Sevylor HF 280 Fish Hunter and Sevylor Trolling Motor Problem

shark2003

Cadet
Hello,I am new to this forum and the reason I registered here was to hopefully pick up some good advice from experienced boaters. alot of questions but I am just going to start with my first dillema I am struggling with at the moment.

I bought a Sevy FH 280 Fish Hunter and Sevylor 12 Volt 17 lbs thrust motor which mounts directly to the boat...?? but here is the problem...how the $%^&#*) am I supposed to steer this thing properly without twisting my arm? I have had this outfit for about a week now and took it out twice for the first time last weekend...and the first time I really didnt have the motor mounted properly and the engine would slide down...I fixed that by putting the triangular piece that fits snug on top of the lower eylelet and screwed tight...but another problem still remained...I have to practically twist my arm to control the damn thing and its very awkward and uncomfortable..I tried adding a piece of PVC pipe to it and that just got in the way and didnt help any..is there anyway to modify this to where I steer my motor without twisting my arm and end up doing 360s in the water because I cant steer properly?? See picture below.

l_2e774d9e9a1543b88413073d0c1aed4b.jpg

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Sevylor HF 280 Fish Hunter and Sevylor Trolling Motor Problem

Hmmm... Well it's probably how you're sitting in the boat. Try sitting on the tube on the right rear part of the boat so that you're facing the tiller. You should be able to just reach over and steer the boat very easily. If you're trying to sit down in the boat on the floor, it's going to be difficult.

shark2003

Cadet

Hmmm... Well it's probably how you're sitting in the boat. Try sitting on the tube on the right rear part of the boat so that you're facing the tiller. You should be able to just reach over and steer the boat very easily. If you're trying to sit down in the boat on the floor, it's going to be difficult.

It comes with 2 seat cushions..but I think that was a little deceiving to me...there really isnt anyway to sit to the left or right of the stern unless I sit facing in either direction either with bent legs or legs hanging over the side..but that may be the way to go..LOL..I ended up with my legs stretched across most of the length of the boat and steering with my hand up behind my head..LOL..but what your saying is I would have to sit up on and on top of the outer hull and I would be scared of flipping or sinking the boat then...is it safe to do that in these boats??

Drowned Rat

Captain

Yeah, sit on the outer tube. It won't flip or sink. It's actually quite a stable boat. Just try it and you'll see.

I wish I could have seen you trying to steer the boat the way you describe! :)

shark2003

Cadet

Yeah, sit on the outer tube. It won't flip or sink. It's actually quite a stable boat. Just try it and you'll see.

I wish I could have seen you trying to steer the boat the way you describe! :)

Yeah..I got a good laugh out of people at work about that after describing it to them...it was funny though...but it was kind of comfy at the same time..LOL..luckily there wasnt any cameras around ..LOL...I'll try it out in some shallow water and wear swimming shorts and of course a life vest as always to test this out and see how it works...I thought I had some water coming in after I was leaning for awhile to one side of the stern trying different ways to position myself...I dont think I had the outer hull completely inflated though...the left facing forward (port side I think) rod holder would flop if I put put my net in it and it didnt do that on my first trip...I dont think there are any leaks though..I was in the water for about 3 hours at least...uh..another thing is getting in and out this thing seems to be a questionable issue..I am afraid to sit down to hard and driving it into some rocks or Oyster shells...I'll get into that later...

Drowned Rat

Captain

Yeah, you for sure need proper inflation pressure in the tubes. Always carry a pump with you on the water so you can top off the tubes after you've been underway for a bit. The cool water shrinks the air in the tubes and they get soft. Top them off once and you are usually good. That boat has a built in pressure gauge type thing doesn't it? You should be able to sit on the tube and it should barely give at all. If you sink into it, it's too soft.

shark2003

Cadet

It does have a sort of gauge..and I havent figured out how to read it correctly yet,yeah I guess I could use my net my sticking it in one of the rod holders and see if it flops over..then I know there isnt enough air and keep going until that thing sits up straight... but the inside and bottom chambers have those damn pinch valves...and I lose air as soon as I pull out the pump because they are hard to push in quick enough to keep from losing air...any advice on these?

Drowned Rat

Captain

No, just do the best you can with them. Make up the difference with the main tubes to get them tight. I know it says to follow a certain order, but don't worry too much about that.

shark2003

Cadet

Yeah,it actually seemed to handle better the first time I blew it up and wasnt paying any attention to the order and didnt even fill the bottom 2 chambers because I didnt know they were there. I think I will hit all of the pinch valves first then fill the Boston valve chambers.

dobbs571

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello I just got a sevylor FH360 blow it up once to see if any leaks.Have the owners manual.all it says about the sevytest gauge is it is not a pressure gauge and not for inflation it is only to tell when pressure is gettingto hight from heat of the sun and to let some out to keep test strip in same general area.In fact there is not a thing that say how much air to put in.all it say is do not over inflate .from owner manual (Inflate the boat until most of the winkles are gone and it feels firm to the touch) hope that helps if you need any info from the manual let me know .

shark2003

Cadet

Umm...I have a few more questions. What is the best way to get into and out of this thing? I think I just kind of rolled into it while standing in the water or is it safe to just kind of sit down on the side and just flip your legs up over into the boat..and vice versa...I think my big mental block is worrying about flipping or pushing the boat into the bottom of the water and poking a hole on a rock or shell or something. I tried to get it out to about at least a foot of water before getting in. Also,this thing has a battery bag but that is kind of awkward and I need to figure out a way to keep the battery more stationary..right now I am using a lawn motor battery that I picked up from Wal Mart for about $30 and its approx 18 Ah and I have it recharged from the the last trip but eventually I'll need to get a real marine deep cycle battery. The last question I have is should I mount the motor first before I blow this up,or should I mount after blowing it up or mount it after I get the boat into the water?

dobbs571

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I also have the owners manual for the boat boot.Funny its one page all the rest or in diff lang.

dobbs571

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would say mount it after you blow it up .Do you have a owners manual for it ?

shark2003

Cadet

Hello I just got a sevylor FH360 blow it up once to see if any leaks.Have the owners manual.all it says about the sevytest gauge is it is not a pressure gauge and not for inflation it is only to tell when pressure is gettingto hight from heat of the sun and to let some out to keep test strip in same general area.In fact there is not a thing that say how much air to put in.all it say is do not over inflate .from owner manual (Inflate the boat until most of the winkles are gone and it feels firm to the touch) hope that helps if you need any info from the manual let me know .

Yeah,thanks...that was pretty much what I was doing...it is common sense about the wrinkles,I think I got in a little bit of a hurry the last time I inflated it...the manual is pretty short and doesnt give much detail to anything...I think the outer chamber is kind of tricky to judge,I could just keep pumping until I hear the Pump sounding like a clogged vacum cleaner and I think thats what I did last time...but appearenlty it probably just needed to be adjusted as I was pumping air into it.

shark2003

Cadet

I would say mount it after you blow it up .Do you have a owners manual for it ?

Yeah..thats what I've been doing..I was wondering if blowing air with the motor already on would make a difference in how the boat would form while blowing air into it...

dobbs571

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Iam getting ready to make a wood floor for mine and a motor mount I have a minnkota 46# motor Iam going to use.

Drowned Rat

Captain

You need to "Top off" the pressure with a hand or foot pump. The electric pumps are great for filling the boat fast, but they don't reach adequate pressure. Top them off by hand.

shark2003

Cadet

Yeah..I am not crafty enough to make a floor for it...but I may be able to get the machine/wood shop from work to make one for me...hmm..yeah the Minn Kota and outboard mount will come later after I pay a few bills etc...I'll get the Minn Kota 30 lbs thrust and bigger battery and Sevylor Mount...thats about another $250.00 Can I put a floor in my 280?

dobbs571

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have emailed coleman/sevylor tec on how much air pressure is to be in one waitting for an email back from them.Will let you know when I get it .

shark2003

Cadet

You need to "Top off" the pressure with a hand or foot pump. The electric pumps are great for filling the boat fast, but they don't reach adequate pressure. Top them off by hand.

I do have a foot pump...I'll add that to my boat kit and try that then...that will probably make the difference..