Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

1idahoguy

Cadet
For my fishing seats, I used an allen-head bolt and wing-nut combination with T-nuts on the backside of the carpeted plywood. This way, I don't have to use a wrench to secure the seats to the floor when I get to the water. "Finger tight" on the wing-nuts is plenty tight enough to keep them steady. And not having to keep a wrench nearby means one less thing which I am most definitely eventually going to drop into the water. :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36457490/20150616_155427.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36457490/20150616_155349.jpg

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hunteronwheels- Elaborate on the inverter idea, sounds interesting.

Idaho- Looks sharp, any chance they'll pull through the board when you lean back? The pedestals really put some torque on the floor mounts.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I added these pcv pipe connectors to my oar modification. They are much stronger than the stock fittings. The stock fittings break all the time and cannot be found anywhere, even on th Intex website.

http://www.instructables.com/id/What-can-replace-the-broken-Intex-Oars-connector/

I also bought two replacement oar locks to stow on board. For only $2.85 a piece, very cheap insurance. I'm a seasoned windsurfer and have seen all sorts of things go wrong. I was once rescued by the coast guard a mile out in San Francisco bay. Now I know I have rock solid oars and replacement oar locks which will get me home if the motor fails, for whatever reason.

http://www.intexcorp.com/10733.html

Idaho- Looks sharp, any chance they'll pull through the board when you lean back? The pedestals really put some torque on the floor mounts.
i have a small 800watt inverter generator when i am moving long distance i will charge the battery as i go with the inverter and a marine charger thus having and electric and gas motor in one and less chance getting stranded lol i hate to row

neoal

Recruit
Hello everyone! Its been a month that i bought a mariner 4. I have tried the boat few times on the sea and its really great. I have only a small concern about it. When i opened the package it had some kind of white lines which i think were made from the bending and there are on some seams some kind of hard pressed marks. Are they a problem for the boat or i shouldnt be concerned. Thx for your help and happy sailing.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone! Its been a month that i bought a mariner 4. I have tried the boat few times on the sea and its really great. I have only a small concern about it. When i opened the package it had some kind of white lines which i think were made from the bending and there are on some seams some kind of hard pressed marks. Are they a problem for the boat or i shouldnt be concerned. Thx for your help and happy sailing.

Photos?

neoal

Recruit

I havent taken any photo but tomorrow ill be going to the sea again and i can take some photos. Another thing that is bothering me is how do u measure the pressure. Im using the 10cm thing but isnt any pressure gauge to fit the boston valves so that we can measure the pressure. Thx and its really great to be part of this community 👍😉

1idahoguy

Cadet

I'll never say never, but the backside T-nuts shouldn't pull thru. I gave them a thorough workout during the maiden voyage. Then again, I'm only about 180#. Would they support a much heavier guy? Doubtful.

HeffD

Cadet
Hey guys , new to this site , I read all 98 pages over the past couple days , and there is some great mods going on ! I have owned my M4 for about 6 or 7 years now , and I've had some great times with it. I have kept it stock with the exception of adding a cooler seat . Im in the market to buy a new boat because I just have to many holes and leaks in my previous M4,and after reading this forum , I'm definitely going to be buying another M4 and adding a carpeted plywood floor with swivel seats ! However , can anyone tell me if they are discontinued ? Amazon is currently out of stock , and the intex website doesn't even have it listed as one of their boats , they only have the M3 listed. Any info would be greatly appreciated , thanks !

1idahoguy

Cadet
Took mine out again last night. Had my 6 year old boy up front in the 2nd swivel seat (in a life jacket, of course) and the cruise n carry on the back. Took about 20 minutes to motor to where I wanted to fish, and spent the next hour fishing right at dusk. Perfectly calm water, very warm evening. We had a great time throwing night crawlers and just chatting in the quiet evening air. I'm looking forward to a lot more of these kinds of trips.

HeffD

Cadet
The American amazon may have it in stock , but the canadian Amazon has it "temporarily" out of stock

Brusac

Seaman
Hunteronwheels-

If you insert the t-nuts from the top you can pull them out if you are not carefull. Insert them from the bottom and the chances of pulling them through are all going to be based on the thickness of the plywood and the condition of the wood. Good wood that is 1/2 to 3/4" thick and it should be good for the average big and tall fellow. Forget to seal the wood around the t-nuts and it absorbs water, well then all bets are off.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I used flush screw heads with washers and taped the screws with duct tape to protect the soft floor insert. I'm using 5/8" marine grade plywood. That should prevent me from ending up in the lake watching my boat motor away unmanned. I hope.