Sevylor boat boot question

ERK419

Cadet
I have the HF360 and was looking at the boat boot and had a couple questions. First off I'm only planning on taking this boat out at the 5 reservoirs in my town so it will be all open water so extra protection will not really be an issue besides maybe hitting it with hooks. The main reason I was looking at it was to help protect the boat from the sun. I've read mixed reviews on it some people said its worthless and fills up with water. Others said they really like it. Now for my questions.

1. Is it worth the 100+ dollars for extra protection and to combat the sun?
2. Is it really needed to combat the sun?
3. I just received my plates in the mail from boatnumberplate.com now waiting on the abhesive in the mail. I take it from the pictures if I get the boot ill need to put the plates on the boot will this stick good is it made from the same material "pvc"?

So what do you guys think get the boot because it will be a boat saver from UV rays? Or don't waste you money its not needed and a bigger PITA then its worth?

Thanks in advance to all who reply!

dobbs571

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Sevylor boat boot question

I have one it dosent seem to fill up with waterthere are two big drain holes in each end.It dose make the raft stiffer maybe they are not airing the raft up all the way because when mine is on and aired up it is streched tight. It dose add a layer of protection .

ERK419

Cadet

Thanks for your reply I was looking and can't even seem to find one all the websites that sell them say they have be discontinued. Didn't see any on ebay either. Does anyone know of any place that still has some?

I don't understand why they are still making the boat and selling it but are discontinuing the accessories for it first the floorboards now the boot.

dobbs571

Petty Officer 3rd Class

check on ebay thats where I got mine .If you dont get in a big hurry got mine for35.00 new in the box

Redeyejedi

Cadet

does the boot interfere with the 'rails' on the keel?
are the drain holes to match the bow and stern drains in the floor?

dobbs571

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes on mine the drain holes in the front and back match cutouts in the boot .And the rails and motor mount area and such are cut out in the boot and have a renforcedment around them.You do have to take the rope off the sides to install the boot and put it back on afterwards I just untie one end slip it thur the cutouts in the boot and rerun it and tie it back on only takes a fu mins to do .

RickVS

Cadet

Positives: 1) adds stiffness to the boat 2) prevents mice from eating holes in your boat in winter storage (this is actually why I got it) 3) protects the boat from the harsh surfaces I drag it over at the boat launch 4) protects the boat from puncture 5) I don't know about the sun; I guess U/V does degrade plastic over time, so MAYBE that's a good idea? 6) no need to put the stickers on the boat boot. I bought two 1/4" thick. foot long lengths of a white plastic doodad made for this purpose, and affix my numbers and anything else to this. I then drilled a hole in each top corner and threaded my boats cord through the holes. They just hang there, not stuck to the boat, and out of the way.
Negatives: 1) fills up with water: this is only an issue when you're dragging it out of the water and you'll notice that it is much heavier to move out of the water and impossible to lift. The water WILL NOT drain naturally just by leaving the boat sitting there (or maybe it just drains slowly- I've never waited). The best thing to do is get in front of the boat, lift up the front higher and higher, walking back towards the rear of the boat. A solid torrent of water will rush out the back. Keep going until the boat is upright. Any remaining water between that hole in the rear and the 'grill' in the bottom will drain as you move the boat back to horizontal and put it on the top of your SUV like I do or deflate it.