4 strokes nissan 9.8 hp or 2 strokes yamaha E15D enduro 15 hp

ZIZON

Seaman
I have 3,8m inflatable boat, Please any one can tell me which one is the best choice in overall.Many thanks

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 4 strokes nissan 9.8 hp or 2 strokes yamaha E15D enduro 15 hp

I have a 3.8m Zodiac witha 9.9 four stroke on and its moves even with 2 adults in it. However my friend has one with a 2 stroke 15 on and that really is fun :). I guess it really depends what you want from it. 9.8 should allow you a days boating on very little fuel but the 15 should give you more low down grunt for kids kneeboarding etc and will allow you reasonable performance even when the boat has a load. All that said if I had to make a decision I would go for the 15 anyday assuming your boat is rated for that size of motor and cost isn't an issue the bigger the better :)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Hola Zizon

A 9.8 has nothing to do with a 15 HP, probably in your country can find a Tohatsu/Nissan 2 strokes 18 HP, that's an excellent horse, you'll love that engine as much as I do. What like the most, can leave behind any inflatable with a 15.

Used to have a 380 with an 18 and the performance was outstanding , now powers awesome my 420 rib. See avatar and that's at 3/4 throttle.

Happy Boating

azzurro

Seaman

I have 3,8m inflatable boat, Please any one can tell me which one is the best choice in overall.Many thanks
I guess weight is an issue.

2 stroke engines are lighter than 4 stroke engines, easier to transport, and more robust and easier to repair.
Also, more noisy and more fuel thirsty.
And of course, more oil dirty. This is why 2 stroke technology is being banned at some countries, specially in lakes and rivers.

If you are going for 4 strokes and weight is important, go for manual start engines such as Selva Piranha 10HP or Honda BF20 20Hp.
Piranha is too much ... "primitive".
Honda BF20 is perfect ... except for price.
Both of them are light mainly because they are smaller engines with more powerful carbs (Piranha from 5hp to 10hp, Honda BF20 from 15hp to 20 hp). Some handy boaters just overpower certain outboards by changing the carb.

ZIZON

Seaman

Thanks you all for replies, both engine are not much difference about its weigh, which one should i take? they are all the same price. thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Both models are very near same weight, just 3 Kg difference, you need power for that sib to perform as expected. 4 strokes Nissan 9.8 is only 210 CC compared to 250 CC for the 2 strokes Yamie. If you already know Nissan/Tohatsu why don't you go straight for a 2 strokes 300 CC 18 HP ? Or this model is not available in your area ?

Happy Boating

azzurro

Seaman

As long as there are no restrictions, I always would go for 2 strokes in the sea.
Although I am quite nature concerned, I believe that in the sea the dirt is not caused by small engines (I mean, less than 30hp) used 100 hours a year. You will split more dirt just by purging the carb!

Lakes and rivers are different. They are much more sensible, and you will not need as much power as in the sea. Use 4 strokes for lakes and rivers.