Zodiac Bench Seat? Stringer Track Mounts? Lookin' for MODDIN IDEAS

Todd RT

Cadet
I've got a 10' zodiac with the wood floor and inflatable keel. The aluminum stringers that hold the floor together have a track to mount the bench seat that Zodiac sells. Like this Z1131:

bancsurrail.jpg

Anyone used this bench seat? Is it any good?

I was thinking about adding other types of seats to this bench seat. Like Nobrainsd did in this thread:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=265505&highlight=inflatable+mods

Or considering mounting other types of framing to these aluminum stringers.

Just lookin' for MODDIN IDEAS!!

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Zodiac Bench Seat? Stringer Track Mounts? Lookin' for MODDIN IDEAS

The zodiac bench mounts do work pretty well. They are lightweight and they are easy to move. But they don't lock down totally tight into the track. The small plastic slider and pin that fastens the legs into a position don't capture the "foot" in the track securely and the pressure created when bolting the bench to the legs doesn't prevent some play either. So, ultimately I got wear on my track. Was it my heavier seats, the large individuals I carry or the serious wave jumping we do on our way to surf? I don't know. But I have three sets of legs in my parts bin and all of my seat mounts are now fixed to the floor. I do think that the zodiac mounts are great and would probably be appropriate for most uses on smaller boats. I should break down and get a rib with a solid lower hull... I don't think my experience should put you off the zodiac mounts if they are appropriate for your use, but thought you should be aware of issues I have experienced.

track wear from racking in the track groove
track-wear.jpg

light wear on the end of the seat support
support-wear.jpg

one side of my fixed support
seat%20support.jpg

Todd RT

Cadet

Thanks for the response man... I just don't trust the bench seat that attaches to the side tubes. I'll see if I can find out how much that Zodiac Bench seat is.

Catsilky

Recruit

Hi
Do you still have the seat supports for the zodiac seats?
Thanks
Marc Kenton

The zodiac bench mounts do work pretty well. They are lightweight and they are easy to move. But they don't lock down totally tight into the track. The small plastic slider and pin that fastens the legs into a position don't capture the "foot" in the track securely and the pressure created when bolting the bench to the legs doesn't prevent some play either. So, ultimately I got wear on my track. Was it my heavier seats, the large individuals I carry or the serious wave jumping we do on our way to surf? I don't know. But I have three sets of legs in my parts bin and all of my seat mounts are now fixed to the floor. I do think that the zodiac mounts are great and would probably be appropriate for most uses on smaller boats. I should break down and get a rib with a solid lower hull... I don't think my experience should put you off the zodiac mounts if they are appropriate for your use, but thought you should be aware of issues I have experienced.

track wear from racking in the track groove
track-wear.jpg

light wear on the end of the seat support
support-wear.jpg

one side of my fixed support
seat%20support.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I highly doubt the original poster will answer since he has not been here in over a year :( and this post is three years old........

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aw that is harsh! I have participated in other threads, just haven't started any. It is sad to see that all of the images I posted are down, as my hosting service folded. As far as the seat supports go, yeah I still have three sets. Hadn't really planned on selling them.