Trailer for inflatable

Dmitry

Seaman Apprentice
Looking to have a custom trailer built for my inflatable (12 ft, not a RIB- inflatable keel) so that I can avoid inflating/deflating every time and having to mount the motor. Any advice regarding trailer configuration based on personal experience? Also, any pictures would be appreciated!

In particular I am worried whether it is ok to carry motor (25HP Yamaha) on the transom all the time as the boat is towed.

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Trailer for inflatable

That trailer would work for a RIB, but not a SIB with the motor mounted on it. You need a flatbed trailer which they also sell at Harbor Freight. Search this forum and you'll find where others have modified HF flatbeds for just this purpose.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Modified V Flat Bed Sib Trailer

Modified V Flat Bed Sib Trailer

Hola Dmitry,

Have used all types of transport methods to take my sib along, from roof rack systems to flat beds, the only issue is that will need to inflate keel once sib's on water and deflete before back on trailer. So ended making a deep V flat bed that holds lateral tubes and transom/engine area properly as if they were floating on water. Keel is kept constantly inflated and is air topped before sib's leaves trailer into water.

Holds 18/25/30 HP engines very well, will not need a transom saver bar as engine is always in vertical position. Don't use rib trailers on sibs, as paralell rails rests on lower bottom fabric which will deteriorate with time, as they are not resting on tubes as they should specially when towing trailer/sib/engine. This sib lives on that trailer for the past 2 years, engine has never been removed from transom. Perfect for service & water flushing after use with hose, muffs or barrel.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• 09.JPG
    09.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Flushing.JPG
    Flushing.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 6

Dmitry

Seaman Apprentice

Sea Rider, thanks, that's what I was looking for! I am thinking of a similar trailer, plus side boards to guide the boat in case of current and/or wind.

riverandocean

Seaman Apprentice

I have used this set-up on my Zodiac for many miles with no troubles. I have a 175 lb motor and use a transom saver (motor brace)

I do love the side bunks in a cross current or cross wind!

Attachments

• ready-to-load-on-trailer.jpg
    ready-to-load-on-trailer.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 7
  • underside-view.jpg
    underside-view.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 6
  • transom-on-bunks2.jpg
    transom-on-bunks2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 6

Dry Diver

Seaman

I see alot of people trailering their inflatables on the road. My question is this. Even with a transom saver doesn't trailering the boat with the motor on it cause alot of stress on the transom. I have a 40HP mer that weighs 157lbs. I would think that all that weight bouncing around on the transom would be bad. I live about 100 miles from the ocean. I go diving every weekend and tow the boat out there jsut as much. Right now I have the boat on a flat platform that I built up on a boat trailer. It works, but it would be much easier if I could use a regular boat trailer. I have to back the trailer so far in the water to get the boat up and off the platform it can be a pain some times. Some ramps are not steep enough to allow me to launch the boat. I am hoping that I would be able to use a regular trailer with the bunks and winch on the front but I am scared about the long distance travel. Taking the motor off is not really an option. It is pretty heavy and a pain to move around. Any thoughts?

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Interesting idea regarding whether or not one should have the tubes or the floor bearing the weight. I considered this very carefully as I roll down dirt roads with my trailer and sib. I don't see how I would want any abrasion on my tubes. I went with bunks that are positioned under the floor and inside of the speed tubes my Futura has. The rear of the bunks extends under the transom and the transom is directly supported. I also have two small pads or short bunks up forward to keep the boat from hobby horsing up and down on nasty roads. Yes, I have had some wear on the contact point where the front floor joint rests on those pads. I have also had a slight bit of wear on the transom edge fabric. I would much rather patch the flooring than the tubes! I haven't needed to do anything yet and it has been years since I bought the boat. Just my take on that ( I do have a strong aluminum floor on my Zodiac).If you are leaving the outboard mounted you need the transom to be supported directly.
zodiac.jpg

I do have one unique accessory on my trailer. This large swivel caster unbolts and installs upfront right after the tongue. Great for beach launching where I roll the trailer free from the vehicle. You don't want to damage the tongue pulling out. A long tow strap makes loading the boat in very shallow estuaries possible. Be sure to tie the strap before hand (unless you like to free dive for your trailer in the channel).
tonguewheel.jpg

The picture shows a reinforcement I added to my trailer to keep it together 500 miles down in Baja. The two uprights are the supports for my front short bunks.
trailer.jpg

Sure the transom gets stressed by the outboard. A transom saver doesn't take all the load off, but sure does reduce the dynamic loading when you bounce along. I'm not pulling my Nissan 50 with remote controls to travel. If your boat can't handle a little road bounce how is it going to stay together at sea?
transomsaver.jpg

Inflatables on trailers are great for towing. Definitely opens up a lot of places. Unfortunately the road is now paved most of the way to this prime fishing spot!

abreojosbl.jpg

Dry Diver

Seaman

You have stated a lot of good points, thank you. One thing that I overlooked in stating is that the platform that I built on the trailer has been carpeted with a fairly plush carpet. I do not think that I have to worry about any chaffing while I am driving down the road. I strap the boat down with 2 2" wide ratchet straps across the bow and then one across the rear of the boat about 2' in front of the transom. It is not going to go anywhere. I also made the platform big enough that the skegg is supported by the platform as well as the transom itself. I strap the motor down so it does not rock left or right while traveling. I attached a pic to show what I am talking about. Hope that helps.

Thanks again for the info.

Attachments

• 4646_1013747122001_1774761014_21638_738989_n.jpg
    4646_1013747122001_1774761014_21638_738989_n.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 6

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Does flat bed have a deep V in middle for keel storage ? Inflate sib with gauge to 3.0 PSI while trailering for less transom stress.

Happy Boating

Dry Diver

Seaman

No there is no "V" in the platform. I deflate the keel during transport and then re inflate once I am in the water with it. I tried inflating it before I back the boat into the water but it lifts up the tubes of the front of the boat off the trailer and then I have to go that much further in the water with the trailer to get the boat off the trailer. I end up with water over the back tires of my truck. I have 32" tires on my truck so I figure that is way too deep to be in the water on a ramp. With the keel deflated I have water about half way up the tire.

Thanks for the tip on the 3psi for transporting

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, All I can say is stick to short tows and smooth paved roads! Resting your outboard on the skeg is probably not a great idea if you travel much. The skeg is not an appropriate load bearing surface. Sure the boat may be strapped down tight, but it still moves dynamically while being towed. On longer tows you would really have to watch out for changes in tube pressure. Let that sucker bounce at all and you are going to damage the skeg.

Carpet would definitely help as far as abrasion goes. If I tried that the grit, sand and dirt that would accumulate in the carpet would definitely be an issue on my long drives. Everyone has different needs regarding a trailer. Dmitry needs to determine his actual use and consider the suggestions made in that context. If he has any interest in running on salt water those cheap flatbeds are not even worth considering. I see used galvanized boat trailers for sale at very reasonable prices on Craigslist (at least here in San Diego). I like the longer distance from the hitch to the axle on a boat trailer (a more stable ride), the ability to adjust my axle to get the tongue weight right and the extra load capacity a true boat trailer provides. Running a light short trailer with a near capacity load doesn't give you the kind of handling characterictics you might need on a longer tow. It is nice to have confidence when you swerve around a steer carcass in a blind turn with no guard rail and a long drop!

It is all about getting out on the water! Have fun with your rig, but be aware of it's limitations.

nice-diver

Seaman Apprentice

my Zodiac MKIII GR was originally bought by a local fire department with a jet for rescue on rivers.

3696084771_02205dce58.jpg

4092166742_365518c71c.jpg

weight of motor is directly on these bunks
4091398589_66940270ec.jpg

I plan on a wide carpeted piece to support/protect the forward keel
4092156200_2f5a5b6886.jpg

I am going to modify it in the next couple weeks.
Not having a keel, side bunks are required to load the boat, I have been having to adjust the boat when I get it back on the trailer.

Yes the one transom support fell off when this pic was taken last july. I plan to move them wider to clear the keel when loading.

Dry Diver

Seaman

I would really love to get back to this type of trailer. I think that I have to tow the boat too far though. I am really concerned about the torque that would be put on the transom during trailering. I know that the weight of the motor would be supported by the bunks, but what about the forward and back motion that is caused my the trailer bouncing. Still seems really scary to me. Guess I will have to settle for wrestling the boat on and off the trailer, because the trailer sits too high now. Have to back the trailer way into the water for it to start to float.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Why don't you modify the existeng trailer and make it a flat bed with middle V for the keel, it's a complete waist of time to infalte/deflate keel every time you launch/recover boat. At the begining has passed through same issue, and was bored nearly inmediately using that procedure. If tubes are correctly inflated and carpet seated on bed, won't have any problems with transom issues, been trailering my sib for years, in all kind of terrains with no prob at all.

Happy Boating

nice-diver

Seaman Apprentice

to raise the transom for the original jet motor, my transom has a brace bolted to the floor.

3699649243_1c38011e19.jpg

Looking at my zodiac, there is alot of factory rubber holding the transom to the boat, its not going anywhere. I also feel that hanging the motor straight down has the least effect on the transom than the torsional twist if the motor was tilted, its my uneducated thought.

My boat and trailer were paid for by a government agency to an inflatable boat dealer, so its got to be "right" doesn't it?

KC Zinck

Cadet

This setup I have used for the last couple of years, it has worked well for all gear storage and boat on top.
I have upgraded the trailer for additional storage this winter as you can see in the pictures.

Attachments

• th_IMG_1650.jpg
    th_IMG_1650.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 5
  • th_IMG_1654.jpg
    th_IMG_1654.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 4
  • th_DSC00024.jpg
    th_DSC00024.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 5
  • th_DSC00026.jpg
    th_DSC00026.jpg