I swear...

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Pump it Up Baby

Yesterday afternoon the 450 was trailored to the boating Club, arrived in one single piece, alleluia. Today woke early and went straight to the club, first step was inflating the whole Rib for a deep and exhaustive deck, tube cleaning with dish washing detergent and special towels. 2 hours later was eye catching mint cond. Next step was an overdose of UV protectant, a must apply to minimize harmful UV radiation which is rampant than ever around here.

Next was taking the combo to the crane to lift the Rib, the trailer needed an desperate axle ballance, didn't want to hang the engine on transom and the trailer making a wheely, ballancing was spot on, so Rib back onto his trailer and to the parking patio to center the engine at middle transom.

Tomorrow early will put new anchor ropes along towing bridle and try to organize my huge bow locker with things who used to live at back 430 transom, then after, launch to sea for it's maiden voyage...

Happy Boating

That is one pretty boat.
Does it come in any other color?
Are you going to add a console to it?
I can't imagine trying to tiller steer that

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Ronald,

You can order same model in 5 different sizes, 420,450,470, 530, 580, hulls can be made white, light grey or black. Available in white, light gray, dark grey, red and black heavy duty 1.2 mm Polyurethane fabrics, including Orca Hypalon which costs a lot more. I prefer light color fabrics, light grey is the one that heats the least with sun specially if your butt will sit on huge tubes for long time periods. If you spray an overdose of Aerospace 303 Protectant from time to time and keep your beloved toy covered with a thick cover when not in use, really don't need to buy Hypalon which in order to have a better atarctive purchase price is 50% less thick, just 0.8 mm compared to 1.2 mm currently used.

That 450 will be used plain open, will include an inflatable air deck and a bimini, a must have during summer or expect to evaporate. Don't like center consoles, takes too much deck available space. Tomorrrow is D day, will see if sitting starbord next to transom and tiller driving that fat Rib has a friendly driving position, if not, will glue 2 side patches and hook a alum seat next to tiller. Not an issue tiller driving 50+ HP engines if you know what you're doing and happen you have finally tamed the beast.

SR-470.JPG

On this 450 would be impossible to sit on air deck while boating at speed, won't see a thing, just sun during day time and stars at night, so need to make some mods to suit my personal boating needs.. New achor line and towing bridle line have been finally attached to hull and side towing rings.

On the old 430 the fuel tank had to be secured up front which took bit of available deck space specially when boating with 4 mates. The new 450 has its own tank space next to transom, If seat is placed next to tiller, tank will sit under seat, will probably need to add 2 straps to lock tank in place, a choppy sea trial will confirm if need be considered.

If the 18 HP Tohatsu does not plane the Rib will probably consider a 2 stroke Suzuki 30 HP engine, was offered a Merc 25 rebadged Tohatsu, but will need to upgrade to a 30 HP for better performance compared to a 18,

The only personal issue that keeps me saying NO is that plastic parts of the entire throttle system wears out fast if not well periodic lubed. The 18 has an oustanding throttle system, love this horse in all tech aspects, have a emotional connection with eighteens for the past 7 years which hope to continue, fingers crossed....

Happy Boating

Last edited:

ronaldj

Sea Rider
I so envy your ability to use 2 stroke outboards.
I would love to have an 18 2 stroke.
You got me thinking about boat colors
I was tired of gray/white because it's a cleaning nightmare.
Although I do put the 303UV spray on it after every cleaning
I didn't even think about the whole heat transfer thing.
I have a Bimini top and it is the single best mod I made to my boat

I also find it funny that no matter if the boat is PVC or Hyperlon. If it has an air floor the floor will be PVC

I'm thinking about getting a 3 1/2 or 4 meter Winboat/Fboat

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Ronald,

You're right, light colors as white, light grey could be a nightmare to clean, it's better to clean them often than once each number of months specially if they're already grimy. With 303 coat should stay cleaner longer than not using it. Red colors tend to fade in the long run, dark gray heats up bit less than black. Besides tubes with light colors inflates much less at plain sun than dark ones.

All air decks that have seen are PVC some Polyurethane, Hypalon costs more and probably Hypalon air decks sibs are the least compared to same PVC, Polyurethane ones. If standard air decks are expensive, imagine Hypalon ones.

Will love upgrading to a wing boat rib, when that happens you won't like sibs no more,..

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
After testing the combo with 2 up on slight choppy and windy sea cond, the 18 incredibly planes the Rib faster than was expecting, does so at just 3/4 throttle provided that Rib is well balanced with boater confy sitting up front on top cushioned bow locker. Trim remains on second hole out transom, water flow is slightly passing under small upper water deflector plate, no need to modify transom height. Once flow at speed engages there bow plows down immediately. Close turns are fast with good response to tiller and throttle, no water splashes in out, aireation or cavitation whatsoever.

P1220314.JPG

P1220316.JPG

I'm pretty happy with the water performance so far, by the moment will not go after a 30 HP, probably latter which is the min to count with if wanting taking more passengers. By the moment the only down issue is while tiller driving, tubes are huge and tiller is so down that you drive at a uncomfy seating position, have a great butt ache right now. Definitely will need to glue 2 seat patches and make a long parallel wooden seat next to transom to drive properly. Gas tank stays next to transom, no need to add tank retaining belts.

P1220318.JPG

P1220319.JPG

Deck space is so huge compared to the previous 430 rib, imagine adding huge side tubes to your bathtub. Water flow slightly touches lower tubes at speed. Water wake is near flat out engine, which is nice. Prop thrust doing its homework as expected.

Tomorrow will take combo to open sea for a 30 Km exhaustive sea trial, will post results. If with time will check its speed with a GPS and wot rpm with an induction tach. Will post results.

Happy Boating

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Guess I gotta ask. How are you controlling that boat sitting up in the bow? Oh, damn nice boat!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Guess I gotta ask. How are you controlling that boat sitting up in the bow? Oh, damn nice boat!

The guy siting up front is someone who offered voluntary being the weight man for Rib to plane faster. Need to resolve installing a seat near tiller for better Rib control at speed; A instant solution would be sitting port which gives a comfy hand reach, but happen to be a starbord boater always. We'll work on that issue this week.

Happy Boating

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah, I am still having seating issues and weight problems. Just a few inches fore or aft of my seat frame makes a difference. Wife doesn't want to leave her comfy bow seat to help the balance. LOL.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sitting up front is a excellent comfy position specially if your Sib has a round bow, but depending on the persons weight will produce excessive water drag up front, this can visibly be seen in terms of water splashing right in front of bow. The more you throttle, the more drag & splash will have.

Happy Boating

G

it just mind boggles me to see anyone having trouble with weight distribution. only issue I ever had was to much weight in the back so I placed the gas tank to the front and used a rubber tie from having it slide back (solo riding). When ever we are together, same thing one in the front and rest of the stuff all over the boat with very little performance loss due to weight.

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can attest to that... either we were very lucky Weimed (and I doubt that that cause my luck generally doesn't run that hot), or something else is going on to cause the wide range of performance we are "seeing" with moderate changes to distribution. Yes, the boat will list, or ride high in front or even porpoise (causes the most speed change in my opinion) but all with the exception of porpoising result in 2-4mph changes for me... at best..well worst and or little other than attitude changes (the boat not mine) with minimal speed loss. I'm stumped... though actually.. getting "stumped" will definitley slow our boats down. lol. How's it going in sunny FL Weimed?? ;)

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hmm, wife sits in the bow when my trim is set where I ride solo it will porpoise some. Have to changed the trim a knotch and it runs flat and smooth. If yours run great no matter who's riding in it you guys know something I haven't figured out. Her and the dog weigh about 170#, I'm 225. That's almost three times more than the boat weighs. Have to shuffle the weight around to get it to ride smooth but the wife hates giving up her bow seat, that why I adjust the trim.

G

Hmm, wife sits in the bow when my trim is set where I ride solo it will porpoise some. Have to changed the trim a knotch and it runs flat and smooth. If yours run great no matter who's riding in it you guys know something I haven't figured out. Her and the dog weigh about 170#, I'm 225. That's almost three times more than the boat weighs. Have to shuffle the weight around to get it to ride smooth but the wife hates giving up her bow seat, that why I adjust the trim.

I would love to see the performance of that zuki on my boat

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Most of the 450 rigging is complete, was waiting for my co worker to show up and glue 2 side tube patches that will hold a nice alum seat from previous 430 never used. But on second thought reached the conclusion that in the medium run due to driver weight, bumps, waves, side patches holders were inevitably going to break, that meant ungluing both side patches and installing new ones, a crime doing so on a newly water toy.

The bath tub deck comes with 2 side edges located where deck glues onto tubes, a wood carpenter is making a 108 cm long transversal, 20 cm wide base seat which will rest on both side edges. 2 lower side spacers will be bolted to base seat and a upper alum seat base will be bolted on upper spacers

Seat Mod.JPG

Total height alum seat base to deck will be 40 cm, can try different height seat cushions to suit my best seating & driving position with respect to tiller. Weight will be in middle deck and not sideways which unbalances Rib to starbord currently sitting position. Friday should be ready, the Champagne as suggested by Weimed is already chilling nicely...

Seat Height.JPG

Happy Boating

ronaldj

Sea Rider
Since your boat is PVC
Do you keep it covered when it is not on the water?
Do you use Chaps on the tubes?
Do you use anything besides 303 UV protection

I use to think that there was an advantage to having a Hyperlon boat.
In the past couple of years I have seen that the new PVC boats and the current Hyperlon boats have the same 5 year warranty.
That makes me question the current state of Hyperlon
Since your boat is obviously PVC and is very large.
I am sure you made a strong case as to why get the PVC over the Hyperlon

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Ronald,

The 450 Rib is Polyurethane fabric, used on rescue boats and large Ribs
It's a nice fabric between PVC and Hypalon, cost is between both.
It's a 1.2 mm fabric compared to a 0.8 mm for Hypalon or 0.9 mm for PVC.
All my Sib/Ribs ranging in sizes from 3.20 to 5.30 are factory built with this fabric.
Personally like thick fabrics, achieves best tube rigidity with less pressure and lasts longer.
Holds more UV, abrassion punishment, although the Rib is treated like a lady.
Hypalon is excellent for Caribbean countries, UV kills PVC fast.
I'm a 303 Aerospace Protectant Fan, spray an overdose from time to time specially during summer.
A thick cover is mandatory if Rib will be highly exposed to the elements all year round.
Usually change my water toys max each 4 years.
Avoids costly repairs along buying costly French or German 2 part glues.
Are Chaps kind of side tubes fender protectors ?

Happy Boating

ronaldj

Sea Ryder
Thanks for the type
I will have to look into polyurethane fabric

Chaps are basically fabric covers for the tubes of a Rib or Sib
The purpose is UV protection.
They are often built to order and are often made from the same material as the better Bemini tops

http://www.sailrite.com/Dinghy-Chaps-Instructions#

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Ronald,

You won't find sibs made out of Polyurethane fabrics, also known as PU, Akron. Are for Leisure, Rescue, Patrol Ribs uses. Valiant Ribs used to make their Ribs with this fabric. Now have changed to German PVC and French Orca Hypalon fabrics to suit buyers preferences and budget. Chaps are used mainly in small dinghies, at least down here. 303 and a thick cover is all I need.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
While the carpenter if finishing making the lower transversal seat base took the perfect time to make an exhaustive 2 day preventive maintenance to all these parts after running for 300 spot on worked hours. Engine should be in opt running state if planing venturing into open sea with that nice 450 Rib.

-Rope starter
-Thermostat.
-Powerhead high pressure water flush.
-Tiller & throttle system.
-Complete fuel system.
-Water pump assy
-Lower leg oil change.
-Prop & drive shafts.
-Power Tuner decarbon overdose.
-2 NGK spark plugs.
-General bolt torque
-General grease to all rotating & sliding parts.

P1220369.JPG

P1220368.JPG

It's incredible the good that Power Tuner Decarbon makes to your powerhead, you can feel the restored power, highly recommended. Have found a big Zodiac round inflatable thwart, after some simple & cheap adaptations should provide a comfy inflatable driver seat that will convert a center console wide Rib into a tiller drive one.

Happy Boating

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like you've been busy. I'm going to be busy soon but rather than working on my boat I'll be driving 2400 miles in one week to get everything down to Houston. That's not too bad for me though because when I was a truck driver I would do 3500-4000 miles a week for three months straight.