Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not gonna lie that motor mount looks awesome... I bet it would handle a 5hp nicely... Maybe more

The question is, how long will the hull last being pushed beyond it's design specs under power with a higher HP motor. The M4 is a low pressure craft unlike Zodiaks etc.

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Wow this thread has got active all of sudden! nice seeing it continuing and getting new owners in here..

Not gonna lie that motor mount looks awesome... I bet it would handle a 5hp nicely... Maybe more

Here is his setup with a 6hp.. Love that guys mount its nice and clean. Heres another guy setup which was actually inspired by Desode(OP of this thread) he was able to mount his zuki 2.5hp on a little intex seahawk 2. I actually started building a mount just like Desodes.. Bent some 3/4 conduit all i have to do is put it together with my 1 piece floor but just haven't had the time or motivation since its 10* where i'm at. The stock motor mount works ok with my zuki 2.5hp but can't really go past half throttle since the motor does pull the mount down from all the torque. I figured with the custom motor mount it will take the pressure off the hull and put it on the floor thus allowing more power. It will also help cut down my setup time since all i'll be doing is putting the floor with the mount already installed.

The question is, how long will the hull last being pushed beyond it's design specs under power with a higher HP motor. The M4 is a low pressure craft unlike Zodiaks etc.

I can still see this guys design to put a good amount of pressure on the hull but the mounts that are just attached to the floor probably will be better for the hull since the floor and the persons weight will be the on supporting the motor and its pressure. Check out this video w/ a 4hp and custom mount onto the floor as well.. Looks like the Mariner 4 is planing? not really sure though no expert on this topic...

Last edited:

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Took the M4 out this past weekend for some trout fishing and had a blast! Caught my first ever trout from a boat! No mods done but i was able to stand cast and even switch our positions around. I've never rowed a boat before but I got the hang of it pretty quickly.

I did notice that the valve for the keel oponed and the keel went flat. Any tips on keeping the keel from popping open?

Very nice wish i can fish in that weather! where you from if you dont mind me asking.. As far as the keel valve goes you can always push that thing down but its a b*&ch to get back up! Judging from those flat waters you really dont need the keel inflated when your boating on glass!

Djchon661

Cadet
Very nice wish i can fish in that weather! where you from if you dont mind me asking.. As far as the keel valve goes you can always push that thing down but its a b*&ch to get back up! Judging from those flat waters you really dont need the keel inflated when your boating on glass!

I'm in central California, 'bout an hour away from Los Angeles. The weather took a turn and I was rained out but it was relaxing and peaceful for most the morning.

I was able to row faster with the keel inflated so I guess I'll be trying to stuff the valve down or taping it down.

Can't wait till my next fishing outing.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm in central California, 'bout an hour away from Los Angeles. The weather took a turn and I was rained out but it was relaxing and peaceful for most the morning.

I was able to row faster with the keel inflated so I guess I'll be trying to stuff the valve down or taping it down.

Can't wait till my next fishing outing.

I'm up in the Bay area, east bay. Supposed to be mid 70's this Sunday. I'm thinking about getting my boat out to chase down a slow chamber #1 leak, get the new registration stickers on and start prepping it for spring. I had the best largemouth fishing of my life last spring. Can't wait.

If/when you install a floor, the valve won't pop open anymore.

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
I'm up in the Bay area, east bay. Supposed to be mid 70's this Sunday. I'm thinking about getting my boat out to chase down a slow chamber #1 leak, get the new registration stickers on and start prepping it for spring. I had the best largemouth fishing of my life last spring. Can't wait.

If/when you install a floor, the valve won't pop open anymore.

Where abouts in the east bay do you fish at? I'm in Stockton. I was thinking about hitting up Shawdow Cliffs once I get my M4 registered. It's supposed to be a good trout lake and fairly calm.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you only fish for trout? I was just next to Shadow Cliffs at a BMX track they have there. I haven't fished there but have talked to some who claim it has bass, particularly in some of the adjacent ponds. I think you can only launch the m4 at the main Shadow Cliff lake tho. It's a boring former strip mine lake but I think they do some trout plants throughout the year. I'd get on line and find out when they do and when others are hitting them. I usually go to Bethany which is closer to you.

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
Do you only fish for trout? I was just next to Shadow Cliffs at a BMX track they have there. I haven't fished there but have talked to some who claim it has bass, particularly in some of the adjacent ponds. I think you can only launch the m4 at the main Shadow Cliff lake tho. It's a boring former strip mine lake but I think they do some trout plants throughout the year. I'd get on line and find out when they do and when others are hitting them. I usually go to Bethany which is closer to you.

No, I try to fish multiple species. I live right behind the SJ river, so I have easy access to bank fish. I just wanted to try Shadow Cliffs because it seems like a good place to take my Mariner out for the first time (just waiting on time to get it registered). It's not that large of a lake and it's fairly calm. I'm not sure how often they stock trout but it's been known to have 5+ pounders out there. And yeah, they have bass too, I see a lot of kids catch them off the bank.

Are you speaking of Bethany in Tracy, near Mountain House? If so, i haven't been there in years. What are you able to catch around there?

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bethany has large mouth, gills, stripers and catfish. Reportedly it has crappies and small mouth but I've never seen any. Word of caution, Bethany is windy spring through fall. Every day. All those windmills aren't there by coincidence :) There are two launches, both up wind. It would be difficult if not dangerous to fish without a motor and even with a trolling motor it takes planning and constant situational awareness to stay safe and make it back to the launch. But, I've never gone and not been able to launch tho have had to sit a while on a couple occasions waiting for the wind to lull off. You might want to contact me before you go and I'll give you some tips on what I've learned.

I don't think you'd have any issues at Shadow Cliffs. It's small and I suspect not too risky most days. I highly recommend a wind sock for the M4. I posted a link for the one I bought some pages back.

Last edited:

HeffD

Cadet
No Title

hey guys, i decided today to do a little more modifications on my M4 over the long winter we have up here in Alberta. Today i measured out and cut 2 boards, one for the front, and one for the back. Im going to treat them with thompsons deck water sealer, and i have some left over red paint from the table in the middle, so I'm going to paint them the same red , i think it will come together quite nicely. I'm going to put 1/2 inch pipe insulation around the edges of the boards, as well I'm going to put the pipe insulation around the edges of the table in the middle so it will be a very nice and clean looking modification. ill keep you guys updated with my mods! cheers and tight lines everyone. FISH ON!

Attachments

• photo237627.jpg
    photo237627.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 31

HeffD

Cadet
Looks good, I did the same thing... How do you plan on attaching?

Mrdrh99 I am going to use bungy cords , I'm going to drill 3 holes , one in the front and one on each side , and then I'm going to cut the bungy cord ends off , with about 3-5 inches of a bungy tail ( haven't measured it yet) I'm going to put the tail threw the hole and put a washer on the cord , and then tie an overhand knot in the cord so it will be secure to the board and will not slip through the hole . I hope I explained that good enough so you can get a mental image .

How are you planning on securing yours ?

I treated mine last night with the thompsons deck sealer , should be able to paint them by tomorrow .

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
JC2133-

Here is my milk crate pedestal setup. The seats are from Academy Sports. They are very large and light and I can sit in them all day in total comfort. Only $7.99. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mari...ildCatid=10821

This is the front seat. I use the larger rectangle crate, bought it at Sears, in the rear. I mounted "J" hooks in the floor. I had a lumber yard cut some 1.25" particle board to clamp onto the crate tops. I cut a 5" slot in the top of the crate and route tie down straps through the slots and loop them over the "J" hooks. I guess if were to do it again I'd use eye hooks but the "J" hooks work fine. I pull the tie down straps tight which makes them very secure. In the photo, I don't have the straps tightened. The advantage of this setup is I can slide the seat 4" either way to adjust for cargo load or fishing on either side of the boat. I leave the tie downs looped through the crates when storing so setup and tear down takes seconds. The pedestal has a swivel on the bottom of course.

M4seat.jpg

Last edited:

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Mrdrh99 I am going to use bungy cords , I'm going to drill 3 holes , one in the front and one on each side , and then I'm going to cut the bungy cord ends off , with about 3-5 inches of a bungy tail ( haven't measured it yet) I'm going to put the tail threw the hole and put a washer on the cord , and then tie an overhand knot in the cord so it will be secure to the board and will not slip through the hole . I hope I explained that good enough so you can get a mental image .

How are you planning on securing yours ?

I treated mine last night with the thompsons deck sealer , should be able to paint them by tomorrow .

I just put bungee cords all the way across mine. There are pics of my build way back in the first 20 pages or so. I've moved on to a Saturn and now a sea eagle but I like to keep tabs on the mariner thread

Jae12

Recruit
Help please: I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out where to install a fishfinder's transducer. A trolling motor mount is not an option because I am using a small outboard. Could someone please guide me as to where I could install it? It has to be portable because I remove everything and fold the raft after every use. Thanks in advance.

HeffD

Cadet
Help please: I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out where to install a fishfinder's transducer. A trolling motor mount is not an option because I am using a small outboard. Could someone please guide me as to where I could install it? It has to be portable because I remove everything and fold the raft after every use. Thanks in advance.

hey Jae12, check on youtube , i saw a guy use PVC pipe and he can raise and lower the transducer

Brusac

Seaman

I believe this is the video HeffD was referring too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U53gpRg1fCk

Montecristo1976

Recruit
Hello-
I live in the Bay Area and am an avid fisherman. I've grown tired of shelling out money to rent boats at area reservoirs, and after researching canoe/kayak/aluminum boat options, came to the conclusion that the Intex Mariner 4 fits my budget and storage needs. This thread has already been a huge resource. I put the boat on order today and expect to get it in about a week. I love small boats for freshwater fishing.
The mods I plan are the typical wood floor, swivel seat, etc mods as shown on here. I'll be back with specific questions as they come up. Thanks to everyone taking the time to share their modifications. Happy Mariner-ing.

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
Hello-
I live in the Bay Area and am an avid fisherman. I've grown tired of shelling out money to rent boats at area reservoirs, and after researching canoe/kayak/aluminum boat options, came to the conclusion that the Intex Mariner 4 fits my budget and storage needs. This thread has already been a huge resource. I put the boat on order today and expect to get it in about a week. I love small boats for freshwater fishing.
The mods I plan are the typical wood floor, swivel seat, etc mods as shown on here. I'll be back with specific questions as they come up. Thanks to everyone taking the time to share their modifications. Happy Mariner-ing.

I know what you mean. I used to rent out boats at Los Vaqueros in Livermore. I got tired of paying for $50/half day.