Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

AnaKinG

Cadet
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Hi all, this summer, I'm thinking about building a raft frame for my Mariner 4. Thought I'd check out the forum and see if anyone has done that before. I wasn't really able to find any post on it. Is building raft frame an overkill on Mariner? The reason why I want to build a frame is to give that versatility of having a frame you can attach various things to, like downrigger, additional motor mount for trolling vs gas, rod holders, etc etc. What do you guys think? I'd think Mariner can take the weight of ~50lbs frame + 3 full adults (and motor, etc etc) no problem.

300winmag

Seaman

Thats a lot of weight. You might find the M4 a bit small for all that gear and 3 grown men.

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't think weight is your problem but space is.... With a fill load of gear you can forget 3 ppl comfortably... Much less with your frame and gear. Now 2 people it's possible and I would love to see pics or video of what you do! Keep us posted!

AnaKinG

Cadet

Yeah, space has always been a problem with me on Intex Mariner 4 (with/without frame) My buddies and I go fishing on a lake nearby where we use 2 downriggers off of a wooden plank attached to Mariner. While it works well, it leaves essentially no space for 3 adults. My goal with the frame is to increase slightly more comfortable seating space by placing a chair above the tubes on the frame itself. We'll see how it goes. once I draw it out, it may end up making no sense. :)

mrdrh99

Anyone been out on the water yet? I've had a 2 hour family trip so far, which was great! But no actual me time/fishing trip yet.... I'm itching!

300winmag

Seaman

Not yet! The temp was +20C today but the lakes are still frozen LoL

G

Anyone been out on the water yet? I've had a 2 hour family trip so far, which was great! But no actual me time/fishing trip yet.... I'm itching!

So you finally got to use the 2hp? I remember telling everyone throughout all last year that gas engine is the way to go over a troller

mrdrh99

Not yet! I it it running again but haven't taken it out yet

eclipse3gen

Seaman

So tempted to get a mariner 4!

I wonder if all my excitement will be dashed by the setup and repacking time it will take!

mrdrh99

If you're shore bound now you'll quickly forget about it once you're on the water my friend!

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Eclipse,

The set-up and packing does take a little time and I won't say I look forward to it. But you will find short cuts, and experience will make it go faster still. Regardless, as MrDr says, once you're on the water, all that is forgotten. Yes, bigger, faster and ready-to-go are often thought of, but knowing an inflatable is really the best for me/my circumstances, those thoughts disappear once you turn on your motor and aim your boat in the direction you want to go.

Last edited:

ronaldj

I wonder if all my excitement will be dashed by the setup and repacking time it will take!

Remember you have to start someplace. Any boat is better than no boat and standing watching boats go by

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice

Remember you have to start someplace. Any boat is better than no boat and standing watching boats go by

Hi, my name is Brian B., im happy to have found this forum. (Ok to comment on your comment.. Your first set up will be slow, second setup a little faster, third setup youll have it down, tip, the chamber tgat the motor mount mounts to, INSTALL THE MOTOR MOUNT FIRST, and on break down, the boat WILL ROLL UP FAIRLY QUICKLY, follow this tip- you kinda are going to need a tarp.. Flip the boat over once all the Bostons are open, ROLL THE BOAT UP WITH THE BOSTONS FACING OUT, if you roll the boat up in the upright position in will not let all the air out. (Heck if you have a truck or hatchback leave the durnd' motor mount on too/ less to set up, less motor mount hardware to lose)

I fish the Mariner as my primary (inflatable), the Seahawk is on standby in the car should i need plan b. My boat fishes like a bass boat. THANK YOU 18" DRIFT SOCK FROM AMAZON- best thing i have ever done. I fish a MinnKota 30 lb head, tiller head that is spun 180 degrees to pull vs push. I run two Duralast group 29 deep cycle batteries IN PARALLEL, not series. (Nice because i literally can do what i darn well please. If both batteries were to draw down i have jumpers to run the 30lb in 24v mode on "1" only- i have tested it, its fine, just dont be stupid and try to go past 1. I built a dual battery tray, and extended the MinnKota wiring up front vs under my feet, REALLY LAYS THAT NOSE DOWN NICELY, much more boat feel vs raft, yes, launch/load can be tiring,- but its worth it.

I LOVE MY MARINER, heck and my Seahawk, they both fish fantastic thanks to the drift sock.

Oh, almost forgot, MinnKota has puck tranny on bullet, and Eagle/Lowrance FishMark480 mounted on the Intex motor mount, worked out well.

mrdrh99

Where are the pics bro?! Sound awesome

eclipse3gen

Seaman

If you're shore bound now you'll quickly forget about it once you're on the water my friend!

Eclipse,

The set-up and packing does take a little time and I won't say I look forward to it. But you will find short cuts, and experience will make it go faster still. Regardless, as MrDr says, once you're on the water, all that is forgotten. Yes, bigger, faster and ready-to-go are often thought of, but knowing an inflatable is really the best for me/my circumstances, those thoughts disappear once you turn on your motor and aim your boat in the direction you want to go.

With everything that i need to take care of, i get very little time to fish every week as it is! it was more of a nervous thought than anything else! never had a boat and dont know anyone who has one. But I am sure, it will be lot of fun!

I drive a honda civic and live in a small apartment, regular boat is not an option for me. mariner 4 looks to be the closest thing i can realistically use. I am in MN, most lakes are still frozen and fishing opener is still about a month away. As i wait for the lakes to get ready, I am trying to hunt down a 2/3hp motor with reasonable price on CL. No luck yet. will buy th eboat towards the end of this month.

any suggestions what i should look/watchout for or a Big no no in a used motor?

Last edited:

ronaldj

You would be better off with a large trolling motor.

geo2005

Cadet

If you accept a noisy motor, the Honda 4 stroke aircooled 2.3 HP is the best choice for mariner 4. Small amd lightweight, enough power. I'm happy with this motor.

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice

Im posting but its not showing, oh well.
(Not wanting to take my boat pics either)

There is no benefit to any gas motor on this small rig provided tge goal is a fishing platform.

Endura 55lb shortshaft, get the one with digital maximizer- its just the better motor.

If you have doubts on run time run dual batteries in parallel, youll not run two batteries down.

You need to pull along vs push for fishing, you cant do that with a gas motor- and thats not to mention all the clattering around of a gas motor.

(Wonder if this will post?)

G

I had a 50lb kota riptide for 2 days. Was the worst decision i ever made (was returned to amazon) bought a gas motor and haven't looked back. You can pick up 2-4hp outboards and they will weight 30-35lb. 1 good battery for a troller is 50lb. A good gas motor will last you 30 years and you will be replacing that $100 battery in 3 years