Mercury RIB Mods.....With Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekker9

Seaman Apprentice
I joined this forum a year and half to 2 years ago looking to join the inflatable ranks. After originally looking into Sibs, I came across a good deal on a brand new Merc ocean Runner 430. I added a 20 HP and started rigging it to fish Lake Erie for Walleye.

I made a box 22 x 16 to mount the front seat on. I put on a Cabelas "big man" seat with swivel. Anchored to the floor with thickened fiberglass resin and six screws.
Front Seat.JPG

I then added Rod holders running up and out to the front along with a strategically placed beer holder.
Seat Rod Holder.JPG

On the sides I made removable bases for two more rod holders. Set up I can troll four lines, and with planer boards, cover a pretty good swath of the water column.
Side mounts.JPG

I put hinges on the top to allow for easy access to the inside of the box. I made a shelf to hold lure boxes...etc. Looking into the box with the shelf in place.
Tray.JPG

Under the boxes, sit the fuel cans.
Cans.JPG

trekker9

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercury RIB Mods.....With Pics

This is the hole I drilled to run the fuel line out.
Gas Line.JPG

This is my "cockpit". I anchored the battery box to the box with screws, and mounted the GPS/Chartplotter above it with a RAM mount. I also added an upright rod holder to store hold the rods while We are underway.
Command.JPG

For the rear seat base, I cut two pieces of plywood, "glued" them together with thickened resin, and gave them two coats of fiberglass plus paint(same as front box), and anchored it to the floor with thickened resin and 4 screws.
Rear seat.JPG

To that base, I screwed down my VHF radio holder, and a second strategically placed beer holder.
Rear seat base.JPG

The T 20
T 20.JPG

trekker9

Seaman Apprentice

And finally, for boat numbers, I cut boards, put the stickers on, and then put 2 coats of fiberglass over that, and hung them off the side with some flexi ropes.
Numbers.JPG

So far, She has made 3 trips on lake Erie for Walleye. We got a little wet the first day out as We were hitting 5 footers. The second day, they were about 3, and not bad with spray. The 3rd trip, I went myself. It was dead calm out there, and She was running at 23 MPH.

Overall, I am very happy with it. Looks crowded, but it is actually very comfortable to fish from.

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Damn dude! SWEET! One day I hope to join the big boy club!!! I love my Mariner 4 but THIS is awesome!

trekker9

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks 99. Took a while, but I am happy with it. Fishes well.

mrdrh99

Hey treckker, do you happen to have a pic of the whole thing? That would be sweet.

trekker9

Seaman Apprentice

Getting ready to add some new mods in prep for the upcoming Walleye season on Lake Erie.

G

very nice, I just ordered new plugs oil and filter for my ob. plan on working on it late feb and beginning of march. I am upgrading my anchor system with a patch and a pully attached so the rope doesn't rub against my tube. I am still debating on the type of bow bag I want to use. oh by the way be careful with the box with gas in it. you need to make sure its properly ventilated or something bad might happen.

ronaldj

Getting ready to add some new mods in prep for the upcoming Walleye season on Lake Erie.

Nice job so far.
can you take a picture that shows the boat with all your current mods and then a picture with all your new mods?

zodiac_mat

Cadet

Love the mods. When you glassed the boxes, did you just use resin or did you also use fabric? I am getting ready to make some boxes for Mr 14' zodiac.

ReelSlow72

Seaman Apprentice

Wow... looks really good. How far in are you $$ wise if I may ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.