bolted up into the campsite and waited under the tarp. One of my friends wanted to get his really expensive camera gear out of his raft -so he ran out into the hail and was able to get it before it got real bad. The hail was stone sized, maybe a little smaller than your average jawbreaker. One of us had the foresight to grab a few beers, and we stood there comfortably and waited out the storm for about 30 minutes. The splashes the hail made on the surface of the lake was something to see. It was like machine guns firing into the water. After that, the cloud cover broke up a little, the thunder stopped and the wind was still. We slowly strained our way back the final two miles to the launch point. There had to have been hundreds of pounds of water added to our rafts from the waves, rain and hail that fell on them during our journey -making it that much harder to row. We were all totally soaked and exhausted and noticed again that we were the only people on the lake which was usually very busy at that time of day. The baby martin guitars were soaked, but not permanently damaged -as all of the guitar is made of laminated wood. The camera gear acted funky at first, but ended up being ok. The floor I made was absolutely soaked, but after it dried, you could never tell it was at any point.

All the other times I have gone after that point have been trouble free. Since my friends and I have decided to make an annual event out of this, we will be going again in a few weeks. Lets hope nothing stupid happens.