Canopy for Intex Mariner 4.....???

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Canopy for Intex Mariner 4.....???

Hey, I'm thinking about it! Got toasted on the lake, seriously going to look into it very soon. I think it could be done cheaply with pvc and a tarp!

geo2005

Cadet

Hey, I'm thinking about it! Got toasted on the lake, seriously going to look into it very soon. I think it could be done cheaply with pvc and a tarp!

I think I'll make the one in the drawing.
Unfortunately the pvc I could find is too flexible or too thick, so probably I'll made it from expensive copper.schita umbrar barca 1.jpg

mrdrh99

That's the general idea but how do you attach to the boat?

geo2005

Cadet

That's the general idea but how do you attach to the boat?

Option 1 (the most simple) - with this type of support glued to the boat (maybe with larger hole)
Suport cauciuc - Magazin Accesorii - Yacht TNG - Iti ofera siguranta zilei de maine!

Option 2 (for easier unfolding during sailing) - the pipe jointed with this parts
Terminatie bimini alb
and one similar to
Baza biminitop
but of course made of PVC gluableto the boat (a friend from our romanian boat forum promised me 4 pieces)

mrdrh99

good options but I'm thinking I will find a way to mount to the hard floor I've made for the boat, and I'm not too sure about it being retractable

geo2005

Cadet

indeed initially I was thinking that mounting on the floor would be more convenient, bu there are some disadvantages, at least for me:
- much longer sticks
- more narrow shadow
- using the precious space inside
- not easy foldable, in case of need: man on water, mooring, wind, etc.

See in the picture the joint which will be glued to the boat

JOHNMACMEN

Recruit

no, but I'm thinking to. Did you ?
for the moment i'm looking for ideas.

i have an idea,not yet tried, just a design,,as this roof will be floor based, hence need to make a wooden floor then the roof.. i will post the design soon ,, i hope you find it easy

nwpentax

Recruit

i have an idea,not yet tried, just a design,,as this roof will be floor based, hence need to make a wooden floor then the roof.. i will post the design soon ,, i hope you find it easy

Looking forward to seeing this design of yours. I recently bought a Mariner 4 and I am looking to come up with some kind of bimini style top for it.

mrdrh99

Yeah, I'm still waiting for a feesable idea/plans. I'm starting to think about something smaller that would only cover the back third of the boat where my seat for using the motor is, if that works well maybe it could be extended further out over the boat.

ronaldj

Have you thought about using a chair umbrella?

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

You can buy a Bimini top kit and all fasteners from Rochfordsupply out of Minneapolis and sail rite has Youtube videos on how to pattern one.

DeeN

Recruit

Saw a post on amazon's reviews in intex pro series inflatables. Man said he bought cheap foam handled umbrellas which fit into the fishing pole holders.
I ordered one. Will have to see if it works. I only need 1 fishing pole holder at anytime, however as I'm in So. Calif. The sun can be intense.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If installing a bimini secured to a wooden deck, will need to be of same sib's internal floor width, installing on upper tubes could be much wider and provide a better sun shade. Usually the biminis that are sold for standard more pro inflatbles have their side poles atached to both middle tube's side rope ties. Other methods are gluing a bimini support on upper tubes that usually comes with bimini model, or end poles on row locks if sib happens to have them, All 3 systems usually use 2 side straps and 1 bow straps to keep canopy flat opened.

The only down issue about installing a bimini top on thin tube fabric is that at speed or when encountering front wind, the bimini top will tend to press both side poles against upper tubes downward and form a unwanted U shape like tent form when sib is underway. Will be virtually impossible to maintain bimini at a stretch like flat form. In that case, bimini will need to be deployed while at anchor to provide opt sun shelter.

Happy Boating

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am wondering if an Idea , used for tents used in a pick up truck bed, might be adapted to a mariner. If the flexible poles used in a fairly inexpensive 2-3 man tent, perhaps the rain fly..all tents have them.. could be secured to the poles. The securing of the poles to the mariner should be fairly simple, but seems to make sense if attached to the wood floor, if you have done one of these, with simple, small eye bolts and parachute chord or zip ties. I think "SEA RIDER" is dead right on about the wind factor, and think moving any faster than about .5 to 1 mph is counterproductive to the canopy/bimini installation.
Way back in the marine 4 modifications thread, Christian Mariner used an umbrella....with mixed emotions.

All right all you Mod geniuses...let's make this happen!! LOL

Last edited:

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what about aluminum electrical conduit....less expensive, or use the flexible pvc but support it on the inside with smaller diameter wood dowel?

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I'll make the one in the drawing.
Unfortunately the pvc I could find is too flexible or too thick, so probably I'll made it from expensive copper.View attachment 193232

what about aluminum electrical conduit....less expensive, or use the flexible pvc but support it on the inside with smaller diameter wood dowel?