Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

r_honda

Recruit
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

^^the bolts that are to long in the picture are going to be cut flush and they are countersunk , i did this using a spade bit it worked great and fit the washers perfectly the boat is solid as a rock cant wait to try and get this thing to plane haha well see when we get it out next.

also made these seats with 5/8 plywood , lined them with outdoor capret and added a 360 swivel they work great and sit you nice and high out of the water

Attachments

• IMG-20120809-00745.jpg
    IMG-20120809-00745.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 19

xiaodengzi

Recruit

what's the detail size for your hard floor? thanks I'm try to order an Aluminium hard floor online, and the seller need the size.

Hello all, I have noticed a few threads about the Intex Mariner 4.
For those of us that are Poor or just starting out, I feel its a Good boat for the Money.
Now I have currently 2 seasons in with my Mariner and I have made a few modifications to it so that I could better enjoy my "pool toy".
I thought that I might share these on here so that other Mariner 4 owners could see what I did and why I did it.

So here is some of my wisdom from experience.
As far as material problems they have only been with the Inflatable keel.
It looks like the seam on my keel ,when factory pressed,, thinned the material, I have had 2 pin holes at the front and back of the keel in the exact same spot on both ends.
I believe this was a manufacturing issue on mine.
They were a easy patch though. I am however considering reinforcing the keel seam. That maybe one area you might want to watch. Other then that the Boat is pretty tough, I have even hit a couple of floating logs on the Ohio River with it and they did no damage, and I can say I'm actually pretty impressed with the strength of the material for this price range. It really is a tough little boat for the money.

(Mods)
One of the first things I did was modify my Mariner with a Hard wood custom floor and custom Motor mount.
The slat roll up floor that comes with the boat is Ok, But it's NO where near as good as a Hard floor.
The Best you can do with the original floor is stand up but you won't be walking around with ANY ease, especially if your a bigger guy.

For my custom Hard floor I just took plywood and treated it with a acetone and resin mix, and Made a 4 piece custom Hard floor. I then painted it with a good water proof paint.
The difference in the Boat was Like Night and Day !!! It's way more rigid and you can literally walk around in the boat with No problems at all. It also added to the overall stability and rigidness of the craft.
As far as walking around in the boat, I'd say its now pretty darn close to the stability of a small bass boat.
When I say that, I mean you can do jumping jacks in the boat and even stand on the tube and it wont flip.

The Custom Floor also allowed me to Make a Custom Motor Mount.
The Motor Mount is Bolted to the custom hard Floor of the boat and it also keep pressure off of the rear tube.
This way the motor is pushing on the floor and not the rear tube.

Now building a custom motor mount depends on how much of a engine you want to use.
The original factory motor mount works great with a trolling motor and even Ok with a 3 hp, however a 3 hp will push on the factory mount pretty good and you have to accelerate slowly or the torque pushes the motor somewhat down into the water.
I wanted to use my 6 hp Johnson on the Mariner so that's why I built the custom motor mount.

Doing a custom floor also lets you really install Bass seats too, and you can even put in pole holders if you want.

I use different setups depending on where and how long I'm out fishing.
If I'm just going out for the evening then I will just use the Factory motor mount and the trolling motor.
Half a day, I take a 3 hp outboard and the 3 gallon tank, and if I'm out for a whole day then I take the 6hp and the 6 gallon tank and trolling motor.
That's also one of the great things about the custom motor mount, I just put the custom floor in backwards and then I have 2 motor mounts on both ends of the boat, one for the 6 hp and one for the trolling motor.

Also I have a Fish finder/GPS on the boat too. You can mount the transducer on the Bottom rubber handle via zip ties.
It works Great,,,and Stays in position,,,it even folds up in the boat when your done so you you don't have to keep putting the transducer on each trip.
I mounted the Fish finder on the top of a tackle box so when I unroll the boat I just set my tackle box down and plug the transducer in.

If you like to night fish Like I do, I also Highly recommend a fish finder with GPS.
There have been Many a Night where I was in some Major fog, and I was able to drive back to the boat ramp with pretty much No visibility. I just followed the trail that I had plotted via GPS mapping and I'm safely back at shore.

I can also say this, I'm a Old Flathead catfish junkie ! and there is Nothing like being on a small inflatable while hooked into a 60+pd Freshwater Freight Train ! Its very much kind of like deep see fishing ! and I have had some Major battles that I will Never forget.

So , to wrap this up,
If you want to do something to make your mariner 4 better, By all means make a full custom floor.
You will Not believe the difference. Its like having a whole different Boat !
Second, keep a eye on the keel seams, and maybe reinforce them.
Third, if you want to go with a engine bigger then a 3 hp, you have to make a custom motor mount.
Yes there are videos on YouTube of people using bigger motors on the original factory mount but it will bend very quickly.

Also I would suggest throwing a small hydrofoil on your outboard. It made a Big difference in the tracking of the boat, and if you stick with the original factory motor mount, it will keep a 3hp from pushing down into the water and you'll even gain a little speed,, because,,, it will raise the rear end of the boat and keep the front down when accelerating.

The beauty of this little boat, is that you can get it without spending a lot of money, and in no time flat your on the water.
Then If you want to spend a little time, you can you also improve your mariner to the point where if feels like a different boat.

Plus I Love the fact that I can have a 11 foot boat, Trolling Motor and 6 Hp outboard in the back of my Chevy Metro and still get 40 MPG !
AND,, Yes,,,,,, I have Won quit a few beers on that Bet ! HAHAHA

Anyhow, I leave you all with a couple of pictures, Sincerely Desode
View attachment 148768View attachment 148769View attachment 148770View attachment 148771View attachment 148772

:rolleyes:I have been hard at it, working on my floor and frame, just got done applying the fourth coat of poly. photo.jpg

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man, r_honda and Darren, you guys got some skills :) Great job! 100% better than mine.

I realized that I've never put my picture up. My floor is made out of 1/2" plywood, coated twice with enamel paint. It is rock solid. This thing feels like a skateboard. I now only remove the center connecting board to save some set up time as it still fit in my car that way. After I made this, I trimmed the length by 1" to make it easier to assemble. I also added locating pins to the connecting board to help minimize the set up time. Still from the pulling up to the parking lot to on the water takes a bit shy of 30 minutes. Pure set up time is probably 20 minutes.

The dolly with 8" wheels, which can be taken on and off on the water as it floats. When I go fishing alone, I carry it with me, when I go out with my daughter, I leave it in the car.

mariner_floor.JPGdolly.JPG

doalsx

Recruit

Hi,

Im on the Dominican Republic and have been checking this post since months... in fact, i bought an Intex Mariner, because of this post. I had previously a Intex SeaHawk with was pretty good, but i wanted something more big and that i could make a custom floor like the ones of this post.

I will take a vacation on my job, and i plan to make a custom floor and custom motor mount.

I have a Tanaka Gamefisher 3 HP outboard motor. I made a simple modification to my boat, using one of the inflatable seat to support better the motor mount on the back. Doing this i can somehow use my motor at full power, but nevertheless it gets to down on the back of the boat pretty much... my maximun speed right know on the sea with the boat is arround 7.2 KM/H. I hope with this custom floar and mount to get a regular speed of arround 8 KM/H without problem.

Im somehow a risky person i think, because i mostly use the boat on the Sea for fishing and excursioning... last week i did went from a beach called "La Caleta, La romana, Dominican Republic" to a Small island that is 4 KM away from shore called la Isla Catalina. This Island have great white beachs and transparent blue water.

The sea trip was somehow challenging, but we made it without any major problem, the boat was really handy and secure. Attach some picture of the Boat using one of the inflatable seat for better suppont of the default Intex Motor Mount and the La Catalina Island.

Attachments

• IMG-20121209-00118.jpg
    IMG-20121209-00118.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG-20121209-00110.jpg
    IMG-20121209-00110.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG-20121209-00130.jpg
    IMG-20121209-00130.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Trips.JPG
    Trips.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 79

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey doalsx, welcome to the forum. I wish I live in the place as pretty as where you live.

Interesting idea to use what you have for better support. However judging from the fact the motor goes down still with 3 hp means your support is still not strong enough.

Is your max speed when the sea is calm? I use 55 lbs trust electric motor, which is about 2 hp gas engine equivalent. I still get around 4.5mile/hour, which is around 7 kmh. I had only used my boat without custom floor once, but having the solid bottom didn't make much difference in speed compare with the original slate floor. But how you inflate and how you set up the motor makes the difference. If my back tubes are under inflated, my motor goes down too. I get the most speed when the prop is just under surface. If you haven't played with them, you might want to do that.

Make sure to come back and post the pics when you are done.

Moneymakin

Cadet

Hey Guys,

i also got an Mariner 4 since more then 6 years.
just used it to flow down a river here in Western Germany.
But now i got the licence for a very good predator lake next to me.
So i?ll pimp the floor and the boat a bit.
Thanx for the nice pics and congratulation to the good work you did.
?ll show you some pics when the ride is ready.

Happy new year,
Moneymakin

vasquez_jesus

Recruit

I found this post when looking for advice on how to modify the marine r 4. I am planning on putting the floor, chairs, a bimini top and an 8hp Johnson outboard. Planning on going as far as 6 miles offshore here in Florida. I will post pictures and plans to encourage more people to join the club.

geo2005

Cadet

I found this post when looking for advice on how to modify the marine r 4. I am planning on putting the floor, chairs, a bimini top and an 8hp Johnson outboard. Planning on going as far as 6 miles offshore here in Florida. I will post pictures and plans to encourage more people to join the club.

Hi everybody
As you can see, I'm new around here and also in the boat-mania.
I've started with some toy boats and a few days ago, based on all your's encouraging comments, I have bought a Mariner 400.
I didn't understood all the technical details due to may bad english though I'l come back with some silly questions.
Until then, do you have any idea how to mount some wooden benches instead of the original seat "pillows" ?

Thx in advance,
Regards form Romania, Europe

vasquez_jesus

Recruit

Hi everybody
As you can see, I'm new around here and also in the boat-mania.
I've started with some toy boats and a few days ago, based on all your's encouraging comments, I have bought a Mariner 400.
I didn't understood all the technical details due to may bad english though I'l come back with some silly questions.
Until then, do you have any idea how to mount some wooden benches instead of the original seat "pillows" ?

Thx in advance,
Regards form Romania, Europe

After you replace the original floor with the hardwood floor, you can install your wooden bench or even boat chairs with a pedestal: see example (http://www.qualitymarinesupply.com/images/categories/Chairs_Tables_Accessories.gif). If this items are not easily found in Romania, you may need to order online from eBay or amazon. You may not be able to install wooden benches on

După ce ?nlocuiți podea original cu parchet, puteți instala banc dvs. din lemn sau chiar scaune cu barca cu un piedestal: a se vedea exemplul (http://www.qualitymarinesupply.com/images/categories/Chairs_Tables_Accessories.gif). ?n cazul ?n care acest produs nu sunt ușor de găsit ?n Rom?nia, ar putea fi necesar de a comanda online de la eBay sau Amazon. Este posibil să nu fi capabil de a instala bănci de lemn pe podea original.

geo2005

Cadet

After you replace the original floor with the hardwood floor, you can install your wooden bench or even boat chairs with a pedestal:

Hi,
Thank you for the answer
I think my bad English is to blame :facepalm:
I was thinking of this kind of bench - http://www.boatstogo.com/images/inflatable-boats-SD330/inflatable-boats-2011/Saturn-Specs-2011.jpg

For the beginning, I want to try the original floor (the boat is heavy enough and I am not in the best physical shape).
But, because of my physical shape (which is round :D), I need higher and more rigid seats than the original pillows.

srankjoj

Recruit

It looks like the seam on my keel ,when factory pressed,, thinned the material, I have had 2 pin holes at the front and back of the keel in the exact same spot on both ends.
They were a easy patch though. I am however considering reinforcing the keel seam. That maybe one area you might want to watch. Other then that the Boat is pretty tough, I have even hit a couple of floating logs on the Ohio River with it and they did no damage, and I can say I'm actually pretty impressed with the strength of the material for this price range. It really is a tough little boat for the money.

Hi Desode,
Thats some really cool mod work there...Great Job
Have you already done the keel re-inforcement?
Any pointers on how this can be done..

I have just bought the Mariner 4 and I really want to do everything possible to safe guard my boat...
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated...
This boat is not available in my country....i had to shell out quite a bit(shipping/import duties) to have this..So I really want this to last as long as possible...

You have been having the boat for some time now rt? Hows is the boat holding up do far?

Thanks
Srank

doalsx

Recruit

Hi,

I could say that my seahaw II was more durable than the Mariner 4... used it lot more, and now, after a few uses, my intex mariner has a leak, is not big deal, i will patch it, but i think that is more easy to puncture the Intex Mariner that the Sea Hawk II. Nevertheless im not regret of buying the Intex Mariner, since is more big, i can make it a custom floor and has an inflatable keel.

Regards,
Aldo V.

Kambiz

Recruit

I have just bought a Mariner 4 as it was the best choice I had for having aboat without need for towing. I also have storage space restricion. I like to know how we can insall a simple boat seat on the original floor that come with the boat. If anybody has done so, please post some pictures and details. Thanks,

kenny25271

Cadet

I have just bought a Mariner 4 as it was the best choice I had for having aboat without need for towing. I also have storage space restricion. I like to know how we can insall a simple boat seat on the original floor that come with the boat. If anybody has done so, please post some pictures and details. Thanks,

Here is what I did I took plastic milk crates and 3/4 inch plywood I set the crate down on the plywood measured out 5 or 6 inches on all sides enough to keep you from tipping over cut that out and drilled sanded and counter sunk holes in plywood bolted bottom of crate to the plywood next I took a 1 by 12 pine board and cut it to fit inside of the crate and then I cut another piece of 1 by 12 that matched the width of a regular bass boat seat kind that you mount on top of a swivel and bolted seat and swivel to the boards that I cut out now the seat fits perfect on top of the crate and you have space to store stuff inside of milk crate plus they are very portable and they are easy to store one thing I gotta do is figure out way to bolt the seat rig to the crate with a hinge that you can take apart to store because the seat want s to tip up if you lean to far forward other than that they work perfect. I will post pics if you want them .

hotsauce

Cadet

Hey there guys, I've been checking out the mariner 4 lately and found this topic. Great site as well so I decided to join. Awesome to see how you guys are modding your boats. This makes me want to buy it even more. I'm thinking about getting the mariner 4 with the motor mount and motor that comes together in the package. Wanted to ask you guys if the motor is any good. Or should I just get the boat and mount and buy a motor from a local place? Me and my brother in law are planning to get one each and would like some inputs from you guys who already have them. Thanks.

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For what it's worth, I am not aware of any motor coming in a package with this boat.

geo2005

Cadet

Here is what I did I took plastic milk crates and 3/4 inch plywood I set the crate down on the plywood measured out 5 or 6 inches on all sides enough to keep you from tipping over cut that out and drilled sanded and counter sunk holes in plywood bolted bottom of crate to the plywood next I took a 1 by 12 pine board and cut it to fit inside of the crate and then I cut another piece of 1 by 12 that matched the width of a regular bass boat seat kind that you mount on top of a swivel and bolted seat and swivel to the boards that I cut out now the seat fits perfect on top of the crate and you have space to store stuff inside of milk crate plus they are very portable and they are easy to store one thing I gotta do is figure out way to bolt the seat rig to the crate with a hinge that you can take apart to store because the seat want s to tip up if you lean to far forward other than that they work perfect. I will post pics if you want them .

PLS, some pictures...
I'm from Europe and I don't know how it looks the milk crate and also my American English is poor enough..
A picture worth a thousand words :)
Thx in advance !

Moneymakin

Cadet

Hello all, I have noticed a few threads about the Intex Mariner 4.
For those of us that are Poor or just starting out, I feel its a Good boat for the Money.
Now I have currently 2 seasons in with my Mariner and I have made a few modifications to it so that I could better enjoy my "pool toy".
I thought that I might share these on here so that other Mariner 4 owners could see what I did and why I did it.

(Mods)
One of the first things I did was modify my Mariner with a Hard wood custom floor and custom Motor mount.
The slat roll up floor that comes with the boat is Ok, But it's NO where near as good as a Hard floor.
The Best you can do with the original floor is stand up but you won't be walking around with ANY ease, especially if your a bigger guy.

For my custom Hard floor I just took plywood and treated it with a acetone and resin mix, and Made a 4 piece custom Hard floor. I then painted it with a good water proof paint.
The difference in the Boat was Like Night and Day !!! It's way more rigid and you can literally walk around in the boat with No problems at all. It also added to the overall stability and rigidness of the craft.
As far as walking around in the boat, I'd say its now pretty darn close to the stability of a small bass boat.
When I say that, I mean you can do jumping jacks in the boat and even stand on the tube and it wont flip.

The Custom Floor also allowed me to Make a Custom Motor Mount.
The Motor Mount is Bolted to the custom hard Floor of the boat and it also keep pressure off of the rear tube.
This way the motor is pushing on the floor and not the rear tube.

Now building a custom motor mount depends on how much of a engine you want to use.
The original factory motor mount works great with a trolling motor and even Ok with a 3 hp, however a 3 hp will push on the factory mount pretty good and you have to accelerate slowly or the torque pushes the motor somewhat down into the water.
I wanted to use my 6 hp Johnson on the Mariner so that's why I built the custom motor mount.

Doing a custom floor also lets you really install Bass seats too, and you can even put in pole holders if you want.

View attachment 148768View attachment 148769View attachment 148770View attachment 148771View attachment 148772

Hey Copperfox,

nice setting! Thanx for the ideas.
I also made a custom floor.
Now i?m looking for a good, easy and cheap idea to bring my seat into the boat.
In one of your pictures i can see a seat, very similar to mine.
But i can?t fix it out, how you place it that high in the boat.
Can you please tell me that? Maybe u got other pics showing how,
might be easier for a german guy ;-)
The pic with the box under the seat in another boat is an other posibillity.
How did you fix the box on the floor? Just with some screws?

Thnx for ur answer,

Moneymakin