Custom motor mount for Seahawk II without motor mount fittings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunbunnysoulja

Recruit
Hello all! I recently purchased a NIB 2003 model Intex Seahawk II off craigslist, which is great but unfortunately I didn't realize it doesn't have the motor mount fittings until after purchase. I plan on getting a Minn Kota 30 but I need to fab up a motor mount and I'm looking for suggestions. I saw some online where people made a platform (seat/motor mount combo) and saw others who made a bracket via PVC pipe and tied it into the rod holders. My model has both fishing rod holders in the rear, opposed to the new 1 rear/1front.

I also found this old thread where a guy did something similiar with the actual Intex Mount.

I would like something that I can take on and off so I can throw the boat back in the bag.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Custom motor mount for Seahawk II without motor mount fittings?

The first link has been deleted, so that I couldn't see the pic.

The third guy has lots of details (which I just scanned through) about his experience and he had the fix for some of the problems, which is good. It look kinda ugly though :) The PVC one looks good, as long as the length of PVC can be made adjustable. The transom needs to be pressed against the back tube to be stable. That's how the factory motor mount work. The factory motor mount has a couple of different positions for each of four pipe legs (two on top, two against the back of the tube) that you can adjust the length of.

Good luck!

gunbunnysoulja

Recruit

I fixed the first link/image (which is the one I currently like the most so far). I appreciate the reply! Still not sure which route I want to go. I will most likely just be using a light 30 Minn Kota so it doesn't have to be anything crazy reinforced. I wish I could just use the regular intex mount :(

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup. I like the first one the best also. :) This is very simple and good design. It is probably the strongest amongst the three. I am thinking this is stronger then the Intex mount. Attaching this to the boat might be quicker than factory mount also. Let us know how it turned out.

gunbunnysoulja

Recruit

Yup. I like the first one the best also. :) This is very simple and good design. It is probably the strongest amongst the three. I am thinking this is stronger then the Intex mount. Attaching this to the boat might be quicker than factory mount also. Let us know how it turned out.

Yea I gotta figure out what to make it out of. I don't want it to be crazy heavy but would like it to double as a seat also. I'm assuming a treated or carpeted plywood, not sure of the thickness though. Will probably make cutouts for the rod holders so it can slip over, and maybe connect to the boat with bungee cords to the rope eyelets.

The little cubby below would be a good place to stow the battery.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the benefit of that design is actually you sitting on it make it even more solid. As you run the motor, it will try to pull down on the back end. So your weight will work against it. I have 1/2 " plywood on my floor and it is solid and heavy. If I were to make this, I would go thinner. I would just paint it. I don't know what kind of floor Seahawk II has, make sure battery is secure as the tail end of the floor is slanted up. The first time I went out, before I put my custom floor, the battery rolled. ( I had no-leaking kind of battery so no damage there. )

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One clarification. I was talking about the bench part of it when I said less than 1/2". The transom part of the factory mount thick. Probably 1 1/2" (?).

gunbunnysoulja

Recruit

One clarification. I was talking about the bench part of it when I said less than 1/2". The transom part of the factory mount thick. Probably 1 1/2" (?).

Yea I plan on making the transon nice and thick. That would be great if the plywood can be less than 1/2". My only concerned part is would the seat flex from sitting on it? Although most of it is going to be resting on the back/side of the boat anyways. I plan on putting the battery under the seat however. Going to use a Minn Kota Power Center as well for the battery. I do however think its going to be close for height from the floor to the bottom of seat.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good point about the flex by sitting on it. I suggest you to go the home improvement store and try feeling how much it flex. That's how I decided on 1/2" for my floor.

I don't know about you, but I like to cut cost where I can without effecting the use. Minn Kota Power Center is expensive. You can buy just the battery box from Walmart for $8. I picked up 50A Manual Reset circuit breaker (rated 12v-24v) for less than $10. My motor has battery checker.

What happened was after I installed my custom hard floor, the floor is so solid, I have no concern of tripping the battery at all. So I am not even using the battery box, as I don't see much benefit of using box.

I am kicking myself for buying non-spill kind of battery (AGM) for over $200. My second battery I bought from Walmart was regular deep cycle battery (spillable) was like $80.

gunbunnysoulja

Recruit

Thanks for the informative reply! I'm certainly all about cutting costs. I think I will do the same then and get the walmart box and 50A breaker. Is it easy to connect the terminals to the battery when using the cheap box?

Is this the correct one? I didn't realize they were so cheap. I saw the Power Center had a 60 built in so I assumed I wouldn't save too much cash otherwise. I am pondering the hard floor, but I'm not positive yet. I just plan on using the boat for putting around the lakes in my area so idk if I will be standing up much. Don't want to add to much more stuff to bring and weight to carry back and forth.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're welcome. Yes, that looks like what I have. I did like this using a piece of metal I found.

3500uxk.jpg

shakas

Recruit
I realized I bought a Seahawk ii that didn't have the motor mount attachment points, so I made this:

IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_2518.JPG

Just bought the Intex motor mount and attached it to the board I made with wall braces + nylon lock nuts.
Drilled holes through the fishing rod holders to put a bolt through. I'm currently stringing a small bungee
around the botttom of the motor mount and through the back handle on the boat. It's been working great
so far.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Nice work, but unfortunately 4 years too late.

Back to the archives we go!. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.