inflatable boat made of TPU

fishly

Recruit
Hey,:p does anyone know a kind of inflatable boat made of TPU? I heard that it's durable and longlife,better than PVC,but cheaper than hypalon. Is that true:confused: Some korean manufaturer make this kind boat. I'm really interested in this new material. Say something even you just heard about it:D

kandil

Chief Petty Officer
Re: inflatable boat made of TPU

TPU is for the coating of fabrics used for the skins of inflatable boats plastic skins have better mechanical properties than their PVC counterparts and much higher scratch and tear resistance.that is what I found so it is kind like paint

fishly

Recruit

TPU is for the coating of fabrics used for the skins of inflatable boats plastic skins have better mechanical properties than their PVC counterparts and much higher scratch and tear resistance.that is what I found so it is kind like paint

Thanks! It seems like this kind boat really exsit!:D I really want to find a shop where i can buy them. If it is really good ,also the price is favorable , i'm considering to buy one!Hahah~~:p

fishly

Recruit

I've send message to that website.I'm asking the price of TPU boat!
God wish i can get that reply soon!
By the way,i'm new here! Finding it's really a great forum to get suggestions of boat! :p

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I don't think the company in your link produces boats themselves. They produce and sell the coatings and fabrics to companies that produce them. It is a good place to check the quality level of the materials being use in a boat advertising the use of TPU though.

Acording to the “Bayer Material Science” website, TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane) is a Polyurethane Blown & Coextruded Film, sold under the names Desmopan? and Texin? and produced by them. TPU combines some of the characteristics of rubber and thermoplastic materials, and some benefits from the strength of polyurethane chemistry, which forms its chemical backbone.

It is primarily used in the consumer area for inflatables, in products now flooding the market from China, mostly in children's inflatable toys, inflatable beds, and cheap inflatable tow tubes for boats.

It is not to be compared to Hypalon, or the heavy duty PVC used in the name brand SIB's today.

It is just a fancy way to say, cheap plastic. :rolleyes:

Boats made using TPU in Germany in almost all cases, are not rated as real boats.

They a categorized as “Bath Boats”, or better said “Beach Toys” to be used in pools, and near shore beach areas where lifeguards always present. Those that do receive this “real boat” rating are just as expensive as those using the more traditional materials used in inflatable water craft.

They do not meet the minimum requirements for flotation devices, due to the cheap material used.

You could compare them with the plastic water wings seen at the local swimming pools on children, with coast guard approved PFD's.

We are talking about two completely different worlds.

As long as you understand that, there is nothing wrong with buying a boat toy made with TPU. Just don't confuse it with something you will have to rely on in the event of a emergency situation in the water.