bow mount trolling motor on 12.5' SIB

saabsaviorlee

Seaman
It can be done!!! After struggling to operate a transom troller and getting it to fit next to my outboard and launching wheels and dealing with a heavy rear end I came across a smokin deal on Craigslist and picked up a 55lb Minn Kota power drive V2. I wanted the electronic steering which would allow me to not have my foot on the pedal at all times. So after some over the top doodles of designs I thought "what do I have in my garage that will get me on the water this weekend?" Well before my 12.5 Newport Vessels Catalina SIB I have a Sevylor Fish hunter that I added wooden decks that rested on the tubes that I bolted swivel seats on. I dug one out of the garage and set it on the bow of the boat. The deck contoured the tubes and balanced easily. ratchet strapped it down to the D rings on either side and then set the troller on top. Wouldn't ya know the holes for the mounting plate of the swivel seat lined up with the mounting holes on the troller! :happy: So a short trip to the hardware store for shorter bolts later and I had a haphazardly designed mounting system for a bow mount troller! Took it out that weekend and was amazed how well it worked. In the picture I only have one strap running across but I added another that actually goes over the troller at the front which helps stabilize the lifting motion of when it runs wide open. It also calmed my buddies nerves when going over wake he didn't have to leap forward and save the troller from falling over. The only issue is the mounting holes position the troller dead center of the boat which means when its retracted out of the water the head unit is right in the lap of the passenger. We made do by only raising the shaft and not utilizing the folding system but I plan on offset mounting it so it will retract out of the way. The deck is a cut piece of plywood with a bungee cord weaved through that secures "pool noodles" to act as a cushion and buffer between the wood and the boat material. I couldn't be more pleased and the weight distribution of the battery and trolling motor moved up front helps me get out of the hole faster! Of course being able to troll a bank or navigate through a forest of emerging dead fall completely hands free has made me a happy camper. Hasn't made the fish bit more frequently but Ill blame that on the cold :rolleyes: Lemme know what ya think!!

boat resize1.jpgboat resize2.jpg