• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

strengthen pvc against shore rocks etc

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strengthen pvc against shore rocks etc

What materials can be applied
    to underside and/or front of PVC inflatable so as to make it more resistant to sharp rocks (when pulling the boat onto shore), fish hooks and such ?

Fiberglass patches?
    Thick paints?
    Other fabrics?

Thanks for any help or advice

Re: strengthen pvc against shore rocks etc

http://www.alaskaseries.com/grizzly_...ttom_armor.htm

Comment

You can buy bottom protection by the foot at Defender. They offer a few sizes, which are standard on their Defender brand inflatable boats.

Defender 430 CSM_o by slsyzygy

Defender 430 CSM_q by slsyzygy

Hope that helps.

S-

Comment

Hi there
        I have an Alaska Series inflatable fitted with their reinforcement. It works really well .. also on the sides for protestion against barnacles etc on pilings.

Comment

It shouldn't be necessary to add any material....It's the equivalent of adding an extra sole to the bottom of a shoe.
          Elvin
          My answers are like Zen...It may not be the answer you want, but it is generally the answer you need.

The 3 Rules:

1) Look in your service manual first...Then ask me if it is correct.
          2) Understand that your desire to repair your engine does not mean that you have the ability to do so.
          3) If you are confused, take your engine into a dealer..Then let them be confused...At least, in theory, they sent someone to outboard 101.

Comment

Originally posted by TOHATSU GURU View Post
            It shouldn't be necessary to add any material....It's the equivalent of adding an extra sole to the bottom of a shoe.
            The sole is typically the reinforced part of a shoe. For extra tough applications adding a little more material at the bottom of the pontoons makes sense for inflatables that get tough chores like the Alaska series inflatables. I've used one strangely enough in Alaska. The inflatable got dragged onto barnacle covered rocks with bits of rusted metal, gravely beaches and dragged up onto sharp rocks to get the inflatable out of the surf zone. The failure zone on the Alaska series was not on the reinforced areas, just right above it.

Comment

Like I said, its the equivalent of adding an extra sole to a shoe. It does not make sense to do so under any kind of normal condition. If you worked in a nail factory and normally walked around on nails that would penetrate one sole, but not two. It would certainly not be completely ridiculous to get a shoe with a thicker sole. Inflatables are a little different. Typically anything that would penetrate one layer would almost certainly go through two layers. That's because it doesn't usually happen even through one layer. Most inflatables are damaged by sharp point objects that are not natural in origin. IE screws and nails. The Alaska inflatable was imported into the U.S. with the double layer bottom as a marketing gimmick rather than as an actual damage preventor( is that a real word? It should be). However, a variety of brands and models are made with additional chaffing pads on the bottom and sold as "heavy duty". They aren't, but that's the power of words used to promote X over Y. In the end, a double layer doesn't hurt anything other than the extra weight so it's a benign lie rather than a hurtful lie.
              Elvin
              My answers are like Zen...It may not be the answer you want, but it is generally the answer you need.

The 3 Rules:

1) Look in your service manual first...Then ask me if it is correct.
              2) Understand that your desire to repair your engine does not mean that you have the ability to do so.
              3) If you are confused, take your engine into a dealer..Then let them be confused...At least, in theory, they sent someone to outboard 101.

Comment

Your shoe analogy doesn't correlate well to the long-gone OP's posit. If I were walking in a factory with nails on the floor - I would much prefer to get a shoe with a sole that had a higher degree of resistance to penetration vs something that didn't. That, or not walk on the floor or get the nails off the floor.

If I were dragging inflatables onto a shoreline covered with nails, sharp glass shards, or newly-formed obsidian I would much prefer to have an extra layer on the surface of the pontoon most exposed to these materials. While PVC, Hypalon etc are incredibly tough I can guarantee you that if I used a ice pick I could poke a hole faster through one layer than two.

At the end of the day - inflatables are not all that fast so the extra hydrodynamic drag of reinforcement probably isn't a huge factor, nor would I be taking a inflatable into those areas where repeated bashing and cutting are everyday events. In Alaska, aluminum craft are norms. Especially for landing craft, or boats which need to be beached every so often.

If we were to get crazy about actual performance vs. opinion we could always ask for objective information from the Gary King company, or actual users of reinforced bottom inflatables. Note post #4.

Comment

And definitely a reinforced 2 layer bottom will hold more sand abrassion if boater is an avid "beaching" user, that is, exiting a boat under power against sand shorelines repetively, some takes this as a "beach sport"

Happy Boating
                  Sea Rider 430 Rib Tohatsu 18/30 HP Proud Smokers

Comment

Working...
                  X