Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I meant to post the 2.5 Suzuki as the biggest 4stroke motor I would go for. This is because it weighs 29 pounds. Yamaha, Tohatsu etc of the same power go about 40 sounds.

trevor41

Recruit
The 3.5 is the same weight as the 2.5hp. I have been told the 3.5 has larger jets but they are basically the same motor. It didn't sag the tubes sitting on it but the smallest amount of thrust buried the motor. I was just surprised since you see lots of videos with no support that are running it. I will add 2 straps and either attach them to the floor or to the side of the boat where the grab rope goes through. I am not looking to go incredibly fast, but getting to 7mph would be nice.

kallsop

Recruit
Ready to join in the fun, got my M4 and Suzuki DF2.5S. Here in Connecticut I need to register any powered boat. I know about the Intex web page to get the Certificate of Origin. With that, and the Amazon sales receipt showing sales tax paid to CT, is there anything else I need to know about getting the boat registered at DMV?

FYI:
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=817&q=245288

Last edited:

Brusac

Seaman
kallsop - registration stickers tend to not want to stay on the M4 and want to peel off instead. I would recommend checking if you can mount them to a small board that you can hang from the rope on the M4 versus trying to get them glued to the tubes.

kallsop

Recruit
kallsop - registration stickers tend to not want to stay on the M4 and want to peel off instead. I would recommend checking if you can mount them to a small board that you can hang from the rope on the M4 versus trying to get them glued to the tubes.

I noticed that some said they used stencils and a sharpie permanent marker, I plan to do that.

Also, I went with a new Suzuki and intend keep this for a long time. I have experience with cheap Chinese engines on motorized bicycles and they are universally awful, so knew to stay well clear of the low end Chinese outboards (Hangkai etc.). Boating needs to be fun, don't want to have to worry about the equipment.

Last edited:

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I noticed that some said they used stencils and a sharpie permanent marker, I plan to do that.
This is what I did and used patch glue for the state sticker (in Indiana you have registration numbers and a state sticker). The sticker holds pretty good, just need to add a little glue on the edges when they start to lift.

ChooseSlayer

Recruit
Hey everyone - newbie here.
Became interested in getting an inflatable with a motor next summer and found this thread during my research. VERY cool and informative; so many great, creative ideas for mods. Mariner 4 with a Minn kota 55lb is definitely the right fit for me from what I have seen here.

I guess I have more of a general question about the trolling motors... do they generally shut down like a motorcycle when you cease to turn them (letting go of the handle), or would I definitely want to install a kill switch? I can't get Minn Kota to get back to me. :(
I have read on here some about the kill switch, but it was not clear to me if it was for another purpose.

Thanks!

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone - newbie here.
Became interested in getting an inflatable with a motor next summer and found this thread during my research. VERY cool and informative; so many great, creative ideas for mods. Mariner 4 with a Minn kota 55lb is definitely the right fit for me from what I have seen here.

I guess I have more of a general question about the trolling motors... do they generally shut down like a motorcycle when you cease to turn them (letting go of the handle), or would I definitely want to install a kill switch? I can't get Minn Kota to get back to me. :(
I have read on here some about the kill switch, but it was not clear to me if it was for another purpose.

Thanks!

Hi,

The motor runs constantly until you turn the handle/control off. In other words, if you turn/twist the handle to whatever speed it will stay at that speed until you twist it to the off position.

carguy4471

Recruit
129 pages is a LOT to go through. I've read through much of it but thought I'd just ask the experts.

I've got a bone stock Mariner 4 and would like to keep the stock flooring for portability reasons but would like to add a decent seating option for 2. The boat will be transported broken down in the back of a small utility trailer. I will be using a trolling motor if that effects the input anyone would like to offer.

What I've come up with thus far:
-Milk crate with boat chair, unstable
-Cooler with detachable swivel mount and boat chair, decent option
-Wise boat seat pedestal with swivel mount and chair, need to determine if the legs will fit between the slats and NOT damage the floor

Any other options I should look into for having a decent seating option while still using the stock flooring. Something I can still break down and pack up.

Thanks everyone!!!

Brusac

Seaman
carguy4471 before I went with a plywood floor I used the stock floor with a piece of plywood that I sat on the floor. It was wide enough to slip under the tubes and long enough to have a milk crate sitting ontop of it and extend out 1 foot in-front of and behind the crate. I centered the crate and marked it position and then drilled 4 large holes through the board and used cargo straps to hold the crate to the board and I had a boat seat mounted to the crate. The straps were single piece straps with a buckle on one end, the strap basically circled the crate and the board (passing through the holes of course) and then it fed through the buckle. It actually worked very well, was very stable and could fit into any car trunk when broken down.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Iwas given a half moon shaped piece of hardwood that was the end of a table top, I added a piece of oak to the flat edge of this piece to hold my downrigger on one side, the fish finder on the other. This sits on the top of the tubes at the back. I am going to add a glued on patch with a piece of webbing holding a ring to tie the seat down on one side, the existing factory glued on fittings for the battery holder and the little bag (neither of which I use) will be used to tie the other side and the back of the seat in place.

Anyway, if you cut a piece of 3/4 or 5/8 inch plywood to fit the back of the boat, in a half round shape, you will come up with the same type of setup that I have. The table top end just happens to fit really well. I would make it a couple of inches wider than the center of the tubes and bring it around to clear your motor mount. Make sure that the cut edges are nice and smooth. you can tie down the back to the battery bag and just let it sit in place with your weight, or you can extend it to the outer edges and tie it down to the rope that goes around the boat. A hole drilled through the seat can be used to fasten the rope.

A nice hardwood plank, or a piece of plywood across the boat, resting on the top of the tubes and tied down to the outside will serve as a front seat if one is required.

cmilot6329

Recruit
No Title

Took the boat out to a local lake for the first time after doing all my mods and thought I would share some photos of my setup. I used many ideas off here and added a few. Except forgetting our oars the trip was a success. Luckily we had no issues with the battery and trolling motor at all.

Attachments

• photo254609.jpg
    photo254609.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 61
  • photo254610.jpg
    photo254610.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 59
  • photo254611.jpg
    photo254611.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 60
  • photo254612.jpg
    photo254612.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 56
  • photo254613.jpg
    photo254613.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 62
  • photo254614.jpg
    photo254614.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 61
  • photo254615.jpg
    photo254615.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 61
  • photo254616.jpg
    photo254616.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 59
  • photo254617.jpg
    photo254617.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 60
  • photo254618.jpg
    photo254618.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 59
  • photo254619.jpg
    photo254619.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 59
  • photo254620.jpg
    photo254620.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 65
  • photo254621.jpg
    photo254621.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 67
  • photo254622.jpg
    photo254622.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 65
  • photo254623.jpg
    photo254623.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 62
  • photo254624.jpg
    photo254624.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 66

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Iwas given a half moon shaped piece of hardwood that was the end of a table top, I added a piece of oak to the flat edge of this piece to hold my downrigger on one side, the fish finder on the other. This sits on the top of the tubes at the back. I am going to add a glued on patch with a piece of webbing holding a ring to tie the seat down on one side, the existing factory glued on fittings for the battery holder and the little bag (neither of which I use) will be used to tie the other side and the back of the seat in place.

Anyway, if you cut a piece of 3/4 or 5/8 inch plywood to fit the back of the boat, in a half round shape, you will come up with the same type of setup that I have. The table top end just happens to fit really well. I would make it a couple of inches wider than the center of the tubes and bring it around to clear your motor mount. Make sure that the cut edges are nice and smooth. you can tie down the back to the battery bag and just let it sit in place with your weight, or you can extend it to the outer edges and tie it down to the rope that goes around the boat. A hole drilled through the seat can be used to fasten the rope.

A nice hardwood plank, or a piece of plywood across the boat, resting on the top of the tubes and tied down to the outside will serve as a front seat if one is required.

Would love to see pics of your setup..

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am not very good with putting photos online. Basically, the tabletop sits on the tubes and the round part comes around the rear in front of the motor mount. I added the oak piece (about 4 inch wide) to the front edge. It hangs outboard of the Port side of the boat to facilitate clamping on the downrigger. The Starboard side extends slightly less and will mount a Fish finder (Christmas gift). The table top was too small to use without putting the plank across the forward edge, to hold these items.

cmilot6329

Recruit
Nice setup cmilot! How many amps is your battery?

I'm using a "EverStart Maxx Marine Battery, Group Size 29DC" from walmart. It says 845 cold cranking amps on their website. It's in the Minn Kota power center which works great! Going to get another smaller battery for accessories like fishfinder and also as a backup just in case the main one quits on me.

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Beem slow around here lately.. I know boating season is pretty much over for most of us in N. America. Got any winter plans for your M4? My plans is too pretty much finish up my benches and also finding a wat to mount ny bow mount trolling motor. Heres what i got so far, mounted it to the stock intex mount for now.

https://youtu.be/JTx84WFWIYo

Jiggyjay

Seaman
I'm using a "EverStart Maxx Marine Battery, Group Size 29DC" from walmart. It says 845 cold cranking amps on their website. It's in the Minn Kota power center which works great! Going to get another smaller battery for accessories like fishfinder and also as a backup just in case the main one quits on me.

Thats a good battery from what ive read for the price. Recently got a bow mount trolling motor used and it came with a battery already which was nice. Plan on running my gas and electric at the same time.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Plans, I have ordered 4 glue on stainless steel rings that I am going to install inside the tubes to act as tie downs for the seat assembly that I mentioned earlier. I ordered them from Amazon for $20 + shipping. I need 3, will probably use the other one for a painter ring on the back.