Trolling Motor Mount?

rattbones

Cadet
I recently bought a used Trolling Motor (Sevylor 12 Volt 2-Speed). However, it has no bracket for the transom mount. I did a few searches and could not find much. What would people recommended? I do see a few reasonably priced transom mount brackets for MinnKota's, but will any of them fit? I could make something out of a few D clamps at home (anyone done this?). I'm putting this on my Intex Excursion 5, also building a wood floor for it. Any help would be appreciated.

sevsbm-400x400.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trolling Motor Mount?

I'd suggest measuring your trolling motor shaft and then buy a manufactured replacement for that size. It would be made to accommodate your trolling motor and if in the future you decided to sell it, it would bring you more money than a home built version...JMHO! I often wonder how there are so many trolling motors for sell (C/L and such) without their mounting brackets... I guess when some folks remove them (in a hurry an night) they don't take the time to remove their mounting brackets as well....SMH!

rattbones

Cadet

I've done some searching and can not find a replacement mounting bracket. Any suggestions on a good resource for such items?

gm280

Supreme Mariner

You could measure the diamter of the shaft and look at newer manufactured units to see what their mounts fit. Then select one that is the closest to your diameter and your golden... A lot of trolling motors have simple knob tightened mounts that could work even if the sizes were not exact... Just an idea...

Drowned Rat

Captain

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

The place to start is with the shaft diameter. Then you might find something used on Ebay. The transom mount is nothing special; just a hole in which the motor turns.

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ratt: I have considerable experience with Sevylor's boats and motor. As stated above, the mounting design is specific to Sevylor boats. The plus is Sevylor boats have such mounts built into them, both front and back. The negatives, however are considerable, especially when compared to the main competition I'll reference as MK: Sevelor motor price ~$130 vs MK motor price ~$110; Sevylor motor thrust 17 lbs thrust vs. MK motor thrust 30 lb.; Sevylor motor speeds 2 (slow & fast) vs MK motor speeds 8 (5 forward & 3 reverse). Also be aware that Sevylor typically does not sell a replacement prop. If you break that one, the motor might be garbage. I understand they recently made a few available, so you might want to purchace a spare, but I have no idea of the cost.

To more specifically address your issue, if I understand it correctly (there is no way of attaching your motor to a traditional motor mount.): On Sevylor motors, there is a narrow tube or shaft that runs parallel to the main shaft. On a Sevylor boat, there is an upper and lower plastic bracket that the narrow shaft fits through. You then screw a locking clamp on below this, to prevent the narrow shaft from dislodging. If your main shaft is long enough to submerge your prop when on your existing motor mount, the fix should be easy. I would think it should be as simple as screwing in two eye-bolts, one above the other, to the back of your motor mount and slipping the narrrow shaft down through them. Remember to clamp something below this shaft to keep it from coming loose. Good luck.

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Honestly bro....sell the sevylor and get the minn kota endura 30. Like copper said, more thrust. I got mine for $99 on Amazon and intex had an awesome composite motor mount designed for that excursion and its only $30....that's what i have and its fantastic

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FWIW anytime you power a boat, kayak, or canoe, by fuel or electricity, it now must be registered as a power boat. That also includes use on a private lake. At least in the USA.

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Peter: That may be the case where you are, but I don't believe it to be the case here, in WA. State. Please let me know if you find out otherwise, but my findings are my 12' inflatable, with a 30 lb thrust electric.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay so I kinda stand corrected, for the state of Washington.
If your vessel is less than 16 feet in length and has a motor of 10 horsepower or less and is used on non-federal waters only.
Aren't many places you would want to go boating a federal water way, like the Sound, along with many lakes and rivers?

Is the OP from Washington?

From the USCG docs page 4.
There are two methods of registration for U .S . recreational vessels .
• Vessel Registration: state-issued Certificate of Number .
• Vessel Documentation: federally documented with the
U .S . Coast Guard .Vessel Registration: All undocumented vessels equipped with propulsion machinery must be registered in the state
http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/workflow_staging/Publications/420.PDF

rattbones

Cadet

Thanks for the input, this is what I came up with also after thinking it over. 2 eyebolts on the moter mount should do it.

rattbones

Cadet

I read you, I considered the same thing. But this is what I have for now. I may upgrade in a year or two, but most lakes around here don't allow motors at all. Lakes here in Colorado are small, man made, and run by individual city's. So, regulations on motors are a cerpshoot.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I read you, I considered the same thing. But this is what I have for now. I may upgrade in a year or two, but most lakes around here don't allow motors at all. Lakes here in Colorado are small, man made, and run by individual city's. So, regulations on motors are a cerpshoot.
Colorado rules are plainly written.
Any boat with a motor or sail operated in Colorado on any public waters must be registered with Colorado State Parks.
Boat Registrations | Colorado Parks and Wildlife