Intex Seahawk 4 Mods?

bknight15

Recruit
The other day, I just bought an Intex Seahawk 4 with the motor mount. I have a Minn Kota Endura 30 trolling motor and deep cycle battery. I have seen people putting wood floors and other mods on them. Could you give me some ideas on what to do for the following mods? I will be using it to fish the local lakes and have a friend with me occasionally.

- Wood Floor
- Bench Seat/swivel seat
- Anchor
- Battery Box

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Intex Seahawk 4 Mods?

Hey there Knight,
You're in luck! Do a search (Intex inflatable mods or modifications) using the little box at the top of the page and you will find lots of discussion on this topic, on this site. These modifications may not be specifically for the Seahawk 4, but there are many mods for Intex inflatables. You might also look for Sevylor mods. I own a Sevylor HF360 and have posted my mods here.
The negative might be that you don't find exactly for your model, but the positive is that these mods have been in use for a while now and people can tell you how they would do things differently, after having tried them for a while.
Dave

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey, what did you decide on? I'm just starting with an Intex Excursion 5.....check out my post where I have a link to a you tube video

G_Sonn

Cadet

I have the same boat, I love it. For my floor, I used EVA foam floor tiles like the ones you see in gyms and playrooms. I glued two layers together offset so the seams never line up and cut it to shape. After one test of it, I added a layer of outdoor carpeting which stiffened it up quite a bit. It works really well. That being said, it wound up being way more expensive than plywood despite getting the foam pretty cheaply from a well-known discount hardware store that you're probably aware of if you're thinking of doing something crazy like this. The advantages to the foam are that you'll never have to worry about your floor causing a leak in the boat and it will float in an emergency (it will actually float in non-emergencies too, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here). It does flex a little bit, but I can stand and fish with no problems, walk from one end to the other, etc. You'll see alot of people with bench-type seats in their boats. That didn't work for me. I found that the chambers in this boat are not rigid enough to support the weight very well. You'll be dipping from one side to the other. After ditching my bench seats, I went with milk crates. You can make a nice seat cushion with a piece of scrap plywood and scrap from the foam floor cutout. A couple of cleats from scrap on the bottom of the ply to hold it in place, and the cushion won't slide. One advantage to this is that you can store stuff in the crates.

Good luck with your project. If you have any questions, feel free to ask 'em.

wildman17

Cadet

Knight,
I bought an intex seahawk 4 and I am wanting to put a floor in it so that i can stand while fishing. What materials should I use? I would like it to be easily removed from the boat and fold-able so that I can put it in the trunk of my car. Can you help me out?
~wildman17

nolajet

Recruit

I created an instruction guide for building a seahawk 4 floor.

it is pretty easy once you have the measurements and supply list. feel free to share this with others, i hope this helps!!

Thank you so much! After looking all over and finding nothing but videos, an actual pdf of the plans is exactly what I needed.

dburnside

Recruit

Thank you so much! After looking all over and finding nothing but videos, an actual pdf of the plans is exactly what I needed.

You are welcome! I had the same issue and that's why i created this. with all the youtube videos and forums about the subject, no one remembered their measurements. good luck!

davenorcott

Recruit

View attachment 197257

it is pretty easy once you have the measurements and supply list. feel free to share this with others, i hope this helps!!

This is fantastic, thank you - I've just ordered one of these and was googling around to look for floor tips; I didn't expect to find anything so helpful!

There's one thing I'm confused about - what is the PVC pipe for? I couldn't see from the pics, and I'm not 100% sure what sort/ diameter of pipe we're talking about either (I'm across the pond in the UK, might be different terminology, but are we talking the 1" plastic waterpipe stuff?).

Thanks a lot!

G

This is fantastic, thank you - I've just ordered one of these and was googling around to look for floor tips; I didn't expect to find anything so helpful!

There's one thing I'm confused about - what is the PVC pipe for? I couldn't see from the pics, and I'm not 100% sure what sort/ diameter of pipe we're talking about either (I'm across the pond in the UK, might be different terminology, but are we talking the 1" plastic waterpipe stuff?).

Thanks a lot!

PVC pipe is plastic pipe you use for water pipe,

McYank

Recruit

View attachment 197257

Thank you so very much for taking the time to put this out here. I just bought the very same boat, and like many other people,I really want a floor in it.
I also would like to point out that your pdf is the reason I became a member,( had to join to see it) and as a result, I have been reading posts for the better part of two hours! So many very interesting ideas being shared here, and a whole Winter to do mods...I will be posting my results on the floor mod as I go along. Wish me luck and thank you again.
(intex seahawk 4)

dburnside

Recruit

Thank you so very much for taking the time to put this out here. I just bought the very same boat, and like many other people,I really want a floor in it.
I also would like to point out that your pdf is the reason I became a member,( had to join to see it) and as a result, I have been reading posts for the better part of two hours! So many very interesting ideas being shared here, and a whole Winter to do mods...I will be posting my results on the floor mod as I go along. Wish me luck and thank you again.
(intex seahawk 4)

hey no problem!, this was my first post ever to an online forum! im super pumped every time someone thanks me or sends me an email. I yell to my wife, "another person likes my design!" haha. i had also searched and searched and found nothing! I used this floor last summer with my wife and had a blast on the lake for only $250. the cost of everything to include a motor and bat. be ready for when you unpack and pack it at the lake to explain to everyone there how it all was made and the costs. it makes you real popular real quick! dont forget to reg it too. I used some glow tape from when i was in the army to stencil my numbers on and hang on the sides, works ok. good luck!

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice man.... How stable is it?

Rakumi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

(intex seahawk 4)

Great. Happy you were able to join the crowd. I can't wait to use my mods. I just made a floor maybe a month ago but the cold season has caused my local marinas to shut down. Good luck with everything. Happy boating.
I run an Intex Excursion 5. My floor was made of 2 parts. Home depot or such stores can put the carpet on for you. They did for me. Good luck.

bun

Seaman Apprentice

hi im a newbee to this forum have signed up
like the forum its sound
I have a seahawk 4 I have fitted 5plastic waste water pipe for strength
have used 1\4 plywood cut in half shaped with jig saw took the measurements with the boat up turned and used it as a template covered the whole board in plastic sheet stapled the top areas and carpet used used pipe insulators plastic for sides taped them in position looks ok
I then bought a motorbike trailer single , for ?50 . used 3\4 ply 8 foot long
bought 2second hand roof bars drilled 2 holes in each attached to front and rear turn them upside down and attach the
plywood lengths to the bars
use the template again for the base of the trailer 3\4 ply
going to add some length off square tubing to the front of the trailer then add replace toe ball bracket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT004IYE8iQ thinking of something like this for oor weather

I am in the middle of stripping an auld Avon inflatable that I got for ten pound just a rubber heap so I have washed it down, power washed, going to use the template and a bit oversize cut out and attach with evostick contact adhesive I am a bit apprehensive of doing this , open for ideas ..then with the other rubber to reinforce the bottom of the boat

SEATS .will be two one at the sharp end and one at the blunt end using two dinner seats with the legs removed they will be attached to by swivel brackets 2 for ?19 that will then be mounted onto boxes 8"in height

have transom been looking at what other folks have said see what happens when I see the problem for myself
I have a intex 40 lbs thrust electric generator motor ?60 I also have a auld seagull 40plus outboard that was in my dads garage works fine
and I have a seized outboard engine which I am going to put a briggs straton 4hp lawnmower engine and use the bottom half of the outboard ..like to be kept bizzy
anyway my name is ian I stay in Edinburgh retired ambulance paramedic so need something to do have a wife and a 21 year old boy hope I can ask for information from you guys thanks bun

Last edited: