Red Star Marine

amendegw

Seaman Apprentice
Hi!

I'm new to the inflatable world, so I'd like to get some opinions. Each year my family vacations to Lake George, NY - and rents a boat to the tune of $1200/week. So, this year we decided to buy an inflatable for only marginally additional $$.

We bought a Red Star Marine Buccaneer III 500 (PVC, made in China) from Costco & a 5hp Nissan off of craigslist. I see that Red Star advertises on this site.

My impressions are that the boat seems to be of pretty good quality (although I admit I have nothing to compare it to.)

The only problem I've had thus far is a slow leak around the valve on the inflatable floor, but the Red Star folks were very helpful and replaced the floor promptly.

The other thing I wished I'd done was to hold out for a 10hp outboard as the boat will only plane with one adult.

So, my question is... has anyone else had experience with Red Star and was this purchase a good choice?

...Jerry

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
Re: Red Star Marine

Welcome to the forum!

So, my question is... has anyone else had experience with Red Star and was this purchase a good choice?

If you and your family are having fun, you made a good purchase!

Don't worry about the quality as long as the supplier you bought it from is covering you, which it sounds like they are. It is yours now, enjoy it!

Judging from your picture, it is a beautiful lake to vacation on.

As far as the horsepower part of your post goes. It is an addiction, get used to it, you will never have enough! :D

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

It looks good what size outboard is the MAX on this boat? I would go more than 10HP for sure and like SnappingTurtle said(It is an addiction, get used to it, you will never have enough) amen to that:D

amendegw

Seaman Apprentice

It looks good what size outboard is the MAX on this boat? I would go more than 10HP for sure and like SnappingTurtle said(It is an addiction, get used to it, you will never have enough) amen to that:D

The MAX is 10hp. (seems low for an 11'9" boat - 5 persons, 1320 lbs. capacity, doesn't it?). I think I'll keep checking craigslist for a good deal.

Also, the picture shows my son ferrying the grandkids (his nephews). The whole family goes up and camps on Lake George Islands (it's State Park land). The water is crystal clear - you can see down 20 feet!.

...Jerry

amendegw

Seaman Apprentice

Congrats and welcome.

But a Warning is in order.

Very close friends once bought an inflatable at Costco. They loved it.
Now they have a 49' Beneteau to go with that great inflatable.

Ugh! There goes my golf game!

...Jerry

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's far more fun than golf, and everyone has fun. no golf widow or orphans.

the 10 hp rating is probably for weight reasons.

mthieme

Captain

Red Star....Chinese....Interesting.
At least it's not White Star.