Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Jiggyjay

Seaman
hey guys, i decided today to do a little more modifications on my M4 over the long winter we have up here in Alberta. Today i measured out and cut 2 boards, one for the front, and one for the back. Im going to treat them with thompsons deck water sealer, and i have some left over red paint from the table in the middle, so I'm going to paint them the same red , i think it will come together quite nicely. I'm going to put 1/2 inch pipe insulation around the edges of the boards, as well I'm going to put the pipe insulation around the edges of the table in the middle so it will be a very nice and clean looking modification. ill keep you guys updated with my mods! cheers and tight lines everyone. FISH ON!

Nice work heff! looks like you upgraded your boat from the previous post you had the yellow mariner. Any difference with the yellow vs the newer model?

Jiggyjay

Seaman
I believe this is the video HeffD was referring too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U53gpRg1fCk

That setup is not going to work for jae since he's going to be inflating and deflating every time he uses the boat. Jae i have the same issue as you do and also have an outboard.. I have some ideas on how I'm going to mount them but haven't gotten to making them. One thing you can do though is use these Scotty Glue On mounts with scotty transducer mounts. You'll also need these scotty mounts to get the transducer arm on. Cool thing about this setup is if you dont end up needing to take your fish finder out on a trip you can also put on these scotty rod holders for an extra holder. Just wanted to add that I dont work for or are not associated with Scotty! lol they have great products for us inflatable boat owners!

Last edited:

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
I picked up a few necessities from a spring sale

Last edited by a moderator:

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
After a few hours, I finally got the M4 seats completed. I ended up securing the bolts through the floor using threaded inserts. After fitting the pedestal I realized I needed longer bolts. Probably should've gotten 1.5" instead on 1" bolts. Either way, I'm happy with the results.

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Nice work JC.. how much did the seats, mounts and swivel ended up costing you? I'm torn on doing seats. Would like to get some but I really don't mind sitting on the floor with a cusion and occasionally standing up or laying down across the boat. Seats would probably be really comfortable and will free up floor space but adds on setup and take down time.

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
Jiggyjay - the seats were on sale for $24.99 and the pedestals were the same price. The pedestals are adjustable which is cool. Swivel attachments were an additional $10.
I plan on keeping the bolts on the floor, so all I have to do when I set up is secure the pedestals with wing nuts.

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Very nice... That's how I had mine to keep the open floor space! And you got a fantastic deal on the seats !

HeffD

Cadet
Nice work heff! looks like you upgraded your boat from the previous post you had the yellow mariner. Any difference with the yellow vs the newer model?

hey jiggyjay, well my old M4 i had for 6 years and i completely mistreated it (over inflated, sat on the air chambers, stored it outside in my yard over winter) so i had a lot of holes in it, but when i stumbled across this thread last year i couldn't believe the modifications people were doing with the boat! so i immediately started modifying my old one, but i figured i might as well have a brand new one and start from square one again . I now have just a slow leak in my original M4, so I'm going to take it and hike it in and stash it at an alpine lake high in the mountains with MONSTER brook trout in it, it'll be my own trout heaven, no other boats are stored there!

Jiggyjay

Seaman
hey jiggyjay, well my old M4 i had for 6 years and i completely mistreated it (over inflated, sat on the air chambers, stored it outside in my yard over winter) so i had a lot of holes in it, but when i stumbled across this thread last year i couldn't believe the modifications people were doing with the boat! so i immediately started modifying my old one, but i figured i might as well have a brand new one and start from square one again . I now have just a slow leak in my original M4, so I'm going to take it and hike it in and stash it at an alpine lake high in the mountains with MONSTER brook trout in it, it'll be my own trout heaven, no other boats are stored there!

You bringing the slated floors too? That's going to be quite a hike with the floors. The boat by itself isn't too bad but with the floor brings the weight to like 90 #s!

We're finally hitting spring here! Getting some nice weather next few weeks can't wait to get my mariner out and do some fishing!

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We're finally hitting spring here! Getting some nice weather next few weeks can't wait to get my mariner out and do some fishing!

Yes, 80's last weekend. I found the hole in chamber #1. Easy peasy, half way down in the middle on the inside. Probably caught a hook there. I also soldered my extension wires running off my trolling motor finally. That bothered me as I only had them connected with marine wire fasteners. The bass start moving up shallow next month...can't wait.

Djchon661

Cadet
No Title

Really enjoying the M4! Got the motor mount and trolling motor and just living the dream!

Attachments

• photo238281.jpg
    photo238281.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 15

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Not an electrictian but would think just a simple switc would work as one stark.. Nice fish BTW! Anybody here own both the mariner 4 and 3? I'm looking at maybe getting the mariner 3 as well for easier setup when solo fishing which I do alot of.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not an electrictian but would think just a simple switc would work as one stark.. Nice fish BTW! Anybody here own both the mariner 4 and 3? I'm looking at maybe getting the mariner 3 as well for easier setup when solo fishing which I do alot of.

Thanks JIggy- Any ideas on to rig that up? The switch would have be rated for high trolling motor amps. It would also have to be able to be triggered by a line of some type. My concern is falling out and the boat cruising away before I could catch it.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I have this figured out. These kill switches are on e-bay for less than $10. This one's rated at 400 amps, it would have to be 50 amps. I'm going to mount it on my battery box and run the negative cable through it. I'll attach a line to the key and attach it to my PFD. If I fall out the line will pull the key out and the motor shuts off. Falling out under way is a real possibility and I don't want my boat cruising off into the sunset with me facing potentially a long swim to shore. I've been rescued by the coast guard after my wind surfing boom snapped a mile off shore. Way better to be safe than extremely sorry later. I highly recommend something like this particularly if you'l have a young child in the boat.

4c1161fe5f3b2f5635eeee87f25922f8_10611320-5.jpg

Last edited:

KingPhoenix

Seaman Apprentice
I think I have this figured out. These kill switches are on e-bay for less than $10. This one's rated at 400 amps, it would have to be 50 amps. I'm going to mount it on my battery box and run the negative cable through it. I'll attach a line to the key and attach it to my PFD. If I fall out the line will pull the key out and the motor shuts off. Falling out under way is a real possibility and I don't want my boat cruising off into the sunset with me facing potentially a long swim to shore. I've been rescued by the coast guard after my wind surfing boom snapped a mile off shore. Way better to be safe than extremely sorry later. I highly recommend something like this particularly if you'l have a young child in the boat.

Thats a pretty good idea, I dont think my boat goes fast enough to have to worry about falling out tho. I find once i get loaded up with the 4-5 rods, tackle box, wires, sonar things get pretty messy and I think i would be constantly getting caught on things.
After a close call I would want a switch for when i hook up the motor in the first place, if you dont check the handle first and its turned a bit the motor starts going out of the water and is pretty dangerous!