Custom Inflatable Boat Project

vmiarmy03

Cadet
I just wanted to share some pictures of my boat project. I had an older inflatable boat (Achilles 1985 Black Magic, surprisingly still holds air very well) that I wanted to make more family and fishing friendly - add some seating, a front deck to stand on for fishing and to mount a trolling motor, and a bimini top. I used 1" pvc piping for the frame, which was nice because it's light and everything had smooth edges against the boat. I glued several large and strong, heavy duty inflatable boat tow rings and tie down rings to support the weight on the front deck. I used a light weight exterior plywood that I waterproofed and covered in a heavy ply plastic sheeting. Then I finished with an outdoor carpet floor. I used emt conduit, nylon bimini hardware, and a heavy ply contractor grade tarp for the bimini top. The seats are just two long pieces of pine board that I also waterproofed, covered in plastic sheeting and carpeted. I used some boat seat folding hinges on it. I made a cargo platform that uses the unused space over the outboard motor area, but I forgot to put it on for the pictures. I'll try and update it later on. I also installed a pvc rope ladder in front, a trolling motor bow mount, and some Scotty fishing attachments. The floor is aluminum so it gets slippery when wet, so I put a few pieces of rubber fatigue drain mats on it. I had most of the pvc, wood and hardware in my workshop or was given it from friends, so the project cost for me was pretty low. Everything I got at either Lowes or Home Depot (except for the bimini hardware - thanks iboats:). I put some night and weekend time in it, so that was my most valuable cost in it. It was a fun project. I tested it on a local small lake (I only use it in small lakes anyways) and it did pretty well and it was pretty stable. It's not going to win any speed contests, but the family is happy with it and makes our time on the water more convenient and enjoyable. The best part is that I made it where I can break it all down and store it away during the winter. The trailer I use is a Harbor Freight Heavy Duty folding trailer, so I can tuck that away too. I added some boat bunks, a winch, and submersible lights to it also. It's a great multi-purpose trailer that I can add sides to it for hauling stuff, or make it a flat bed trailer too. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions. Please add your project ideas and pictures too; I'd love to see them.

2012-06-08 14.31.22.jpg2012-06-27 15.51.47.jpg2012-07-28 21.23.07.jpg2012-07-30 18.23.36.jpg2012-07-30 18.24.29.jpg

saabsaviorlee

Seaman
Re: Custom Inflatable Boat Project

That thing is awesome! How stable does it feel? Could you stand on the front platform?

vmiarmy03

Cadet

Hey bro, thanks for the compliment:) It's pretty stable. I can walk around all the edges and it doesn't rock much at all. I can stand on the front deck with no problems. I had my bow mount trolling motor down and was standing and fishing on the front deck the other day in the lake and I was like, "this is pretty neat."

I also wanted to add a few more tips for those who already have a transom mount trolling motor and then later on decide they want to use it as a bow mount one. At least with what I had (the Minn Kota Endura 50lbs. transom mount), all I had to do was to, and I quote from a previous poster: "you also remove the cover on the head, remove the pin thru the shaft, and turn the head, 180 degrees, replace the pin. that way the handle is pointing toward you." I googled, "converting transom mount to bow mount trolling motor" and iboats came through with flying colors as usual with a great first search result. Here's the link to it: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=286493 and another good one too with good pictures: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=344613.

I also installed a Big Foot Trolling Motor Foot Switch (google it, bass pro, etc) in the trolling motor wire between the motor and battery. So I turn the trolling motor on, stand up and step on the switch and the motor turns on. Or you can keep the switch on by pulling the little bar over it (it'll make more sense if you see a picture of it) and then you can just use the trolling motor as normal. It's kind of cool; gives you a foot control, without the direction control though, but I just steer the motor with my other foot (or toes since I'm usually bare foot).

I also replaced the OEM prop with a Kipawa Propeller (google it for more info). I know I get more speed and power than before because I could move up river on a river close to me where I couldn't/had a hard time before because of the current.

These are some good, inexpensive additions and changes for anyone who already has a transom mount trolling motor and don't want to deal with buying another trolling motor and/or trying to sell their existing one. Thanks again for checking out my post and for the compliment. If you have any questions on the build or something, just let me know.

ajrunke

Seaman Apprentice

Very cool! Seems like it gives you a ton more space. The main problem I have with inflatables are the tubes take up too much floor space.

vmiarmy03

Cadet

Thanks bro!:) Yeah, I totally agree with you on tubes taking up floor space. The space the tubes take up could be space for live wells, storage, etc. The only reason I went with the inflatable is because I got it free with a Mariner 25hp outboard from a family friend (and I got that for a steal too, so I had to get it). But I like how I can deflate it in the fall/winter and store it away and make room for the winter toys:)

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

That is way way cool. Now you got me thinking about what more I could do to mine...

saabsaviorlee

Seaman

I'm looking into getting a zodiac style sib probably Saturn or other Chinese model. Currently I have a 30# kota transom with a 30" shaft. Do you think that's long enough to reverse and bow mount ?

RustyShackleford

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's creative and looks well done. I could see making something like that as just something to camp on. Make it a solid deck and you could probably sleep four men to it.

vmiarmy03

Cadet

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the kind words. To jamnn, if you end up doing something similar with your boat and need any more up close pics, just let me know. It was a little trail and error, but it has been well worth it. To saabsaviorlee, my trolling motor is 36" length and it seems more than long enough. I think your 30" trolling motor should work too. If you have it in front and it doesn't move your boat like you want, you can easily convert it back to a transom one and try it out in the back if you have enough space on your transom. To RustyShackleford, I thought about putting in a removable floor over the middle of the boat (where the existing floor is) and making it an even flat surface all the way across. I didn't do it to keep weight and material cost down. But that would definitely give much more usable even surface for camping and other activities. Thanks again guys!

mpj76

Seaman Apprentice

Your PVC skills are impressive! I did some PVC work on mine when I first got it for a sun shade. I used a table top design as opposed to a traditional bimini to keep the sides free and clear for diver entry/exit. After two seasons (garage stored), the PVC started to break and crack at the joints from the rough ocean condidtions - be careful with that. It breaks sharp and can puncture. I recreated it with 2 x 4's. It extremely sturdy - I can stand on it which comes in handy for getting a better vantage point at times. I've used it for camping too, but opted to sleep on the ground. Being able to strap gear to the top makes a huge difference on a small boat.T-TOP.jpgIMG_3260 - Copy.jpg

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

That looks good mpj76. What size is that saturn?

vmiarmy03

Cadet

Hey mpj76,

Thanks for the warning on the pvc. I did keep that possibility in mind when I was building the frame. I made sure I didn't build the frame too far out from the actual boat's tubes, so that the tubes supported the majority of the weight. I'm constantly checking the whole boat for any stress cracks or any damage before and after every use. Also, I only use the boat in small lakes during the day in good, warm weather, everyone on board wears life jackets and I always carry my boat essentials bag (bilge pump, air pump, air horn, whistles, flare gun, reflector, chemlights, etc) . I figured since the boat has four inner chambers and one of the tubes were punctured, the boat is designed to be able to "limp" back to shore. But so far, everything looks real good. By the way, your boat set up looks really nice too. You really added a lot of cargo space with the 2x4 rack and that's pretty cool that it's sturdy enough for you to stand on. Thanks again for the great advice and I'll definitely continue my safety checks.

justagwp

Recruit

'i realize this is an old thread, but thought I would share our custom inflatable with you all. This is something my husband came up with, works great!
Deck is made with marine ply and starboard. We used it all over Florida, mostly in the Keys.

IMG_2352.jpg

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey, justagwp....do you happen to know the weight limit on your boat?

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

'i realize this is an old thread, but thought I would share our custom inflatable with you all. This is something my husband came up with, works great!
Deck is made with marine ply and starboard. We used it all over Florida, mostly in the Keys.

View attachment 193512
is that a fixed setup or can you break it down when you store the boat

justagwp

Recruit

Sorry, don't know the weight limit on the boat... it's a 'jumbo" Zodiac and don't have the paperwork.

The whole thing breaks down. We always motorhomed as snowbirds in the winter, and the whole thing (each componet) would fold up and fit in one of the baggage compartments. Took about 40 min. to get it all set up and ready to go fishing. IT was/is perfect for the very shallow flats fishing we did.

Somewhere I have photos of it all broke down... but might be on my other computer.

Unfortunately my husband passed away 2 yrs ago and I haven't put her back together. I have since moved to FL and am bringing it down in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I will remember how it all fits and she will be back on the water again!

vmiarmy03

Cadet

Thanks justagwp for sharing your boat setup. You all did a wonderful job with the customization and that's amazing that it all breaks down for storage and transport. My boat is starting to show it's age (circa 1986) so I am thinking about restoring it with "Tuff Coat", an inflatable boat restoration paint. I need to see if there is a money back guarantee or coverage warranty. Has anyone used this or a similar product or have any opinions on it? Thanks everyone :)