Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was researching modding a vertical plate to the transom to add a foot controlled trolling motor and came across this. Not foot controlled but still a cool option...

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
JC,

I worked on my idea for a built in dolly/wheels today. Had them mounted up and looking good....until I wheeled it out of the garage to the truck. Then they collapsed. LOL. I am working on a new brace for it than if that doesn't work I will finish on your design.

I'd like to see how your design was. Maybe we can help fix it

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought I was done posting about my Minn Kota warranty issue but this is too comical not to relay. They sent the outer handle 2 day air and the inner handle regular post, both without putting my street address on the shipping label. USPS notified me it's floating around and their's no way can match them up to me. I called Minn Kota but after 25 minutes of hold time gave up and sent them an email which typically takes 24 hours to get a response. Fore warned is fore armed they say, any newbies reading this thread, you've been warned.

On another note, I bought the Weedless Wedge prop for my C2-30, $14 delivered off ebay. It's the MKP-6. Minn Kota says it won't fit my motor but true to their form it fits perfectly. It's huge and feels very solid. The only down side is it extends slightly below the keel which means I'l have to be careful heading into shore but also I can't store the motor in it's original box for storage and transport. I'm wondering how everyone stores and transports their motor?

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been away from the house for a awhile and headed back tonight. I have another idea to possibly fix the issue, but I will post up pictures when I get back and work on it.

KingPhoenix

Seaman Apprentice
I thought I was done posting about my Minn Kota warranty issue but this is too comical not to relay. They sent the outer handle 2 day air and the inner handle regular post, both without putting my street address on the shipping label. USPS notified me it's floating around and their's no way can match them up to me. I called Minn Kota but after 25 minutes of hold time gave up and sent them an email which typically takes 24 hours to get a response. Fore warned is fore armed they say, any newbies reading this thread, you've been warned.

On another note, I bought the Weedless Wedge prop for my C2-30, $14 delivered off ebay. It's the MKP-6. Minn Kota says it won't fit my motor but true to their form it fits perfectly. It's huge and feels very solid. The only down side is it extends slightly below the keel which means I'l have to be careful heading into shore but also I can't store the motor in it's original box for storage and transport. I'm wondering how everyone stores and transports their motor?

Sorry to hear about your manuf problems, thats ridiculous. i have a Prowler trolling motor, its Baa pro brand, i blew the speed control on the motor and they were very good with getting me a new part. They were even able to ship it to a local canadian store for pick up to save me the $40 USD shipping. BONUS the guy at the store called me when it was in and he lived not far from me and ended up bringing it by my house after work!!

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry to hear about your manuf problems, thats ridiculous. i have a Prowler trolling motor, its Baa pro brand, i blew the speed control on the motor and they were very good with getting me a new part. They were even able to ship it to a local canadian store for pick up to save me the $40 USD shipping. BONUS the guy at the store called me when it was in and he lived not far from me and ended up bringing it by my house after work!!
You mean Bass Pro? Damn, that's good customer service. Minn Kota now says the outer handle assembly is out of stock. They'll ship it when it comes in. I don't think I could have made up a more horrendously poor customer service story than this. It's only funny because I can still use the motor...

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Worked on it today. I tweaked the setup/mount etc... and it holds the weight perfect BUT I forgot this boat flexes. If I lift the boat from the bow it has enough flex/bend that it will still drag. If I was to get under it and lift from the middle it would work. So I guess I will have to go with your design because it has the support going down the middle.

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Stark,

Sorry about your continuing Kota woes, but good to hear you bought the weedless wedge, I think you'll see a difference, if it doesn't fly off and you have to call customer service that is.

As regards storage of the motor, I never used the original box for transport from day one. I basically just wrap the power cable around the hinge unit and just pile it in on top of all the other gear, placing the handle downwards into said gear to stop it moving about during transport. That box takes up way too much space.

My recent news is my second Mariner 4 is somehow taking on water after around just 10 uses and I have no idea why. I can find no floor punctures or seam problems as of yet. I suspect I will have to wait for the issue to worsen before it shows itself. The water is irritating but manageable for now.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Stark,

Sorry about your continuing Kota woes, but good to hear you bought the weedless wedge, I think you'll see a difference, if it doesn't fly off and you have to call customer service that is.

As regards storage of the motor, I never used the original box for transport from day one. I basically just wrap the power cable around the hinge unit and just pile it in on top of all the other gear, placing the handle downwards into said gear to stop it moving about during transport. That box takes up way too much space.

My recent news is my second Mariner 4 is somehow taking on water after around just 10 uses and I have no idea why. I can find no floor punctures or seam problems as of yet. I suspect I will have to wait for the issue to worsen before it shows itself. The water is irritating but manageable for now.

Hey Scottish-

Suggest for you which may not have read about regarding hard to locate floor leaks. Get a partner, a flashlight and goo outside after dark. tip the boat upside down and crawl under while your partner stand over the boat looking at the bottom. Shine your very bright light all over the floor while you partner looks for any holes where the light shines through. Check the seams carefully. I read it finds those otherwise undetectable leaks. I too am getting about cup or two every 2 hours but haven't bothered with it yet since my sponge makes it a no issue.

Btw, Minn KJOta sent me two inner handle assembly's and no out one yet...

ringWraith

Recruit
Amazing thread! Thanks to Desode and all contributors. I bought a Mariner 4 last week and have read thru this complete thread twice. I am new to boating and the information here really helps.

1) I got my Mariner 4 registered today. Went to TPWD office ( I live in Houston, Tx) with the Amazon invoice and the certificate of origin take out of Intex website. Helpful staff there. Took just 20mins and they issued my registration number!!! No questions asked on First Assignment section not filled!!!

2) will make a 2 part floor. Did not find marine grade plywood near to where I stay. Will go with 15/32" plywood. Treating it with thompsons resin filler. Indoor/outside carpet and pipe insulation

Target is to be on water in next 2 weeks

Thanks everyone

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Scottish-

Suggest for you which may not have read about regarding hard to locate floor leaks. Get a partner, a flashlight and goo outside after dark. tip the boat upside down and crawl under while your partner stand over the boat looking at the bottom. Shine your very bright light all over the floor while you partner looks for any holes where the light shines through. Check the seams carefully. I read it finds those otherwise undetectable leaks. I too am getting about cup or two every 2 hours but haven't bothered with it yet since my sponge makes it a no issue.

Btw, Minn KJOta sent me two inner handle assembly's and no out one yet...

I'm laughing, because I'm pretty sure I posted the above almost word for word two years ago and how to locate seam disasters, it's how I found my last one. As I recall someone thought my head torch (head lamp) was something that shot flame and would be too hot for the boat floor lol.

One thing I would add which is very important though, your partner should push down hard on the upturned boat while you push the floor up hard from beneath in the same area to simulate the weight the floor takes while in use. It's the pressure this action creates that reveals the weak points and holes people might otherwise miss.

Well I found the new leak and it's where I thought it would be. While out in the boat I could hear a faint gurgling coming from the right back area and that's exactly where it was, two small holes where the seam has come away. Looking at it, it's definitely a manufacturing defect rather than something I've done. I'll fix it tomorrow like I did the last one, gum it up with flexi glue, let it dry, then slide a patch in covered in super glue which will attach to both sides of the seam to strengthen the area.

You Kota saga disturbs me because parts are even harder to come by over here.

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Amazing thread! Thanks to Desode and all contributors. I bought a Mariner 4 last week and have read thru this complete thread twice. I am new to boating and the information here really helps.

1) I got my Mariner 4 registered today. Went to TPWD office ( I live in Houston, Tx) with the Amazon invoice and the certificate of origin take out of Intex website. Helpful staff there. Took just 20mins and they issued my registration number!!! No questions asked on First Assignment section not filled!!!

2) will make a 2 part floor. Did not find marine grade plywood near to where I stay. Will go with 15/32" plywood. Treating it with thompsons resin filler. Indoor/outside carpet and pipe insulation

Target is to be on water in next 2 weeks

Thanks everyone

Welcome,

I am glad you got it registered with no problems. I had to argue a few points and make a second trip but it was mainly a) they have never dealt with an inflatable and b) new office staff and needed to be educated on code :).

You will be happy with that 2 piece floor! I tried it with just the OEM slats, then my two piece floor on top of the slats (all of them) then I went with two piece and four slats (one in the bow, one in the stern and two midship so that the wood would rest on them). I am very happy with the wood floor and 4 slats and will keep it that way.

There are tons of mods to do on these boats. Have fun and enjoy! Ask any questions here, these guys are awesome.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm laughing, because I'm pretty sure I posted the above almost word for word two years ago and how to locate seam disasters, it's how I found my last one. As I recall someone thought my head torch (head lamp) was something that shot flame and would be too hot for the boat floor lol.

One thing I would add which is very important though, your partner should push down hard on the upturned boat while you push the floor up hard from beneath in the same area to simulate the weight the floor takes while in use. It's the pressure this action creates that reveals the weak points and holes people might otherwise miss.

Well I found the new leak and it's where I thought it would be. While out in the boat I could hear a faint gurgling coming from the right back area and that's exactly where it was, two small holes where the seam has come away. Looking at it, it's definitely a manufacturing defect rather than something I've done. I'll fix it tomorrow like I did the last one, gum it up with flexi glue, let it dry, then slide a patch in covered in super glue which will attach to both sides of the seam to strengthen the area.

You Kota saga disturbs me because parts are even harder to come by over here.

I suspected you may have come up with that idea as I wrote it. Btw, I had a seperation in the rear where the side tubes start to narrow. Pretty much pin holes as the material was fatiguing. Marine Goop inside and out after prepping the area and many trips later it's held up well. It stays pliable too. On flat areas I use patches.

I received the outer handle today. Looking at it I don't see a difference to the once I have but I'll to a side by side comparison soon. I don't want to go to the trouble of opening the motor up to replace the inner handle unless I have to.

I watch an English car show called Wheeler Dealers. Funny how they have different terms for things. What American's call a car 1/4 panel or fender, they call a wing. A hood vs. a bonnet. I've heard torch vs. flashlight before. And you guys drive on the wrong side of the road :)

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I suspected you may have come up with that idea as I wrote it. Btw, I had a seperation in the rear where the side tubes start to narrow. Pretty much pin holes as the material was fatiguing. Marine Goop inside and out after prepping the area and many trips later it's held up well. It stays pliable too. On flat areas I use patches.

I received the outer handle today. Looking at it I don't see a difference to the once I have but I'll to a side by side comparison soon. I don't want to go to the trouble of opening the motor up to replace the inner handle unless I have to.

I watch an English car show called Wheeler Dealers. Funny how they have different terms for things. What American's call a car 1/4 panel or fender, they call a wing. A hood vs. a bonnet. I've heard torch vs. flashlight before. And you guys drive on the wrong side of the road :)

Pretty sure I saw some YouTube vids on how to replace various parts on the engines a while back.

It's true we drive on the 'wrong' side of the road, but it's better than the Russians who appear to drive on whatever side takes their fancy on any given day. Have you seen those crash compilation videos? Insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-91fbPxrTo

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pretty sure I saw some YouTube vids on how to replace various parts on the engines a while back.

It's true we drive on the 'wrong' side of the road, but it's better than the Russians who appear to drive on whatever side takes their fancy on any given day. Have you seen those crash compilation videos? Insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-91fbPxrTo

That's funny!

I installed the outer handle and it doesn't come off with normal pressure. I don't see a difference but suspect the indentations the ball bearing rests in might become worn. Not sure. I'm hitting the water on Saturday so will give it a full test out. I decided to grease the outer handle shaft originally and the handle pulled off immediately after so I highly recommend not to grease it.

ringWraith

Recruit
Dolly for the Mariner 4.

1) 5/8" threaded rod for axle
2) 1 1/4" and 1" schedule 40 PVC pipe
3) 10" pneumatic tyres from Harbor Freight $5.99

Now to work on the floor.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 15

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Looks like this thread still going with new users coming in! Nice dolly plans! Stark sorry to hear bout your motor problems. Anybody got a boat cover to use with the mariner? Recently picked up a jetski trailer for the mariner since I got sick of setting it up and breaking it down all the time. Would like to have cover for it while I'm trailing it. Thanks

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys, I decided to make a trailer for my sea eagle foldcat, however, this could be very easily rearranged and modified to work on a mariner. It's the harbor freight mini trailer, I used 2x2 square tubing to extend the tounge, and 1x6 for bunks. Extended the wiring and you're done! All in around $225

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That's funny!

I installed the outer handle and it doesn't come off with normal pressure. I don't see a difference but suspect the indentations the ball bearing rests in might become worn. Not sure. I'm hitting the water on Saturday so will give it a full test out. I decided to grease the outer handle shaft originally and the handle pulled off immediately after so I highly recommend not to grease it.

I still have the spring but not the ball bearing. Next week I will look into finding a bearing that fits, place it over the spring and trial various methods to hold said bearing in place, like a thing strip of duct tape. Will let you know how I get on.

You tried the Weedless wedge yet? Notice more thrust?

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looks like this thread still going with new users coming in! Nice dolly plans! Stark sorry to hear bout your motor problems. Anybody got a boat cover to use with the mariner? Recently picked up a jetski trailer for the mariner since I got sick of setting it up and breaking it down all the time. Would like to have cover for it while I'm trailing it. Thanks

Yeah try breaking it down while a million midges try to eat you alive, that gets old real fast.

I don't have a boat cover, but this looks like it'll do the job.

http://www.amazon.com/Komo-Inflatab...64411020&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=dinghy+cover

An even cheaper solution might be to buy a small car cover, they're waterproof, they come with straps, so probably a small one might do the job? If it's too big just use bungee cords and keep wrapping until it's tight. This one might work.

http://www.amazon.com/Budge-Cover-S...&sr=1-49-spons&keywords=small+car+cover&psc=1