Power rating for Zodiac FC470

motobando

Cadet
Hey folks, picked up a very nice Zodiac FC470 that is rated for 65HP (aluminum deck floor), or 2 x 35hp (aluminum deck floor), or 40HP with the roller floor with aluminum slats, which is the type of floor I have. I came across a nice 55HP 2 stroke that I'd like to stick on there until I can eventually get the aluminum deck. Anyone have any experience running higher HP with this type of floor? I can always limit the throttle if necessary I suppose. The transom supports up to 210 lbs and the 55hp is 170lbs I think. It's a military edition Johnson 55hp with prop (not jet drive). Thanks in advance for any feedback.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Power rating for Zodiac FC470

Chances are the boat will come apart on you. Most of these boats are tore up and abused by the time they hit the civilian market. The roll up model floor does not have much in the way of support where it butts up against the transom so my best advice is do not go past a 30 to 40 hp. The transom will flex way too much with a 55.

motobando

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably pick up some aluminum flooring for it and go for the larger outboard. As far as overall condition it's one of the nicer 470's I've seen which is why I picked it up. 2005 model that is rock solid and has likely seen very little use.

n2gypsy

Cadet

I beg to differ I HAVE A 40 RUDE ON MY 470 IT RUNS GREAT , THESE BOATS ARE BULLIT PROOF, VERY TOUGH AND SOME HAVE SEEN VERY LITTLE USE AND ARE SOLD STRICKLY BASED ON AGE, I OWN 4 OF THEM
Chances are the boat will come apart on you. Most of these boats are tore up and abused by the time they hit the civilian market. The roll up model floor does not have much in the way of support where it butts up against the transom so my best advice is do not go past a 30 to 40 hp. The transom will flex way too much with a 55.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You have an opinion. I have a service history:) I'll go with mine.