Intex Mariner 4 Custom Fishing Mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Intex Mariner 4 Custom Fishing Mod.

I'm having a hard time adding pictures to this post, either way, here are some more of the project at completion.

IMG_4241.jpgIMG_4240.jpgIMG_4239.jpgIMG_4238.jpgIMG_4237.jpg

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I were to do what you did, it will take me a couple of years if not more.

How much does it weigh all together now? Are you using trailer with this?

Gathering all of the parts took me about 3 months, putting it all together took about 3 days, it's not as hard as you might think as long as you have the right tools, and are a little handy.:)

I will be buying a small trailer soon, I made the floor fit the raft like a glove, using pipe insulation around the edges for a tight fit. It probably weighs in at about 200 pounds with the motor and battery. This boat is perfect for two people, lots of room under the seats and behind them for the anchor, pump, extra battery in the front, etc. I'm going to run some PVC pipe under the floor so I can wire in the Hummingbird Fish Finder, and a bow and stern light. The key thing is to fit the floor perfectly, take your time, and make sure it's super smooth, no protruding screws or slivers, anything that could puncture the boat. You could even mount downriggers on it if you were so inclined.

greenfisher

Recruit

hi
i just recently joined because i recently purchased a intex mariner 4
i love what you did to your mariner.
i would like to ask how did you get the angle at the bow and stern?
maybe can you tell me your floor measurements?
thanks

mike

It is important that you angle the front and back of the floor so it firs the contour of the boat. You can see the break in the front and back where you will need to make the floor angle up, it at the end of the straight part of the tubes. In order to do this properly you will need to pencil a straight line across the top and bottom of the floor, making the lines you draw are identical. You will need a heavy metal straight edge and a standard wood cutting saw. Use your straight edge and saw together to make a shallow cut into the floor on both sides. Make the cut as even as you can on both sides, removing enough wood to crack the plywood, but not separate it. Assuming you are on a work bench, you can then screw your floor to the workbench, and you will want to apply a fair amount of gorilla glue to the cracked ply, making sure you fill all of the gap on both sides. You can then make your angle by using screws, use them by screwing the angled parts of the floor to the work table at the proper measured angle. Its actually pretty easy, after the glue has been set and is cured you can sand it down smooth, you could use a marine epoxy as well, if you want you could use wood strips to brace the seam, but its not needed if you do this step right. Good luck.

greenfisher

Recruit

Thanks for the step by step guide.
i will definatelty try to do those.
maybe ill try to post mine after i finish.
leaving the country for a month so will be a month till i start.

thank you for the help

mike

If I were to do what you did, it will take me a couple of years if not more.

How much does it weigh all together now? Are you using trailer with this?

I bought a harbor freight trailer, the 4x8 model. I built a wood floor on it, and essentially a wood box on it, that's about 10 inches tall, with fishing rod storage, and inner side rail storage for odds and ends. The trailer is perfect for the boat. I added a concave center to it so the keel fits in it perfectly. I will be posting more pictures soon. The boat with everything in it, including the motor, right around 250 pounds. I upgraded the motor, added an extra trolling motor battery, a fishfinder, with a small accessary battery box. It also has lights for night fishing as well.

No Title

I recently added a Humminbird Piranhamax Fish Finder on the boat, including a custom waterproof accessary battery box that can run the fish finder, charge a cell phone, with a little light in it. I recently added an extra trolling battery behind the front seat. The battery cables for the front are ran under the boat floor in waterproof pex plumbing pipe. I added a battery switch under the back seat, so when I need to switch batteries I can just turn the knob. I upgraded to the Minn Kota Enduramax 50, gives me a little added power in case I need to get off the lake faster, and it has a built in battery charge meter in it. Since I have created this post, I also built a trailer for the raft, a 4x8 harbor freight trailer, that I built a 4x8 wood box on for the boat to sit on. The trailer has rod storage inside it, and storage around the perimeter of the inside for odds and ends. I also added front and rear lights for night fishing. The boat is basically done, and it kicks ass, I use it all the time. I will be posting more pics this weekend so you can see the recent upgrades.

Attachments

• photo204927.jpg
    photo204927.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 4

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
How well does that trailer work? Can you back it into the water?

No Title

Attachments

• photo204979.jpg
    photo204979.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 10
  • photo204980.jpg
    photo204980.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 7
  • photo204981.jpg
    photo204981.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 7
  • photo204982.jpg
    photo204982.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 10
  • photo204983.jpg
    photo204983.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 8

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm just amazed the quality of your work, Darren. Me, just spend as little money/work as possible camp. :lol:

For that reason, I also picked up trailer.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...and-ribs/284023-inflatable-boat-trailer/page4

I'm curious to see your trailer pic. How tall is it? I picked 8" version of trailer and one of the reason was to keep it as low as possible for easy loading / off loading of boat with everything in it. (two batteries, wood floor, 55 lb trolling motor, heavy fishing bag and gear, color box etc..) I keep everything in the boat while on the road.

Mariner Capt.

Recruit
Got a question for all you guys with a leaky mariner... have you ever tried flex seal sprayed on the seams?

Brusac

Seaman
Mariner Capt.

I posted about my problematic leak in the giant Marnier 4 mods thread some time back.I had a slow leak that I absolutely could not find. Finally I went down to West Marine, spent $60 and bought a bottle of their brand of tube sealant for inflatables, it's meant for sealing small pinholes. Poured some in all the tubes and rolled the boat a few times (side to side and front to back) to coat the inside of the tubes. The leak was big enough that the sealant poured out of the leak. It was just inside the seam in chamber #2 under the rock guard. The leak developed in a spot that gets pinched when folding the boat to pack it away. Where the chambers meet the rock guard is not welded over that spot. At first the sealant did seal the leak but the hole was actually too big for the sealant to make a permanent fix. I had to cut the guard at that spot to expose the part of the tube where the leak was and patch it.

I did have an adhesive to test so I cut a piece off of one one the large PVC patches that came with the M4 and applied the adhesive to that and folded it over to glue it to itself. Let the adhesive cure and then tried to separate the 2 glued sides from each other to see how it held up. I would recommend using one of those to test how well the flex seal works on the PVC before putting it on the boat itself. It may not adhere well to the material or it may not flex well enough when you are deflating and packing the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.