• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ok to transport inflatable boat on car roof, California

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ok to transport inflatable boat on car roof, California

Anyone from CA? Is it ok to transport my boat inflated on the car roof? The boat is just about the same size as my car, if not a little smaller.

Re: Is it ok to transport inflatable boat on car roof, California

I scanned the California Vehicle Code Website, and found the following regulation concerning loads on passenger vehicles:

Loads on Passenger Vehicles

35111. No passenger vehicle shall be operated on any highway with any load carried thereon extending beyond the line of the fenders on its left side or more than six inches beyond the line of the fenders on its right side.
    Amended Ch. 120, Stats. 1961. Effective September 15, 1961.

I'm actually surprised they don't regulate HOW a load is attached. I have seen so many badly tied/strapped loads that were unsafe and practically begged for a citation. It looks like you boat can overhang front and rear, but on the left side they don't want it extending into the other guy's lane at all. On the right side they are more forgiving, as you have the option of staying in the right lane only if necessary. Note that there are no restrictions about WHAT you can carry on the roof. Good luck.
    Larry

Comment

Re: Is it ok to transport inflatable boat on car roof, California

Thanks for your reply. I tried to load the boat today but it looked risky. The boat is too big. I guess i won't have a choice but buying a foldable trailer from Harbor Freight Tools and then modify a little to make it fit. I don't have room for anything too long.

Comment

Working...
      X