Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Brianrog79

Recruit
First off, thank you all for the wealth of information throughout this thread!! It definitely sold me on choosing the Mariner 4. Just ordered one last night through my local ********. Should arrive in a week or two :)

A couple questions that I didn't seem to find answers to as I skimmed through this thread...

First, a few people mentioned reinforcing the keel seam. How would you recommend doing this?

Next, hooks... what kind of experience do you all have with yanking to remove a snag and the hook flying back and puncturing the boat? Is this something I just need to be extra cautious about? Or am I over thinking it?

Finally, does anyone have experience with Customboatfloors.com? I am not the most experienced with shaping large pieces of wood, and I figure I'd end up spending more time and money attempting to customize a floor than the 150+ cost of ordering one. They look nice, just curious on any feedback on regards to them.

This is my first boat purchase... will be used mostly on small to medium size dams/lakes in North Dakota. My boating experience is pretty limited, so will be taking it easy for awhile, haha. Will more than likely install a 30-40 sized trolling motor, but haven't ordered one yet. Figure I'll rough it with oars my first few times out.

Thanks!!
- Brian

Last edited:

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Dude, no way, I spent maybe $40 on my first floor and it easily looked just as good. Just need a jigsaw. That's insane... I'm going start doing the same thing, carpet on one side, and sell it for $100

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yesterday was a good and bad day out on the river. I took the wife out with me to fish a little and then the plan was for her to watch as I did a couple of dives, well that was the plan lol.

We caught a few good fish, she out fished me and caught a couple of really good catfish. Then as we were heading towards one of my dive spots we came up on an older couple who were stuck on a very shallow rocky area (this area of the river is anywhere between 3 feet to 2 inches deep and very rocky for about a 1/4 mile). They were fishing and didn't pay attention and got stuck, usually they power through there with their jet o/b no problems. I got out and pushed/pulled them out. I mention this because they come into play in this long story later lol. We then continued on for about five miles down river.

I decided to show the wife an area where there is an eagle nest before my diving. We then leave and go to my diving sight. FIRST PROBLEM of our day happens. The handle pops out of the TM (like others on here have experienced, Minn Kota endura maxx 55) for the first time. It happened at the worse time (was dodging some rocks and getting away from a sand bar). Luckily it popped back in ok. Then 30 minutes later happened again but this time it snapped back in like it was new.
Going to have to check it out tomorrow.

Then we stop at an island for a quick walk around to see what was there. Then we headed back upstream towards my dive site and the SECOND PROBLEM happen about 1/2 mile away from the island. We lost total power. Battery charge was still showing 2 bars on the TM. The prop was not spinning. I took it apart and found out a) the pin in the prop shaft broke and b) I did not bring my spare one!!! So here we are about 4 1/2 miles down river, no spare pin, no cell coverage to call anyone, and nobody else out on the river and no houses until about 3 miles up river and a semi-fast current. I tried rowing but could not make any progress against the current. So I had to wade and pull the boat. Thankfully the river was shallow by the banks. Long story short (well a little short), after about 3 hours of pulling/wading (about 3 miles or so, and the wife riding in the boat most of the way lol) and cussing myself for not bringing those spare parts, we came upon the older couple's camp site (they help run and rent a camp site for their RV for about 7 months a year). They yelled for us to come over. So we did, and the lady drove the wife to our truck at the boat ramp so she can get our truck and load the boat there. The guy was also a veteran like me, so we hit it off really good. Got the boat loaded up and we sat around for about 3 hours BS'ing. They offered us a spot that has about 100 ft water frontage for $20 a month (and electrical) for 7 months a year (the owner hunts the property during the off season so nobody stays there for about 5 months a year). An awesome deal because it usually goes for $100 a month or even more. They said we saved them because they could not have gotten out without us and nobody else would help them, then they saved us from another hour or two of pulling the boat. VERY NICE PEOPLE.

MORALE/LESSONS of this long winded story: A) Always carry backup/spare parts. B) If you are going to a remote or semi-remote area where there are very few people have a portable radio to call for assistance if needed (I have one but lent it to my brother in-law, and I figure we could wade the majority of the trip back if something happened) C) ALWAYS help other people out on the water (I mention this for the rant to follow after this), D) Make sure you are in good physical condition to be able to self rescue if need be (I am in decent shape, but have had neck surgery/fusions so pulling the boat was not fun and the wife is not in great health...) and E) Bring sun screen because I am burnt up lol.

Even though we had these issues, we enjoyed the fishing and being out on the water. Also, we met two new friends and will be enjoying their company!

RANT: We had one boat pass us about 1/2 mile from the campsite. I was pulling the boat and he stopped a few yards away and asked if we broke down, I said yes and what the issue was. He said "sorry about your luck" and took off. Now don't get me wrong, I did not expect help or a pull for a half mile but that was BS. I always help others whenever I can especially out there on the river (I have pulled others for miles in my other boat and have given rides back to the ramp in this Mariner4 because of course I can't pull with it lol). I was taught when I first started boating that you always help others out there on the water or at least send help if you couldn't help. I told the our new friends about this and they said he is an a_^%*&^ and come flying through that area and almost swamped a couple of kayakers.

Sorry for the long post. This adventure was only supposed to last from 6am to about 1pm but lasted until about 7pm. Thankfully I told the inlaws our "boating plan" and estimated time return (I told them to get our other boat and come looking after 6pm but called from the camp site).

Tomorrow I will start working on the issues!

This is why this topic is so long and hard to find actual helpful tips and Mods for Intex Mariners(the point of the topic)

This and numerous other recent posts would be better off in a new, or at least different, topic, rather then here.

IN Mariner: Sorry about the troubles on your recent outing. Hope you get it sorted.....

Guys, stay on topic: Helpful Tips and Mods for Intex Mariner 4s

If you want to brag about your boats, your exploits and adventures in them, or post pix about them, start topics about them, and post there. Then read, follow and comment about those posts in those topics. Thank you

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cant wait to see the dolly, going camping next month and I would love to be able to just wheel the boat back to the campsite.

Holy problems!! Sorry to hear about your luck i cant imagine towing that boat by hand for 3 hours that is insane. And seriously f that guy who didnt help you out, why even bother stopping at ask. I was so happy when i broke down and a lady offered us a ride to our car.

Well if nothing else you got a good story, campsite and some experience out of it. How do you think the pin broke?

Hi KingPhoenix,

I was planning on finishing up the dolly last night but the fun of that day cancelled those plans, but after I get back from the VA tomorrow I hope to finish it.

I am almost positive that the pin breaking was due to hitting all of those rocks in the river. I went through some serious shallow water and was hitting rocks a lot (couldn't see them because the water condition). I am guessing it hit a rock and wedged in causing the prop to momentarily hang up and it popped then. I could be wrong but that's my guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is why this topic is so long and hard to find actual helpful tips and Mods for Intex Mariners(the point of the topic)

This and numerous other recent posts would be better off in a new, or at least different, topic, rather then here.

IN Mariner: Sorry about the troubles on your recent outing. Hope you get it sorted.....

Guys, stay on topic: Helpful Tips and Mods for Intex Mariner 4s

If you want to brag about your boats, your exploits and adventures in them, or post pix about them, start topics about them, and post there. Then read, follow and comment about those posts in those topics. Thank you

I can agree with this and it crossed my mind when I posted it but I felt that in my Morale and lessons section there were good tips. Yes I should have just posted that but also felt the background info would help explain why I posted the tips.

Ok, I will start another thread next time unless it is only mods. BTW, not arguing here lol, I have never had issues finding tips/mods on this thread using proper search techniques (search button is your friend lol)

Have a good night

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi KingPhoenix,

I was planning on finishing up the dolly last night but the fun of that day cancelled those plans, but after I get back from the VA tomorrow I hope to finish it.

I am almost positive that the pin breaking was due to hitting all of those rocks in the river. I went through some serious shallow water and was hitting rocks a lot (couldn't see them because the water condition). I am guessing it hit a rock and wedged in causing the prop to momentarily hang up and it popped then. I could be wrong but that's my guess.

Do you have a circuit breaker on your wire to the battery?

jbcurt00

Staff member
All are welcome. You miss the point entirely.

What if I just joined Iboats because I got an IM4, and love what you did to yours. Is there a topic that details what all you did to it so I can do the same to mine?

Or do I need to wade thru nearly 1900 posts to see the pix and discussion of yours posted in this topic?

Having just joined, I may not be familiar enough to use the search tool effectively.

Perhaps I'm considering an IM4 and would like to see what all other owners have done WITH them, not what they've done TO them. I'm a poor college student w no place to work on a boat project and I'm not outfitted w tools or skills to do any mods. But think I'd like to buy one. Is there a topic about using an IM4 to explore headwaters or marsh areas?

Or do I need to scan thru 1900 posts?

Not discouraging posting of whatever you want to post, talk about or document, only for it not to ONLY be in this topic.

The posts at iboats are not just for us to enjoy, they are a resource for others and those that follow us here. Trying to make it a useful resource.

Stark, check your PMs

300winmag

Seaman
No Title

Well damn that went sideways fast LoL. You 2 need to hug it out, I'm sure some of the text was read in the wrong tone VIA PM or thread which started this all.
IMHO I know how to use the search function so having these stories never bothered me, actually I learnt I should get an extra pin for the prop shaft and many other idea's from such stories. ... In the beginning it might have been a different story but it's 1890 posts too late LoL.

Any who after much searching and thinking about crazy idea's for good solid oars I decided I did not want a coupler in the mix. Too much of a failure point for me and I want them rock solid. My original idea was to get 2 pc's of 1" aluminum pipe at 28" long, slice it down the middle and open it up with a chisel a 1/16 so it fits real nice and snug inside the oar with some adhesive. However after grabbing my broom from princess auto to see if it fit I was amazed at the fact perfection was achieved on the first try. Literally I could not have found a better piece of anything to fit in the oars!
I cut the broom handle in half(think i it's maple) and measured it out so I would put 11" in the upper smaller section of the oar and 28" in the bottom bigger section. I then put the handle in the bottom oar and started banging it on the ground(dowel side down) until I reached 28". Took 5 mins because at the end it was so tight I had to grab a piece of wood and hammer to start banging the oar over the dowel. She was a tight fit but I did the same thing on the upper part of the oar and perfect! it will NEVER come apart even if I wanted it to. So to put it through the oar locks all I do is take the black oar handle off, slide it in and pop the handle back on. The factory glue (combined with the tight fit) on the inside of the handle works wonderful, it's more then strong enough to not let go of the oar unless I grab it hard and reef on it.
So happy with this design, no glue, no mess, no coupler, no sharp edges, just a ton of pressure.

Attachments

• photo248093.jpg
    photo248093.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 26
  • photo248094.jpg
    photo248094.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 27
  • photo248095.jpg
    photo248095.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Back to this thread, I am going to have to start all over on the dolly, I went out this morning and found all my PVC gone! Seems my father in-law came over yesterday to borrow some PVC and my wife told him take whatever he needs. I had all the pieces already cut and and drilled, but laying in a pile waiting for me to paint them today. Is this grounds for divorce??? lol I have been thinking of different designs for the dolly while I was working on this one. The only change I am going to do to this one in progress (once I go get new PVC) is add bigger wheels because the new launch area is really sandy and the small wheels I now have wont cut it (or at least I don't think so). I am going with the "T" shaped dolly unless between now and Friday I find a better design. Has anyone come up with a better design yet? SORRY I was going to post up pics and design specs by the weekend but this happened. I will as soon as possible

Brusac

Seaman
No Title

Went out for about 4 hours today. The good news is no leaks! The bad news, after 4 years of pulling her out of the water at various canoe launches the grab handle on the front decided to start ripping away. It did turn out that I used too much sealant in the tube and it was just pooling in the bottom of the tube so I had to cut some long strips from a rag and tape them to a stick to shove down the valve and mop it up. Once I got the access sealant out it dried up pretty quick.

All in all it was a good day today with more good news, but I will let the picture speak for me...

Attachments

• photo248354.jpg
    photo248354.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 4

coldclearwater

Recruit
Any who after much searching and thinking about crazy idea's for good solid oars I decided I did not want a coupler in the mix.

Yeah I guess they designed them to fit in the box / bag. I just cracked one of my couplers yesterday in a race with my gf on the paddleboard. Anyway, thanks for the inspiration! Did you take the existing aluminum tubes and slide the wood handle inside? Did this end up sacrificing the overall length of the oar? I assume most of us would want longer oars for greater leverage.

On a side note, I also imagine that some of these parts are designed to be weak so as not to compromise the actual boat. And by compromise, I mean tearing the welded vinyl seam that holds down the oarlocks. Putting on some much longer oars could do that, but I'm sure the oar locks would be the first to give.

vinn

Recruit
Hello everyone. that was without a doubt the longest thread i have ever read through! but i started in the beginning and went through every page!

i just got my new M4 last week and took it out for its maiden voyage on saturday with my wife and 2 young kids. I have a Newport Vessels 55# TM that i decided on not only because of its price, but also has a saltwater rating and i live on long island so i want to use in fresh and salt water. powered by an everstart maxx 29dc battery. we were out about 2 hours and throttle between 3 and 5 and only dropped .5 volt.

saturday was hot and humid and after baking in the sun, i ordered a bimini top i saw in this thread to use when not fishing. we go camping in CT on a pond and when anchored out in the middle, the kids like to swim.

i plan on replacing the floor with 1/2" plywood. probably covered in carpet for comfort although, like i said the kids will swim, so it will be getting wet. i have read all the different floor opinions and designs and also how some have seam problems... while looking at mine set up in the basement without a floor i see that only the straight middle section is flat and where the boat curves in on each end it is actually starting to angle up as well. i think a flat floor would be fighting those seams so my plan is a single flat section in the middle 69" long and then the smaller triangular piece at each end so they can angle up like the floor was designed. i also will cut at 34.5" wide because it lands on the outer seam instead of putting all the weight on the inner glued seam.

still wrestling with seating ideas because my wife wants to be able to sit, and also kind of lay down for some sun. i am thinking maybe a wood bench up front level with the top of the boat to house the battery, and the top would extend over the front of the boat and make a nice carpeted platform and use a seat like this because it can also fold flat as a cushion:

here is my boat in the basement (boring now i know) and my battery wiring with breaker that i can reset through box lid. i also wired a dual outlet and wired the motor, charger, 8ga extention cord and battery with heavy duty plugs.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I snapped one of the plastic fittings on an oar, just rowing. I went to Home Depot to see if I could find a plastic 1 1\8 inch compression fitting, but no go, they don't stock them un the local store. I ended up getting a piece of 1 1\4 inch dowel. I have a small wood lathe which will turn up to 12 inch length, which I cut. I turned about 2.5 inches in each end to the inside diameter of the tubing. I put it into the ends of the oar pieces and cemented it together with epoxy. I now have 62 inch long 1 piece oars, with the dowel section replacing the plastic fittings. I may put another section into the end to extend them a bit more.

I am going to paint the wooden part with a Spray can.

vinn

Recruit
Cut out my wood floor today. Sealing it tomorrow then carpet.

This is why I did a 3 piece floor with the seams where I did. You can see how much the ends want to angle up. I think a flat board would put a lot of stress on seams

And a Bimini top from eBay for $99. It comes with bases you can glue right onto your boat, but it fits perfect right in the oar locks! Carabiners on the straps and it folds down and out of the way in seconds.

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice work Vin.

When I made my floor I used only two pieces and did not go completely to the ends (about 6 inches short). Yours looks good. What sealer are you planning on using? Just curious. I used Thompson's sealer because thats what I had laying around in the garage and it has done good. I put on three coats of it (allowing it to dry about 8 to 12 hours between each coat). Then glued and stapled the carpet on. My floor gets soaked on every trip out (because I scuba and metal detect out of it on the rivers and creeks/streams). After every trip out I pull the floors out, brush/sweep the carpet (to get the dirt etc...and water) and let sit standing on its end on an angle to allow the water to drain off and dry out, so far it has held up great.

I was tempted to also get a Bimini top but the areas I go through it would get snagged up in branches etc... It does look good and would like to hear your report when you take it out on how it works out. My other concern with the top is wind. It seems there is always a breeze (and most of the time windy) and seems like this would cause a lot of drag/resistance and with a TM powering the boat it seems like it would slow it down a lot. I guess if I stuck to lakes/calm water it would be ideal for me especially after a long day of diving and detecting to get out of the sun. I do like how you said it fits into the oar locks and fits perfect.

Looks good so far!

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
another MOD that I did and tested was to the Motor Mount. When I first used it, it seemed to me that the motor was set too deep in the water. This is a 2 Horse Johnson with a normal leg, about 15 inches. I got a piece of maple and had it cut to 1 1/4 by 1 3/4 inches. I put "cheeks" on each side of 1/4 inch plywood, then capped it with a piece of 1/4 plywood on top. This raises the engine 2 inches. After painting the assembly, I bolted it onto the existing motor mount pad using 4 bolts (1/4 in diameter).

We tried it out yesterday. With nobody in the boat, it sits too high in the water, the propeller almost half exposed. I also had the tubes filled out so they were firm. My fishing partner is a big fellow, about 230 lbs. He had to be sitting farther back to bring the weight to the stern. he Mod works well, we went out for over 3 hours and had no issues. I don't know what it would be like with just me in the boat. I was going to try it but we were caught in a real downpour just as we got back to the dock.

I would say that fore and aft balance is pretty critical. The other guy being too far forward appeared to affect the stern by raising it. If the motor sits too high when I am alone, perhaps I can not inflate the stern tubes as much. The boat has the original floor.

Brusac

Seaman
Bonaventure - There have been several comments in the past about the motor weaight pulling down on the tubes causing the motor to sit low. I corrected this on my M4 with a short piece of PVC and a copuple of velcro straps and it worked out beautifully. Sometimes simple is best.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am concerned that with the MOD that I have done, the motor may sit too high and not get enough water for the intake to cool the engine (when I am alone in the boat). Since I mostly fish with this big guy, I needed to put the block in to raise the motor. If I am alone, maybe not, but if the engine is too high, deflating the rear tubes slightly may bring it back down. Or I may need to bring the tools required to remove the block. another option for removal is using 1/4 inch pins instead of the bolts.

I did see your Mod, Brusac, with the PVC pipe and am thinking of doing something similar,

I may make another block that is 1 1/2 inches high and try that. maybe 4 bolts are not required and I could get by with only 2 (in case I have to switch out for various passenger weights). I don't think that I am going to go for a Hard floor, but the flexibility of the existing floor may factor into this.Thanks for responding.

KingPhoenix

Seaman Apprentice
Cut out my wood floor today. Sealing it tomorrow then carpet.

This is why I did a 3 piece floor with the seams where I did. You can see how much the ends want to angle up. I think a flat board would put a lot of stress on seams

And a Bimini top from eBay for $99. It comes with bases you can glue right onto your boat, but it fits perfect right in the oar locks! Carabiners on the straps and it folds down and out of the way in seconds.

one thing to remeber is that it will sit differently on the water with the keel inflated. By worry with those small sections at the ends is that the weight won't be well distributed, especially hte battery weight.

The bimini top looks nice, but i cant help but wonder if it is kinda short. if you are putting on seats id imagine your head would be right touching the top.

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
another MOD that I did and tested was to the Motor Mount. When I first used it, it seemed to me that the motor was set too deep in the water. This is a 2 Horse Johnson with a normal leg, about 15 inches. I got a piece of maple and had it cut to 1 1/4 by 1 3/4 inches. I put "cheeks" on each side of 1/4 inch plywood, then capped it with a piece of 1/4 plywood on top. This raises the engine 2 inches. After painting the assembly, I bolted it onto the existing motor mount pad using 4 bolts (1/4 in diameter).

We tried it out yesterday. With nobody in the boat, it sits too high in the water, the propeller almost half exposed. I also had the tubes filled out so they were firm. My fishing partner is a big fellow, about 230 lbs. He had to be sitting farther back to bring the weight to the stern. he Mod works well, we went out for over 3 hours and had no issues. I don't know what it would be like with just me in the boat. I was going to try it but we were caught in a real downpour just as we got back to the dock.

I would say that fore and aft balance is pretty critical. The other guy being too far forward appeared to affect the stern by raising it. If the motor sits too high when I am alone, perhaps I can not inflate the stern tubes as much. The boat has the original floor.

I borrow an O/B from a friend while we were messing around doing repairs on his boat and I had mine there just to see how it would mount (i.e. sit too high or low and the weight etc...). Its a 3.5 hp, 15", after mounting it and just floating it, it seemed to sit just about perfect in the water. I also tried, just for the heck of it a 9.9 hp and it sat lower but that was because of the weight. I had the tubes inflated to the recommended inflation (using the guide/tape that comes with the boat). I think if you keep the battery all the way in the back next to the tube and if you sit back next to the battery it will be enough weight to lower the prop. He offered me the extra 5 hp he has in his garage at a VERY good price and it is tempting to get it and modify the mount and reinforce etc... Even when I run just my TM I make sure the majority of the weight in the boat is from mid-ship and towards the stern.

Brusac did a good write up on mount mods (as I now see he posted in reply to you :) ). I have seen on YouTube where people have used their modified wood flooring to add support to the arms of the mount (they ran them down to the wood and mounted the ends there).

Can you post a picture of the mod Bonaventure, I believe I know what you are saying/describing but I am a visual guy when trying to comprehend.