Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

1idahoguy

Cadet
Regarding propulsion for my mod'd M4, I've debated back and forth between electric trolling motor (Minn Kota) vs. gasoline outboard. I finally decided that, given the distances I'm likely to travel from boat launch, a gasoline outboard was better suited to my situation. Now, which outboard to get. Sure, a 4hp Honda would be ideal. But $1500 is WAAAAY outside my price range. Used Evinrude's or Johnson's come up on Craigslist every now and then. But they still demand ~$400-500 for the 30-40 year old models.

Last week, I found a very old, but brand new "Cruise n Carry" brand 2.7hp on local classifieds. This little motor has been sitting in its original box, on some guy's garage shelf for the past ~20 years. It has NEVER been used in the water before. In fact, it has never had gasoline in it. I had the guy put just enough gas/oil mix in it to see if it would run. Fired on the 3rd pull. Yes, it's noisy. I realize that. But it also weighs just 18lbs. And for as much as I'm likely to use this thing throughout the year, I just couldn't pass it up for $200.

Can't wait to get it out on the water in the next week or two and see just what it'll do.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you have a GPS, post what you top speed is. With my Minkota CS 30, my M-4 runs 2.5 + mph. Although it's water over the bridge for you now, I may have considered getting a trolling motor and perhaps running with two batteries if you're worried about range. The M-4, even loaded with a floor and two people blows all over the place in even light winds. It's feather light compared all but the smallest aluminum boats. If you'll be fishing and predominantly anchor, no worries. If you like to cast the shorelines, you may have issues with the gas motor.

Simon916

Cadet
http://i.imgur.com/8DDjOMw.jpg

She came in today! Holy **** is it heavy. Haha
Might have to rethink throwing it on top of the GMC Envoy.

Looks like UPS got a bit rough with it. Going to have to clean the garage and get it laid out, but it doesn't look to have been damaged.

http://i.imgur.com/1Vf7uoh.jpg

I've noticed a discrepancy with the weight capacity in regards to the Intex website & Amazon listing the capacity at 880lbs vs the box and Certificate of Origin listing as 1050lbs.

Last edited:

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Better start working on the wood floor and seats etc. Did you pick up a motor, mount, battery and air pump yet?

Simon916

Cadet
I have an electric coleman pump for the sevylor, I'll use that and finish with the included hand pump. As for the floor and batt etc, I'm going to wait and see if the dmv cooperates with getting it legal. I have 2 trolling motors, both older models. One is a minnkota 24 and the other is a reverse head Motorguide Stealth 300, both of which aren't going to cut the mustard. Debating 40 vs 55.

Currently up to page 45 of this thread, lots of good info.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My Coleman pump inflates mine to full pressure. I just use the hand pump to inflate the keel. Surprisingly, my Minkota c2 30 does a great job. I traveled several miles. at least, last trip in lots of wind, the lake I go to is surrounded by windmills to give you an idea of the typical conditions, and I had plenty of power. It also has a 30" shaft which fits the boat better. Hard to find the smaller shafts in the larger motors. You don't want to extend the shaft too far in the water because like lever, it will apply more downward torque on the rear of the boat diminishing forward torque.
I'm heading out tomorrow for some bass action. Can't wait.

Simon916

Cadet
Yeah, but I'm a fat guy and I'll have the wife and kids as passengers sometimes lol. My old minnkota 30 did admirably pushing my 300lb butt around on the sevylor 280, I've since moved to a windier locale and would appreciate some extra oomph when needed.

Already scouring Craigslist for an old 2 stroke as well.

Good luck on the bass. I've been skunked the past 5 outtings. Ugh.

Last edited:

1idahoguy

Cadet
If you have a GPS, post what you top speed is. With my Minkota CS 30, my M-4 runs 2.5 + mph. Although it's water over the bridge for you now, I may have considered getting a trolling motor and perhaps running with two batteries if you're worried about range. The M-4, even loaded with a floor and two people blows all over the place in even light winds. It's feather light compared all but the smallest aluminum boats. If you'll be fishing and predominantly anchor, no worries. If you like to cast the shorelines, you may have issues with the gas motor.

Today was (finally) the maiden voyage. Per GPS, my top speed was 6mph. Just me in the boat, so very back heavy. Ran great though. I thought the little cruise n carry engine would be a LOT louder than it is. It's certainly no Honda, but it's very tolerable IMO. I was on the water for 4 hours. About half of that was anchored and fishing. The other half was cruising around getting a feel for the thing. I'm very happy with how it all turned out. Looking forward to many more days on the water.

Bobbio

Recruit
Anyone know of any place that people would share information and post pics of their mods. Thanks.

1idahoguy

Cadet
Anyone know of any place that people would share information and post pics of their mods. Thanks.

Yeah, I'd be happy to post pics of mine. I've tried to do so previously but it didn't work. Maybe I'll try again. Or dump them in my public Dropbox directory and provide the link here.

Bobbio

Recruit
Man that is a beautiful lake. I wish I had the trip to test my mariner there. Looks like a place to just sit back and fish, swim and take it all in. So far people have been interested in my mariner 4. I got it off this guys pic of his mariner. Was the pic I used for my inspiration. Seems a gas powered motor would get you as far as you need. When and if you check it out, my vid, just know I didn't spend mad money. The trolling motor was the expensive one in this project. enjoy. glad I found some mariner people to message. Thanks for your post.

fmjets11

Recruit
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

I chose to go with pedestals for my seat mounts. This is easier to instal and remove as we'll as a much lighter set up.
I foun a quick access hole cover for th floor that will cover the hole that allows access to the keel inflation point. I used T-bolts from underneath the floor and sealed them in with silicone. View attachment 206617View attachment 206618View attachment 206619

Here is the link to that hole cover, finally found it online...

http://www.a m a z o n.com/Beckson-Clear-Center-Screw-Plate/dp/B00DNBDFMS/ref=sr_1_20?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1433909962&sr=1-20

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Today was (finally) the maiden voyage. Per GPS, my top speed was 6mph. Just me in the boat, so very back heavy. Ran great though. I thought the little cruise n carry engine would be a LOT louder than it is. It's certainly no Honda, but it's very tolerable IMO. I was on the water for 4 hours. About half of that was anchored and fishing. The other half was cruising around getting a feel for the thing. I'm very happy with how it all turned out. Looking forward to many more days on the water.

Looks good. 6 mph is fast. That definitely looks like a reservoir lake.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here's a how to on my oar modification project:

I removed the plugs, spring tabs and tube clamps from the tubes. Purchased a 48" by 1" hardwood, it may be Birch, dowel at Home Depot. The tube ID is something like 1.13". To shim the dowels for a tight fit, every 5" I wrapped the dowel with 4-5 wraps of duct tape. I made sure there was a duct tape wrap at the bottom, where the two tube sections join and where the dowel emerges from the tube at the top. I inserted the newly formed handle section into the paddle and rotated the old spring tab hole 180 degrees away from the paddle spring tab hole. I drilled a pilot hole through the tube via the tube section spring tab hole and sunk a stainless screw. I siliconed all possible water entry points. Wrapped a few wraps of neon orange duct tape around the tube joint sections to make sure they don't work apart and also higher visibility if it ever falls overboard. I then put on the tennis racket grip tape on the dowel section which extends out of the tube. Old paddle length- 53" New paddle length 62" Dowel length 48" Dowel extension handle 8.5" Dowel diameter 1".

I didn't weigh the dowels but the extra, imo, is negligible. I recommend using Birch or similar. Oak or the like would be too heavy. I did this because I was blown into the leeward shore of the extremely windy lake I frequent. While trying to paddle out canoe style the oar was flexing big time, to the point I was concerned I may snap it. The leverage was also poor due to it's short length. I used them last weekend. The difference is night and day. I was pricing aftermarket oars but decent ones were $40 and up. This whole conversion coast around $10.

Attachments

• photo222621.jpg
    photo222621.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 23
  • photo222627.jpg
    photo222627.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 22
  • photo222628.JPG
    photo222628.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 21
  • photo222629.JPG
    photo222629.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
hello
just joined this forum
after ordering my mariner 4 i found this forum wowww what alot of great info
i will be adding a wood floor and a pedestal seat
now i always always fish alone so i am going to to mod my boat accordingly
i am going to be adding a live well / cooler to the front of the boat
so in a pinch some one could sit there
i do most of my fishing standing
i may attempt to put in a seat the will slide back and forth a couple of feet
and i have been reading this forum from the beginning to get ideas and maybe bypass some mistakes
no i am going to use a trolling motor so i came up with something to give me more distance
batteries are really heavy so i am going to use the same set-up as i use on my electric mobility scooter
one battery and one 800 watt 20lb inverter generator for extra distance and so i dont get stranded lol