Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you're anchoring in sand, you probably need something with a sharp edge that will dig into the sand. Something like this maybe

That looks like it fits the bill. I like the looks of it. I will have to check with the wife, she is an assistance manager at Walley World (Yeah I know, but pay is good and she loves working there, yes she is crazy, but is being recommended to become store manage and that means $$$ and more toys lol) and she can get discounts too.

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ya i use the grappling hook style of anchor only 3.5lbs, works great and very compact. Use about 1-2 feet of chain to help it grab the bottom properly.
Rig it something like this pic. That way if it gets really stuck the zap ties will break ad youll be able to pull it up from the bottom no problem.

That is an awesome idea! I would've never thought to rig it that way in case of getting stuck!

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have one of those collapsible claw anchors and to be honest I have never used it once. Having said that, if I want to sit in one spot to either fix gear or fish a spot, I sometimes throw a rope around a buoy in the loch I'm fishing and run out line from it. Fortunately a lot of bait fish will hang around buoy anchor lines to eat the stuff that grows on them, which in turn draws in predators.

I have read those mushroom shaped anchors are pretty good too.

Where I fish and dive no buoys but that is a good idea. I did tie off the front of the boat on a branch that hung way out over the river and used my anchor on the stern. this made is stable and climbing back into the boat easier when I was diving (that and a web ladder/step I made).

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The 1st Motor Guide I bought broke within 6 months. Under warranty fortunately. With my Minn Kota, if I'm not really careful, when I extend the throttle handle all the way out it pulls right off the motor. So, the big name companies are not perfect either. I probably would take the risk, after the proper research, unfortunately my budget is fixed for the foreseeable future so I'll keep trudging along with my Minn Kota 30.

Stark that's very interesting because I have that exact same problem with my 45 Minn Kota Endura Max, and that to me suggests a definite design flaw.

In fact when I was out last week, the tiller popped out AGAIN and this time a tiny spring and cap flew out, so it's even more loose than before. We share the same pain.

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Where I fish and dive no buoys but that is a good idea. I did tie off the front of the boat on a branch that hung way out over the river and used my anchor on the stern. this made is stable and climbing back into the boat easier when I was diving (that and a web ladder/step I made).

I'm sure you've seen this very expensive Minn Kota shallow water anchor system before - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTOi1duP5kg

Ever since I saw this thing, I've been pondering how to make a DIY equivalent using PVC plumbers piping set up to telescope downward while rigged to the transom, I bet it's worth a try if you fish in mostly shallow water.

In fact, even a straight twenty foot thin wooden pole could do it, which hangs along the length of the boat when not in use. Hmm...

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm sure you've seen this very expensive Minn Kota shallow water anchor system before - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTOi1duP5kg

Ever since I saw this thing, I've been pondering how to make a DIY equivalent using PVC plumbers piping set up to telescope downward while rigged to the transom, I bet it's worth a try if you fish in mostly shallow water.

In fact, even a straight twenty foot thin wooden pole could do it, which hangs along the length of the boat when not in use. Hmm...

Hi Scottish,

I have seen those, as a matter of fact the last time I was at the Bass Pro Shop I looked at those that were mounted on a boat.

I like your idea of making a PVC one. I might have to join you in brainstorming this idea. How about using a collapsible tent pole or similar? Or maybe two or three sections of 1/2" PVC pipe or conduit pipe, that are 5' or 6' long and pin or connect together. Or they are two different diameters and slide inside each other... this would be more compact than carrying a 20 foot pole. My brain is starting to work........

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Stark that's very interesting because I have that exact same problem with my 45 Minn Kota Endura Max, and that to me suggests a definite design flaw.

In fact when I was out last week, the tiller popped out AGAIN and this time a tiny spring and cap flew out, so it's even more loose than before. We share the same pain.

You know, mine's still under warranty. Maybe I'll contact thm and see how good their customer service is. Warranty or not, you might want to as well. They might recognise this as a design defect and address everyone's problem. I'm sure we're not the only one's.

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Scottish,

I have seen those, as a matter of fact the last time I was at the Bass Pro Shop I looked at those that were mounted on a boat.

I like your idea of making a PVC one. I might have to join you in brainstorming this idea. How about using a collapsible tent pole or similar? Or maybe two or three sections of 1/2" PVC pipe or conduit pipe, that are 5' or 6' long and pin or connect together. Or they are two different diameters and slide inside each other... this would be more compact than carrying a 20 foot pole. My brain is starting to work........

I know where you're coming from, but in all my years of backpacking I've never come across a sectioned tent pole with enough strength to hold a boat in position against wind and water flow. The moment you break something into pieces it's never going to be as strong as it was, regardless of how you reattach it.

One trick I've pulled is to use both my oars and ram them down into the river bank mud handle first, with the oar being between the boat and that black rope that runs around the edge. This is course requires having a squishy river bank, but it does the job.

You've mentioned that you go diving so I'm assuming you're trying to come up with a simple means to hold your boat in position on the surface while you go seeking pirate treasure right? If you don't trust standard anchors to keep the boat in position, perhaps a custom anchor might work.

Find a decent sized bucket that comes with a lid you can clip over the top. Drill holes in he bucket's side so that it will take on water when submerged. You attach two lengths of marine rope to the bucket. One is attached to the bottom of the bucket via a drilled hole and a knot on the inside to hold it in place. The second is attached to the removable clip on lid the same way. Before you set off, you fill the bucket with some rocks from the shoreline and clip on the lid.

Once you find a spot you like, you drop the bucket into the water and let it sink to the bottom rocks and all. This should weigh more than the average anchor and definitely hold the boat in position.

When you're finished, you pull the rope attached to the lid to remove it from the bucket, then pull the second rope to tip out the rocks before retrieving your bucket anchor. Only downside is having to find more rocks for the next spot. Might work. Has the advantage of being light when not in use and you can use it for storage when traveling too and from the water. And... if you're diving at the time, tip the rocks out yourself while down there and fill bucket with the 'treasure' you find.

As regards the 'stick anchor,' the stronger the better. If I had to go with sections, I'd go with a eighteen foot hard wood pole cut into six foot sections that connect using brass screw joints.

You basically store the sections on the floor of the boat and use whatever length you need. However the bottom end would likely require a metal tip for when you drive it down into mud or between rocks and shingle etc. This would also serve as a terrific defensive weapon should you find actual pirate treasure and they catch you in the act.

:)

ScottishScript

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You know, mine's still under warranty. Maybe I'll contact thm and see how good their customer service is. Warranty or not, you might want to as well. They might recognise this as a design defect and address everyone's problem. I'm sure we're not the only one's.

As I recall the warranty is for two years and I am six months past that. Consider yourself lucky though, it's a lot easier to get parts and service for Minn Kota there than it is over here.

I will do some Googling to see just how widespread this is. Maybe they'll fix mine regardless of warranty expiration, but I doubt it.

Vinny1980

Recruit
Greetings all, this will be my first post here.

So i discovered this thread/Forum a few days ago while researching the Mariner 4. Outstanding resource. This thread is easily what convinced me to order one of these. I am currently on page 38 and thoroughly enjoy seeing what can be done with these inflatables. Ordered from Amazon.CA as they have best price here in Canada as far as i can find. Problem is that they have none in stock and they say i should be receiving it by June 2-14, Bummer. So now I'm looking at Minn Kota motors.

My first question is having never owned a motorized Boat of any type, am i going to be ok with a 50 or 55# Minn Kota in the St Lawrence river (hopefully that river is well enough known that you guys can answer that question lol. It surrounds Montreal and has to be one of the biggest in the world) I mean I'm not gonna be going out in any type of bad weather but anything can happen while I'm already out i guess. This is not a deal breaker as Quebec has thousands of lakes of all sizes so lots of options.

2. Looking at motors, what do you guys think about these options. Minn Kota 50# Endura C2 for 240CAD$ or Endura Max 55# for 360$CAD (Yes our dollar sux right now lol) The price difference almost pays for a battery so I'm leaning towards the Endura C2 50#, but is the Max 55# worth the extra 120$ +tax(15%).

Thanks all, Keep up the good work. Along with being an avid angler and hunter, i also love woodworking and got lots of great ideas for this inflatable :)

PS. Just checked with my buddy Google and St Lawrence is 16 largest river in the world in terms of Mean annual flow ;)

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know where you're coming from, but in all my years of backpacking I've never come across a sectioned tent pole with enough strength to hold a boat in position against wind and water flow. The moment you break something into pieces it's never going to be as strong as it was, regardless of how you reattach it.

One trick I've pulled is to use both my oars and ram them down into the river bank mud handle first, with the oar being between the boat and that black rope that runs around the edge. This is course requires having a squishy river bank, but it does the job.

You've mentioned that you go diving so I'm assuming you're trying to come up with a simple means to hold your boat in position on the surface while you go seeking pirate treasure right? If you don't trust standard anchors to keep the boat in position, perhaps a custom anchor might work.

Find a decent sized bucket that comes with a lid you can clip over the top. Drill holes in he bucket's side so that it will take on water when submerged. You attach two lengths of marine rope to the bucket. One is attached to the bottom of the bucket via a drilled hole and a knot on the inside to hold it in place. The second is attached to the removable clip on lid the same way. Before you set off, you fill the bucket with some rocks from the shoreline and clip on the lid.

Once you find a spot you like, you drop the bucket into the water and let it sink to the bottom rocks and all. This should weigh more than the average anchor and definitely hold the boat in position.

When you're finished, you pull the rope attached to the lid to remove it from the bucket, then pull the second rope to tip out the rocks before retrieving your bucket anchor. Only downside is having to find more rocks for the next spot. Might work. Has the advantage of being light when not in use and you can use it for storage when traveling too and from the water. And... if you're diving at the time, tip the rocks out yourself while down there and fill bucket with the 'treasure' you find.

As regards the 'stick anchor,' the stronger the better. If I had to go with sections, I'd go with a eighteen foot hard wood pole cut into six foot sections that connect using brass screw joints.

You basically store the sections on the floor of the boat and use whatever length you need. However the bottom end would likely require a metal tip for when you drive it down into mud or between rocks and shingle etc. This would also serve as a terrific defensive weapon should you find actual pirate treasure and they catch you in the act.

:)

:) l, The tent pole was meant to reference the same concept (but I left that part out :-(). I really like your bucket idea and think today I will make it while out in the garage waiting on the rain to stop. Yes I am a pirate hunting treasure under water ( I used to just do it on land but the last couple of years have used my scuba skills to take it to the water) and I am just looking for a more "secure" way of anchoring and not worrying if the boat will be in the same area when I surface and 2 miles down stream :-( . I know the ultimate solution is to either tie off on shore (but at times that could be a good distance from dive spot) or have someone in the boat all the time (which to be honest is a good idea and really shouldn't dive alone (safety), but at times the wife or friend isn't available so I risk it for a quick dive or two).

If I do decide to go with the "stick" anchor, I like the idea of one that either collapses (like my tent pole idea BUT stronger) or can be put together instead of a long pole. Ultimately, a single long pole would be the strongest (if proper diameter/material is utilized lol) but my main concern is transporting it on the boat (over hang, getting caught on things etc...) and yes a metal tip would be required for the mud etc.. and as a plus a defensive weapon to fight off other pirates :).

OFF TOPIC: I would love to come to Scotland for a visit and to detect/treasure hunt, what is your country's laws on Pirates entering your ports LOL :), some of my relatives have visited our relatives over there and said it is beautiful! In all of my travels in the USMC I never made it there, so it is on my list!

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is how my M4 is currently setup. Its a little cramp with having the bucket and tackle bag in the middle but until I find a better way to mount the fish finder, this will do.

https://youtu.be/bdC4iSJ7t8E

Hi JC,
I like your set up! I used "camp chairs" (folding) on our trial/maiden voyage but am going to mount the swivel seats this week (if the part shows up on Monday like its supposed to!!!!). I do have an off the wall question since I saw it in your video. How do you have the state registration sticker stuck on the tubes? I used the clear repair patches that came with the boat on mine, but one is starting to come off. I am thinking of gluing it on but not sure which glue to use. I talked with a DNR officer when I was out on the water last time (he pulled up on me while I was fishing and was very interested in the boat and is thinking of getting one for him and his wife, and no he did not ask for papers or license, very nice guy) and I asked him about mounting the stickers on a removable plate. He said he would allow it but technically it has to be fixed and not removable and that others might cite me if it isn't. So I am thinking of just gluing it.

Nice setup JC!

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Greetings all, this will be my first post here.

So i discovered this thread/Forum a few days ago while researching the Mariner 4. Outstanding resource. This thread is easily what convinced me to order one of these. I am currently on page 38 and thoroughly enjoy seeing what can be done with these inflatables. Ordered from Amazon.CA as they have best price here in Canada as far as i can find. Problem is that they have none in stock and they say i should be receiving it by June 2-14, Bummer. So now I'm looking at Minn Kota motors.

My first question is having never owned a motorized Boat of any type, am i going to be ok with a 50 or 55# Minn Kota in the St Lawrence river (hopefully that river is well enough known that you guys can answer that question lol. It surrounds Montreal and has to be one of the biggest in the world) I mean I'm not gonna be going out in any type of bad weather but anything can happen while I'm already out i guess. This is not a deal breaker as Quebec has thousands of lakes of all sizes so lots of options.

2. Looking at motors, what do you guys think about these options. Minn Kota 50# Endura C2 for 240CAD$ or Endura Max 55# for 360$CAD (Yes our dollar sux right now lol) The price difference almost pays for a battery so I'm leaning towards the Endura C2 50#, but is the Max 55# worth the extra 120$ +tax(15%).

Thanks all, Keep up the good work. Along with being an avid angler and hunter, i also love woodworking and got lots of great ideas for this inflatable :)

PS. Just checked with my buddy Google and St Lawrence is 16 largest river in the world in terms of Mean annual flow ;)

Hi Vinny and welcome to a great forum and thread here. I am new to this boat and have learned a lot on here and there are some really good ideas and good people here!

I know its probably too late, and not sure if they ship to Canada, but I used Rubberboats to get mine before I found this site. Received mine in 4 days. As to motors I am using the Minn Kota Endura Max 55 and love it. I took it out in the Tippicanoe and Wabash rivers and it did good. Not sure the current flow in your rivers though. You will not win any speed contests with these motors but they will get you around, especially on lakes and low to medium currents. I went up by the dam (below it) and did ok against the current but it did struggle a little. I ran about 6 hours straight (about two hours on the 5 setting) on a single charge, so that made me very happy but am going to add a second battery for longer life and for when I am fight the current more. The Endura Max 55 has battery indicator lights on it showing battery state of charge which I like.

Ask any questions here, these guys on here are great. I am constantly getting good advice and ideas (pretty soon my boat will be looking like a super bass boat lol).

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
IN Mariner
The registration stickers are attached by their own adhesive which isn't strong enough. I'll have to go back and apply some glue to it. I'm waiting on an orderived of HH-66 glue. It supposed to be a strong bonding glue used on inflatable boats

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I googled HH-66 and it looks like it will work. The way I had my stickers on held good until deflating/folding (one stayed on good the other came loose). So going out for our Sunday drive and will check Home Depot or others around here for it

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
I googled HH-66 and it looks like it will work. The way I had my stickers on held good until deflating/folding (one stayed on good the other came loose). So going out for our Sunday drive and will check Home Depot or others around here for it

Save yourself the drive and order through Amazon. I checked the major stores around me and they didn't carry it

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Save yourself the drive and order through Amazon. I checked the major stores around me and they didn't carry it

LoL you are right :) but the wife and I try to take a two hour drive every weekend just to get out of the house and "explore" lol. I am going to hit amazon in a few.

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
I finally got around to making my dolly for the M4. It's going to make transporting from my truck to the boat launch a lot easier. It's made from 1.25" and 1" PVC. And I used a 5/8" threaded rod for the axle.

Here it is broken down. The 1" PVC slides into the 1.25" PVC for extra support for the 5/8" threaded rod to slide into.

A picture of the dolly tongue. Again, I used the 1" PVC to slide into the 1.25" PVC. This serves as an extension. To store it, it just slides right inside of the other PVC.

All complete:

It does bow a little but not by much. I'm able to carry the floor boards I made, rear seat and pedestal, bucket, tackle bag, rods and motor mount. I'd still have to carry the front seat (when needed), trolling motor and marine battery.

Here you can see it broken down for storage. I didn't glue the uprights so the bunkers that support the boat itself can turn inwards to make for a compact store.