I swear...

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: I swear...

Thanks
I have been on the waiting list for a SD330W for about a month now. I have started looking at other options in case the waiting list is too long.
They are due to come in on or about 25 April 2013

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Going back to my short/long shaft/18" transom dilema.

Installing a metal plate at back transom will not be the way to go for the moment as I intend to keep using my short shaft Tohatsu 18 HP horse and alternate with same long shaft HP on my 430 rib. Theoretically will need to make a transom mount/metal plate at least 2" high to raise transom to 20" and match my 20" leg and re arrange both inner, outter engine plates to match new transom height. But chances are will need more than 2" transom raise for rib/engine combo to perform as wanted...

When using the short shaft horse, water flow passes slightly above anticav plate, great wot on straight flat courses, but with aireation issues at close turns or at choppy seas, but still friendly manageable, if opting for the transom mount, half prop will be exposed and engine will be over reving with fatal kaboon consequences.

I’m in the process of making and installing a second removable small deflector plate on the long shaft horse and under trial end error set it to a proper height which will deflect water spray to same water level, that way should have (fingers crossed) a near flat wake with no or minimum water spray at back transom.

When using the long shaft horse, water flow at speed hits the round portion of the upper exhaust housing swirling up and hitting the lower side of the mount bracket where the spray is produced. At least out and not over transom :D

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Long Leg Issues.JPG
    Long Leg Issues.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Long Leg Modification.JPG
    Long Leg Modification.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 1

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Bingo & the Lotto...

After a short mental evaluation of the problem and how to solve it real cheap, decided to make a epoxy cement mould prototype, this 2 part epoxy dries and hardens very fast so you have to work real quick. Made a exact shorter replica of the existing upper small deflector plate. To have made a 2" stainless steel transom mount would have been a huge and costly mistake, as 2" would not have provided enough clearance to solve my excessive back transom shower problem.

Physically there's a 2" leg/transom difference, rolled the dice and went for a 2.5" clearance from where to start, the new deflector plate was held in place by means of several wraps of 3M tape around housing which holds fantastic tight on water. Went for a water test evaluation, at 1/3 throttle the rib went into full plane and to my complete astonishment the back shower fully dissapeared by magic, throttled to 1/2 and same, as the horse has ended it's break in period, went full throttle with same neat rear behaviour although there was no bow mate and water conditions were not ideal flat, were bit wavy & slight windy.

The rib/engine performance is oustanding, tail is 2" below, and water flow is being cut and deflected outside to water level perfection. The new epoxy plate being a 2 piece and relative thin, is holding nicely the strong water flow swirling up and hitting underneath it.

Boaters that are experimenting water splashes issues at back transom with Tohatsu engines will be eternally guessing trying to fix this simle leg problem by not becoming a leg spoter checking physically water splash issues. It's just a matter of plainly understanding how outboard lower legs reacts when being hit by water flow at speed.

With time will opt for a stainless steel or perhaps a acrylic final deflector plate. Now that have luckily guessed in first attempt the correct height will be a breeze to sit forever the final new one. Now can finally use any of my short, long 18 HP horses including any S & L 30's. Total investment : 1.5 hour molding, sanding work, $ 2.00 epoxy cost + 2 cold beers, a real bargain compared to a SS transom mount cost.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Splash Issues-1.JPG
    Splash Issues-1.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Splash Issues-2.JPG
    Splash Issues-2.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Splash Issues-3.JPG
    Splash Issues-3.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 2
  • Splash Issues-4.JPG
    Splash Issues-4.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 2

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sea Rider - Your Tohatsu has wiings. Looks like a nice, simple fix. Good thinking.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Sea Rider - Your Tohatsu has wiings. Looks like a nice, simple fix. Good thinking.

Thanks, now can go boating full throttle and more performance pleased than before...

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The epoxy deflector prototype not having a perfect seal fit against upper leg produced some slight water splashes upwards, after some modifications to match housing shape and perfect silicone seal above & below plate, the overall performance is so oustanding that have my doubts if will be going for a new SS or acrylic definitive deflector.

I'm thinking in adding a second deflector plate to the leg of the short shaft 18 HP engine, there's some unwanted water splash backwards, to my taste not at water level as the long shaft is achieving. This one is easier to build as the leg has already the housing edge (where water flow cuts itself).

On the long shaft had to build a 10 cm epoxy edge between lower and upper deflector plate as housing there is round which contributed to swirl more water increasing it's pressure against lower def plate, counting with an edge there water flow now cuts nicely minimizing water swirl pressure against lower def plate.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Didn't want to end this quest in pursuit of perfect transom/engine height match not knowing achieved max RPM & speed at wot, installed the new Tiny Tach (TT2A) firing programmable model, the previous older model read double rpms and blocked readings once at 9999 rpm. The tach was secured momentarily to tiller arm with tape.

The 430 rib/Tohatsu 18 L engine combo was tested under slight windy & wavy sea conditions at a 1.5 Km rowing course. Total weight : rib, engine, driver, gasoline, and extras made 300 Kg. After 5 minutes warm up went full throttle, seconds later, the rib jumped instantly onto plane, to my complete surprise the engine was roaring at 5,780 rpm from it's max 5800 factory stated achieving 41.0 Km/H. Not bad numbers at all as the minimum recommended engine for that size sib is 30 HP.

This test shows that 2 strokes engines being lighter and extremely punchy used on light weight sibs/ribs well inflated and perfect transom/engine height matched doesn’t need at all a pitch change as the standard delivered prop is all what you need. Probably same engine with standard prop used on smaller inflatable will be overreving at wot, but who knows for sure if an induction tach is not installed; will need to go next higher pitch for engine to lower extra RPM achieved and work inside max safe wot parameters factory staed for that engine specially if you like to ride alone enjoying constant full throttle operation.

You could benefit having 2 props, the standard factory delivered for general light to medium loads and a less pitch prop for heavier applications as when boating at wot with full passengers or as a heavy workboat.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• TT Install 1.JPG
    TT Install 1.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 2
  • TT Install 2.JPG
    TT Install 2.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 1
  • MAX WOT RPM.JPG
    MAX WOT RPM.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 2
  • GPS MAX SPEED.jpg
    GPS MAX SPEED.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 2

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Time to say Good Bye

After huge troubles with Marina due to cracy water conditions, trailer man delays, you name it, sold the Sea Rider 430 Rescue Rib. Last week end was its last voyasge with me and new owner which by the way was fascinated with the quick Tohatsu 18 HP fast response and the cool idea about driving next to transom sitting confy on a custom air deck. He plans installing a 2 stroke 30/40 HP for plain summer family leisure.

P1220288 (R).jpg

P1220274 (R).jpg

P1220283 (R).jpg

Tomarrow will take the new 450 Rib to the Marina to start rigging it, hopefully in 2 days should be 100% operative for its maiden voyage and to test if that 18 is capable of planing the Rib, fingers crossed.

Happy Boating

ronaldj

Time to say Good Bye

After huge troubles with Marina due to cracy water conditions, trailer man delays, you name it, sold the Sea Rider 430 Rescue Rib. Last week end was its last voyasge with me and new owner which by the way was fascinated with the quick Tohatsu 18 HP fast response and the cool idea about driving next to transom sitting confy on a custom air deck. He plans installing a 2 stroke 30/40 HP for plain summer family leisure.

Tomarrow will take the new 450 Rib to the Marina to start rigging it, hopefully in 2 days should be 100% operative for its maiden voyage and to test if that 18 is capable of planing the Rib, fingers crossed.

Happy Boating

Ok Sea. Rider
I'm confused.
I thought you went to the 430 because the 450 would not sit on your trailor and you were worried about your outboard and tillers tearing
So since you have marina issues where will you store your 450 and how will you transport it?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Ronald,

The new 450 has a new trailer and will be parked at same spot occupied by the 430 as seen on previous pictures. The boating Club has invested mucho cash consolidating the parking patio against aggressive wave misbehaviours. So patio & trailer issues has been finally resolved for our 2015 hot summer. A friend that surfs needed desperately a surfing shuttle, the 430 was perfect for him due to being low board compared to the 450, couldn't resist his 4K $ offering for Rib and trailer in mint opt state cond, so had to leave it be.

Having already a new packed 450 think was time for an upgrade, it's a lot more Rib than the previous 430. My idea is to use this 450 for some time, I'm in persuit of a 430 alum hull rib which weights half of the 450 and doesn't need a punchy + HP engine. Thursday should make its maiden voyage with an 18 HP, if it's a poor performer for just fast displacement speeds and doesn't want to plane the Rib probably will install a new 50 HP to my utter disgust, need a wrestler arm to pull rope, weights around 40 KG more, 3 carbs > fuel guzzler compared to a light, simple and proven reliable 18. Will see as the rigging and water tests evolves.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Congratulations Sea Rider may you have many good boating days ahead.

G

Grats Searider. Enjoy your new baby. I just made it down to Florida. New job and all the unpacking has me so busy i have not had the chance to unpack my zoom and bang some fish. Hopefully within the next month or so i will get all setup and start posting my rig on the trailer:). My concern is, if im trailerint my boat and the outboard is hanging off it. It must be putting a hude amount of pressure on the transom and the glue riding at 60mph on the road with bumps. Would some kind of shock absorber be needed???

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Would you happen to know what your speed was in MPH?

The old 430 was doing solo riding on flat calm no wind sea cond 41.00 Km/H measured with a GPS on 1 Km rowing track with a 2 stroke Tohatsu 18 HP engine. Max wot rpm was 5,790, just 10 rpm less than max 5,800 factory stated parameters, that's with standard delivered prop.

I'm a true believer that you should not keep a constantly used sib/rib mint cond for more than 4 years. Now with more UV sun radiation punishment glue parts will inevitably become detached, 4 years is a perfect time to say good bye including a profitable sale price.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Hey Weimed,

Sorry to read that the NY boating forum members gang is losing one of its members. At least in Fla will go boating more often than you do in NY, good for you.

About trailering a sib, according to my experience if your lower tubes sits well on bunks, you have a horizontal wooden slat to support lower transom and tubes are top inflated to at least 3.0 psi won't have issues. Don't know about 4 stroke engines which weights around + 10 Kg compared to same 2 stroke versions. If you have always inflated tubes to its working pressure, transom should be well glued to support an engine hanging from it.

Trailers usually have rear floating suspension that handles well the road while towing a trailer/sib/engine combo.

Happy Boating

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

If I were you Weimed I would call Trailex Trailer and see if they would sell you one of their transom supports. I would expect it would not cost much and it would be an easy bolt on. I too am heading south soon to Houston. After living for five years in south Texas I went north to Michigan for the summer to see my children. I then went to Kansas where there were family and friends and decided to stay but just got a job offer that is to good to pass on. I will be living on Lake Houston and I'm looking forward to getting the boat in the water for the first time and having much good boating ahead.

Attachments

• photo214150.jpg
    photo214150.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 0

ronaldj

Grats Searider. Enjoy your new baby. I just made it down to Florida. New job and all the unpacking has me so busy i have not had the chance to unpack my zoom and bang some fish. Hopefully within the next month or so i will get all setup and start posting my rig on the trailer:). My concern is, if im trailerint my boat and the outboard is hanging off it. It must be putting a hude amount of pressure on the transom and the glue riding at 60mph on the road with bumps. Would some kind of shock absorber be needed???

Weimed
That is my concern also
I just saw a 12 ft rib with a broken transom because it had a 4 stroke 20hp outboard on it

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

The other thing I use is a transom saver with a spring in it. It not only holds some of the weight but keeps the lower unit away from the pavement. I have an 800 mile trip to Houston coming up and I have to go through Dallas and some rough roads to get there. Hopefully my set up will protect my transom with my 155lb motor on it.

Attachments

• photo215258.jpg
    photo215258.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Pump it Up Baby

Yesterday afternoon the 450 was trailored to the boating Club, arrived in one single piece, alleluia. Today woke early and went straight to the club, first step was inflating the whole Rib for a deep and exhaustive deck, tube cleaning with dish washing detergent and special towels. 2 hours later was eye catching mint cond. Next step was an overdose of UV protectant, a must apply to minimize harmful UV radiation which is rampant than ever around here.

P1220302.JPG

P1220306.JPG

Next was taking the combo to the crane to lift the Rib, the trailer needed an desperate axle ballance, didn't want to hang the engine on transom and the trailer making a wheely, ballancing was spot on, so Rib back onto his trailer and to the parking patio to center the engine at middle transom.

P1220309.JPG

Tomorrow early will put new anchor ropes along towing bridle and try to organize my huge bow locker with things who used to live at back 430 transom, then after, launch to sea for it's maiden voyage...

Happy Boating

G

Pump it Up Baby

Yesterday afternoon the 450 was trailored to the boating Club, arrived in one single piece, alleluia. Today woke early and went straight to the club, first step was inflating the whole Rib for a deep and exhaustive deck, tube cleaning with dish washing detergent and special towels. 2 hours later was eye catching mint cond. Next step was an overdose of UV protectant, a must apply to minimize harmful UV radiation which is rampant than ever around here.

Next was taking the combo to the crane to lift the Rib, the trailer needed an desperate axle ballance, didn't want to hang the engine on transom and the trailer making a wheely, ballancing was spot on, so Rib back onto his trailer and to the parking patio to center the engine at middle transom.

Tomorrow early will put new anchor ropes along towing bridle and try to organize my huge bow locker with things who used to live at back 430 transom, then after, launch to sea for it's maiden voyage...

Happy Boating

Man, that's a sexy beast. Congrats on your boat. You will need to break a bottle of champagne over the transom. Lol