repair patch

jimbo74

Cadet
I have an Intex Excursion 5

I have a hole about 1/4" in diameter on the blue floor inside of the boat. This hole doesn't go through the bottom. Should I use the blue patch, or the thicker sand colored patch? I would think the blue one was designed for it, but would there be an issue using the sand colored patch for it? My wife says to use the heavier duty patch, but I am worried about the blue being more flexible just like the floor and the sand one wouldn't allow all that flexibility? Just a shot in the dark here....

Thanks!

jimbo74

Cadet
Re: repair patch

anyone? I am headed out the door right now to go get some glue

mansters

Cadet

anyone? I am headed out the door right now to go get some glue

I would used the thick patch
I bought a sevylor boat for $25 with a half inch hole on one of the tubes,
I used some pvc material from an old inflatable that i cut in in pieces for patches
I used that HH-66 vinyl glue, laying it in coats, and ones the patch was set i used some 3m 5200 glue
a thick bead around the patch just to reinforced it, it might look sloppy but it gets the job done

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

This is a pool toy that uses S80 vinyl. Average life on one of these is six months...The patch kits are available from any sporting goods department, but, I wouldn't put a lot of effort into keeping it working.

Draggin' Bait

Recruit

I also need help with an inflatable boat patch. I have a Sea Eagle 10.6 SR. I have a pinhole leak, but it is immediately next to a seam, so that the rubber is different levels on opposite sides of the hole. Thus far I haven't been able to find a patch solution that will stick. I think much of the problem is that even if I build up one side so that it is level, the seam stretches at a different rate than the tube. Any suggestions? Larry

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On the excursion go to rubberboats.com, they have sets of patch kits and get them to you pretty quick. I had a hold in mine, I just used the glue used to repair my waders (fly fishing) 2 or three coats, then put the larger patch over it and its working fine.

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Draggin'Bait: I'm sure a number of companies make the same thing, and I am not currently a fan of Sevylor, but they make a repair 'glue', in a small brown glass bottle that sells for $6-7. I find it ideal for pin holes, particularly near seams where it is difficult to attach a patch. While I am sure you can also use this glue with a patch, they recommend, and I find, that for small holes like you describe, this 'glue' is sufficient. It appears to slightly desolve the vinyl, thus sealing itself. It sounds like this is similar to what MrDrH99 describes, though he then suggests putting a patch over that, which of course should make it stronger still. Good luck.

Draggin' Bait

Recruit

Thank you both for the prompt replies. I've ordered the Sevylor glue and we'll see if that will take care of it. Even if it does, I'll likely put a protective cover patch over it once it is holding pressure. Larry