Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Better explanation of how I made the dolly:

https://youtu.be/Rv0M1frmhDg

Good Job JC!
It is funny, I think we are on the same wave length because yesterday I was thinking of designing a dolly and this am I am out in the garage working on it and a lift to hang the boat up in the garage so I can keep it inflated and out of the way. I just logged on here and saw this.... hmmm great minds think a like??? lol,ok you have the great mind I just tinker lol.

I want to design mine to be able to hold the complete weight (i.e. boat, floor, battery, motor, gear etc...) so that I can wheel it all from my truck to the ramp and launch quickly. The ramps are getting crowded and I want to be in and gone as fast as possible. It looks like your design will work good for you! I really like how it breaks down for easy storage.

Quick question, I watched your video, you mentioned running the threaded rod through a one inch pvc, did you put caps (with holes drilled in them) on the pipe to keep the rod in place or is it just laying inside the pipe? Also, do you think the boat will ride ok on it without strapping it on? I think the weight will hold it in place but just curious (the less strapping means less time for me lol).

Great job. Really like it.

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
IN Mariner4,
The only end caps I used were on the 1.25" PVC, not the 1". Below is what the axel looks like minus the end caps.
Also, I don't think you'll need straps. The weight will hold our boats in place between the bunkers. I'm able to hold a few things without putting to much stress on the dolly.

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, that makes sense. I am taking a break and getting ready to run the wife to Goodwill to donate a lot of clothes and stuff. Then I am going to see about getting PVC etc...

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Vinny: I have an M4 and am one of the earlier posters here, after starting with a Sevylor HF360. I also own a Minn Kota 55 and just bought a Minn Kota 50. Add to that, I was born in Montreal and lived there until I was about 25, at the north end of Montreal North. The St. Lawrence river is very strong and quite wide. I would not go out in it with even a 55 lb thrust electric motor. That motor will move you at a decent clip but nothing like the river. Maybe if you stay in a somewhat sheltered little bay or something but to me that's just way too risky. My advice: Don't do it. As to the 55 vs. the 50: both will move you along very nicely but the difference in price there just isn't worth it - not nearly. Have a look on Amazon.com and you'll see the prices are much more comparable in U.S. dollars. For some reason the difference in price in Canada is way over inflated. No question in my mind: for the extra 5 lb thrust, don't pay anywhere near $100.00 extra.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Having been rescued by the Coast Guard while windsurfing a mile out in the San Francisco bay after breaking down, +1 to what CopperFox said. Analyse the body of water and weather conditions before every trip. Multiple your caution rating by 10 if you have a child along. Current, wind (either at launch time or potential), beaching possibilities if you break down. Can I really row 2 miles in chop against that wind to get back to the launch? If I have to beach the boat and walk back to the car, can I get my stuff out?

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Having been rescued by the Coast Guard while windsurfing a mile out in the San Francisco bay after breaking down, +1 to what CopperFox said. Analyse the body of water and weather conditions before every trip. Multiple your caution rating by 10 if you have a child along. Current, wind (either at launch time or potential), beaching possibilities if you break down. Can I really row 2 miles in chop against that wind to get back to the launch? If I have to beach the boat and walk back to the car, can I get my stuff out?

Great Advice especially the x10 with a child aboard. I do the x10 even with the wife aboard (she's a great swimmer etc... but.....) now by myself I take precautions but also sometimes take minor chances. I would never hear the end of it if the USCG had to rescue me, my Dad is a retired USCG Senior Chief and me being retired USMC I hear enough but if that happened....oh nooooooooooo.

How about a 3 hp gas outboard? Just curious if that would do any good for him on that river?

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
JC,

Never got the PVC today, ended up donating all of that stuff and helping them do some repairs in the back of the Goodwill store while the wife watched and drank coffee lol. Then we had to get home because our house alarm was going off (dumb dogs somehow set it off), so I will go tomorrow to get the stuff and try out your idea.

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Greetings all, this will be my first post here.

So i discovered this thread/Forum a few days ago while researching the Mariner 4. Outstanding resource. This thread is easily what convinced me to order one of these. I am currently on page 38 and thoroughly enjoy seeing what can be done with these inflatables. Ordered from Amazon.CA as they have best price here in Canada as far as i can find. Problem is that they have none in stock and they say i should be receiving it by June 2-14, Bummer. So now I'm looking at Minn Kota motors.

My first question is having never owned a motorized Boat of any type, am i going to be ok with a 50 or 55# Minn Kota in the St Lawrence river (hopefully that river is well enough known that you guys can answer that question lol. It surrounds Montreal and has to be one of the biggest in the world) I mean I'm not gonna be going out in any type of bad weather but anything can happen while I'm already out i guess. This is not a deal breaker as Quebec has thousands of lakes of all sizes so lots of options.

2. Looking at motors, what do you guys think about these options. Minn Kota 50# Endura C2 for 240CAD$ or Endura Max 55# for 360$CAD (Yes our dollar sux right now lol) The price difference almost pays for a battery so I'm leaning towards the Endura C2 50#, but is the Max 55# worth the extra 120$ +tax(15%).

Thanks all, Keep up the good work. Along with being an avid angler and hunter, i also love woodworking and got lots of great ideas for this inflatable :)

PS. Just checked with my buddy Google and St Lawrence is 16 largest river in the world in terms of Mean annual flow ;)

Hi Vinny,

The engines.

I can only relate what I have experienced myself with my Minn Kota 45 Endura Max and compared it to my friend running his Diawa 55lb thrust without the 'Max technology' during the same fishing trips. Minn Kota claim the 'Max tech' can extend battery life up to 5 times over conventional engines running off similar batteries.

Well I can state they are talking nonsense. In fact I would be surprised if 'Max tech' gives you double let alone five times more power draw. If anyone else out there owns a Minn Kota with 'Max tech' and feels differently, I'd like to hear from them as it might point to my owning a naff unit.

However I suspect it's more likely down to Minn Kota talking fluff to get us to spend an extra hundred quid.

All that Max tech crap aside, I've found the most important issue related to extending your battery is to never run the engine at 100%. My trolling speed on my 45lb thrust is 50% in reasonably calm conditions. If it gets windy I have to go higher which is why I only fish knowing there will be calm weather. These engines are not designed to deal with strong winds.

Rivers.

Now you mention your likely haunt will be a river, which means moving water. I'm sure there's an equation someone can draw up, but moving water will have the same effect on your boat as wind in calm water and you'll have to expend a lot of energy to counter it.

For this reason I would have real reservations about going on a river period. These engines are really for still waters only. If something goes wrong on a river, the situation is ten times worse than on a loch or reservoir, I mean what're you going to run into on the way downriver without power? And eventually something will go wrong.

If the river is to be your chosen haunt, you need not only a more powerful fuel driven engine, you need a proper boat, not a Mariner 4. Stick to still waters.

In short you want as much lb thrust as possible, because extending battery life means nothing if the engine's too weak to get you where you're going.

I fish Scottish lochs surrounded by hills, so I plan based on wind direction knowing I can find enough calm water somewhere regardless.

Always take a minimum of two batteries stored front and back. And before you go on the water, set the boat up on land and practice switching batteries until you can do it without the engine being without power for more than 20 seconds. If you're taking a regular partner out on the boat, have them practice with you.

I've found sliding the batteries along the floor either side of my chair to be the quickest and safest way. Don't lift them above the height of the boat's side as you or your fellow passenger could drop them with catastrophic results.

Hope this helps.

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
:) l, The tent pole was meant to reference the same concept (but I left that part out :-(). I really like your bucket idea and think today I will make it while out in the garage waiting on the rain to stop. Yes I am a pirate hunting treasure under water ( I used to just do it on land but the last couple of years have used my scuba skills to take it to the water) and I am just looking for a more "secure" way of anchoring and not worrying if the boat will be in the same area when I surface and 2 miles down stream :-( . I know the ultimate solution is to either tie off on shore (but at times that could be a good distance from dive spot) or have someone in the boat all the time (which to be honest is a good idea and really shouldn't dive alone (safety), but at times the wife or friend isn't available so I risk it for a quick dive or two).

If I do decide to go with the "stick" anchor, I like the idea of one that either collapses (like my tent pole idea BUT stronger) or can be put together instead of a long pole. Ultimately, a single long pole would be the strongest (if proper diameter/material is utilized lol) but my main concern is transporting it on the boat (over hang, getting caught on things etc...) and yes a metal tip would be required for the mud etc.. and as a plus a defensive weapon to fight off other pirates :).

OFF TOPIC: I would love to come to Scotland for a visit and to detect/treasure hunt, what is your country's laws on Pirates entering your ports LOL :), some of my relatives have visited our relatives over there and said it is beautiful! In all of my travels in the USMC I never made it there, so it is on my list!

Scotland is like someone took all of Canada and condensed it into one tiny area, our mountains are smaller but they still claim lots of folks because they assume they're not big enough to kill.

I was out last week in the boat and experienced rain, hail and snow with a tiny bit of sunshine, all at the end of April. Joy.

As regards treasure hunting and diving, I have a friend who used to scuba dive the Scottish lochs looking for stuff and he said the stuff he did find was remarkably well preserved.

However I believe the law states if you find any real treasure like Roman coins etc, it goes to the government and you get a cut from the auction.

Do you use one of those fancy underwater metal detectors?

:)

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great Advice especially the x10 with a child aboard. I do the x10 even with the wife aboard (she's a great swimmer etc... but.....) now by myself I take precautions but also sometimes take minor chances. I would never hear the end of it if the USCG had to rescue me, my Dad is a retired USCG Senior Chief and me being retired USMC I hear enough but if that happened....oh nooooooooooo.

How about a 3 hp gas outboard? Just curious if that would do any good for him on that river?

I'll add more consideration. In windsurfing, the general rule is never sail further away form shore than you are prepared to swim. The M-4 is an inflatable boat. It may have five chambers but if one of them goes completely out, the boat floods, the motor stops working...you're may be very likely be swimming or trying to paddle a flooded mess. If the water's cold, you're in trouble.

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is how my M4 is currently setup. Its a little cramp with having the bucket and tackle bag in the middle but until I find a better way to mount the fish finder, this will do.

https://youtu.be/bdC4iSJ7t8E

I've been there with everything in the boat and nowhere to move. I found these mods made a big difference, especially if there's 2 on the boat fishing.

This customised transom with bolt on arms gets your roads out the boat. You can also fix your own sonar there with a little tweaking.

01-CUSTOM TRANSOM.jpg

And this bow board can take 2 more road holders plus storage crates.

02-BOWBOARD.jpg
03-BOAT.jpg
04-BOAT.jpg

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Scotland is like someone took all of Canada and condensed it into one tiny area, our mountains are smaller but they still claim lots of folks because they assume they're not big enough to kill.

I was out last week in the boat and experienced rain, hail and snow with a tiny bit of sunshine, all at the end of April. Joy.

As regards treasure hunting and diving, I have a friend who used to scuba dive the Scottish lochs looking for stuff and he said the stuff he did find was remarkably well preserved.

However I believe the law states if you find any real treasure like Roman coins etc, it goes to the government and you get a cut from the auction.

Do you use one of those fancy underwater metal detectors?

I would love to dive there! Except for the monsters in the Loch :). A lot of places and countries try to take their cut in any big finds. To be completely honest I do it for the fun and history of it. I do not do it for the money, but having said that a few dollars here and there is nice to help pay for the expenses. I do the majority of my hunting on land and only about 30% or so in the water. I do have an underwater detector (I received it from a guy that bought it and 3 months later decided to stop using it, so I traded some of my old scuba gear and did some work on his truck for it, or there is no way I could've afforded a new one $7,500 or so). I also have a couple of land ones too. But like I said, I do it for a) the fun b) history of it and to share the history with others (I can go on for days on this subject :) and C) the exercise and it gets me outside.

Question about running your boat in the lochs. Is there any currents at all? If so how does your TM hold up. I hit the river last time and with the Minn Kota Endura Max 55 it held its own and did good, granted it was minimum current and I stayed out of the rapids. I have found yet another place I want to detect but like the other place I mentioned it is accessible only by river then creek, BUT this river has a decent current and do not trust the 55 on it. I am thinking of finding a used 3 hp for that trip (it will take hours to get to it). How well do you think a 3 hp will do on small to medium currents. I do know that some people use their Jon Boats on it with 10hp and no problems and I think I have seen a few 5 hps.

BTW Its raining, sleeting and windy today so no quick runs today!

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok Scottish you have my attention now! How did you mount that bow board to the tubes? I think that is exactly what I need to store my detecting gear or fishing etc... on in milk crates etc...

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been there with everything in the boat and nowhere to move. I found these mods made a big difference, especially if there's 2 on the boat fishing.

This customised transom with bolt on arms gets your roads out the boat. You can also fix your own sonar there with a little tweaking.

And this bow board can take 2 more road holders plus storage crates.

That is good looking! I bet it takes a good 45 minutes to prep before launching or do you trailer it?

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would love to dive there! Except for the monsters in the Loch :). A lot of places and countries try to take their cut in any big finds. To be completely honest I do it for the fun and history of it. I do not do it for the money, but having said that a few dollars here and there is nice to help pay for the expenses. I do the majority of my hunting on land and only about 30% or so in the water. I do have an underwater detector (I received it from a guy that bought it and 3 months later decided to stop using it, so I traded some of my old scuba gear and did some work on his truck for it, or there is no way I could've afforded a new one $7,500 or so). I also have a couple of land ones too. But like I said, I do it for a) the fun b) history of it and to share the history with others (I can go on for days on this subject :) and C) the exercise and it gets me outside.

Question about running your boat in the lochs. Is there any currents at all? If so how does your TM hold up. I hit the river last time and with the Minn Kota Endura Max 55 it held its own and did good, granted it was minimum current and I stayed out of the rapids. I have found yet another place I want to detect but like the other place I mentioned it is accessible only by river then creek, BUT this river has a decent current and do not trust the 55 on it. I am thinking of finding a used 3 hp for that trip (it will take hours to get to it). How well do you think a 3 hp will do on small to medium currents. I do know that some people use their Jon Boats on it with 10hp and no problems and I think I have seen a few 5 hps.

BTW Its raining, sleeting and windy today so no quick runs today!

No currents of note in the lochs, but the wind is what I class as an air current as it has the same effect.

The main loch I've been fishing recently is Loch Ard and it has three small islands off shore that used to house an old castle which is now gone. When I sail past I swear my sonar picks up what must be the actual stone work that used to stand there hundreds of years ago, but now lies crumpled forty feet down.

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok Scottish you have my attention now! How did you mount that bow board to the tubes? I think that is exactly what I need to store my detecting gear or fishing etc... on in milk crates etc...

If you look closely you can see one of the thin, red bungee cords leading from the back of the bow board to one of the boat's little hoops. I also have a piece of wood that runs under the hinge side to side to keep it flat and in position. I've used this in some choppy weather and it holds up well.

Pretty sure I posted photos and measurements on here on how to build it along with the custom transom mount. Think it's way back in the page 80's or 90's.

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That is good looking! I bet it takes a good 45 minutes to prep before launching or do you trailer it?

It takes 45 mins to an hour as everything is set up from the car, including inflating the boat. But all the mods are designed to stay together as much as possible, such as the transom board which always keeps its arms and bolts on and folds flat for the next trip.

The bow board has a hinge down the middle so folds over flat and is packed with the floor sections between front and back car seats. Even my rods are ready to go to minimize setup time.

I have a system for setting up and packing away, so much so I do it myself even if I have a friend along as he just gets in the way.

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The main loch I've been fishing recently is Loch Ard and it has three small islands off shore that used to house an old castle which is now gone. When I sail past I swear my sonar picks up what must be the actual stone work that used to stand there hundreds of years ago, but now lies crumpled forty feet down.

This is a prime example of why I want to hunt there :) .

I do remember your build on the Bow board now. I will go back and look at it again. Thanks for the information!

Vinny1980

Recruit
Thanks for the replies Copperfox, Starkonian and Scottishscript. If your goal was to thoroughly scare me to death you have succeeded lol. Very good advice. I figured even if i couldn't go out on the St. Lawrence it would not be a big deal as Quebec has a ton of lakes within a 2 hour drive of my home. Many an hour or less. But the problem I'm quickly learning of is the majority of these lakes are either off limits to non residents of the local municipality, Or there is a fee for access to these lakes that are so high as to discourage people from visiting. (one place charges 150$ Per Day for access.) some places are more reasonable at a couple dozen dollars for the year. I need to research more lakes/places though i don't know if they count inflatables as boats.

As for the 2 electric motors i mentioned, the 50#er was the regular endura c2, at 240$, the 55# was Endura Max version. So 5# more thrust and digital maximizer for 100$ more.(Not sure if there are any other differences) I would Love a little 2 or 3 Hp motor ( My sister in law works at my local Honda in small engine department selling boat engines, motorcycles, atv etc etc. So i can most likely get a deal on their little 2.3 Only problem is....... we are not really on speaking terms at the moment lol. But that's a whole different story.

I usually go shore Fishing on the big river as it surrounds my island, I've never been lake fishing in a boat before and all your advice is much appreciated.

Copperfox, Don't know if you are familiar with all the islands east of Ile Charron (Boucherville). Shore fish from there all the time and there are lots of kayakers . Some good places there where i am sure i can take the M4.

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the replies Copperfox, Starkonian and Scottishscript. If your goal was to thoroughly scare me to death you have succeeded lol. Very good advice. I figured even if i couldn't go out on the St. Lawrence it would not be a big deal as Quebec has a ton of lakes within a 2 hour drive of my home. Many an hour or less. But the problem I'm quickly learning of is the majority of these lakes are either off limits to non residents of the local municipality, Or there is a fee for access to these lakes that are so high as to discourage people from visiting. (one place charges 150$ Per Day for access.) some places are more reasonable at a couple dozen dollars for the year. I need to research more lakes/places though i don't know if they count inflatables as boats.

As for the 2 electric motors i mentioned, the 50#er was the regular endura c2, at 240$, the 55# was Endura Max version. So 5# more thrust and digital maximizer for 100$ more.(Not sure if there are any other differences) I would Love a little 2 or 3 Hp motor ( My sister in law works at my local Honda in small engine department selling boat engines, motorcycles, atv etc etc. So i can most likely get a deal on their little 2.3 Only problem is....... we are not really on speaking terms at the moment lol. But that's a whole different story.

I usually go shore Fishing on the big river as it surrounds my island, I've never been lake fishing in a boat before and all your advice is much appreciated.

Copperfox, Don't know if you are familiar with all the islands east of Ile Charron (Boucherville). Shore fish from there all the time and there are lots of kayakers . Some good places there where i am sure i can take the M4.

Hi Vinny,

Sorry to hear about all the weird laws you have there to keep people off the water. My advice would be to make a list of all the fishing stores within 50 miles of your home and call each one to explain your predicament.

Explain that you don't require a launch ramp like regular boats - which often requires a fee - and can get on the water from a regular car park or layby. I'm pretty sure one of the stores will know of a still water lake you can drive up to and fish with minumum cost. Do this before you buy a petrol engine as I'm sure some lochs will only allow electric engines. Good luck.