12' Sevylor HF360 VS 12' Intex Excursion 5

kwmir

Cadet
Hi all,

I would like to know if anyone knows the difference between the Sevylor HF360 Fish Hunter 6 person boat and the 12' Intex Excursion 5? Which is better; could someone shed somelight on the pros and cons of each? I am thinking of upgrading to a Sevylor once I can get rid of my Intex. But first I want to hear from others who might know the difference.

Thanks.

KM

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 12' Sevylor HF360 VS 12' Intex Excursion 5

imho, interlux is the bottom of the line. more toy than serious boat. i have a 10 footer.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... i dont have experience with the Intex. but the HF360 i do own. for the money, i have had good results with this model. it has several features and available accessories that make it a fun raft for fishing, exploring and moderate river runs. also a great mule for gear. it does have 5 fill chambers, rub and chaffe guards, optional hard deck( i made my own easily), protective boot(must have if you fish a lot or drag the vessel at times). it also has a pretty good solid wood transom available. i've used it with a minn-kota 30lb but think it would handle a 2.5hp very nicely(with slight mods). deflated it can fold up to about the size of a card table and guessing weighs about 40lbs.

kwmir

Cadet

Azlakes, thank you for the info and input on Sevylor. I am leaning towards getting a Sevylor HF360 for the reason that it comes with a bunch of accessories (protective boot, floor boards). What all comes in the box when you purchase it? Does it include a pair of oars? Does it come with a carrying bag so you can transport it easily? Does it come with a pump to inflate the boat?

I just got a motor mount for my intex excursion 5 boat yesterday and wonder if it would work with the Sevylor HF360. I also have a Minnkota Endura 30 and was wondering how it propells the your boat through the water with say 2 adults in it.

Did you say you made the floor boards your self? How so? How much did it cost and what material did yo use? if you have pictures please send them to kwmir@yahoo.com so I can get an idea as well.

Inflatablesstore.com is having a price reduction on Sevylor HF360 boats and I would like to benefit from it. Regularly this boat costs $240 and this month they are giving it for $159 plus free shipping. I figured, I'll sell my Intex Excursion 5 and get a Sevylor with the protective boot and maybe the floor boards. But I would like to know what all comes with the boat when you purchase it. Intex comes with the boat, pump, oars that can be assembled/disassembled and a carrying bag. Motor mount has to be purchased separately.

Thanks again.

KM

azlakes

... hiya kwm,

sorry i did not get back sooner. had yard work to finish in 110 degree heat!

i'll try an answer in order.

good question. i got mine 3 years ago from a neighbor who transitioned to a pwc. so i don't know exactly what comes with the raft new. i can tell you they do not come with a protective boot or decking. the boots can be a hundred bucks so shop around. 70 is the best price i have seen on a boot.

take a look at the pic below. the transom has railing with stern to oar mounts. see if you think yours will port over. the 30lb kota we use gets two of us and gear around just fine. we can go for several hours on a deep cycle marine battery.

the deck in the pic is 1/2" premium ply. its sanded and bull nosed to help prevent rubbing fatigue. with spray painting a cammo finish and a coat of water proof sealer i think it came out fine. its dimensions are 24" x 48".
the battery deck is 12" x 64" 1" pine. its stained with a waterproof finish. what you dont see is anchors to help secure the railing on the battery deck. the battery case is bolted to the plank.

i bought 6 foot oars from sportsman. the raft has oar holders which are excellent. the reach over the gunnel can be cumbersome for short paddles so go long. the pump i bought was a double action one. meaning both up and down stroke feed the chambers. i can fill this raft in 25 minutes. fold this raft dont roll it. it will tucker you out if you have to carry it solo a long distance.

just as fyi - there is a hunter up in Alaska that uses this model of raft to haul his moose kill down river. and while i would never put 6 folks in this raft as it claims, two or three and gear works if well placed.

hope this helps.

good luck

Attachments

• raft1.jpg
    raft1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1
  • deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1
  • deck1.jpg
    deck1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1

kwmir

Cadet

Thank you for the pictures and detailed description. They were definately helpful. However, could you show how the motor mount actually gets anchored or secured to the boat? Intex also uses a similar arrangement but the rods are not as long. Intex's motor mount gets anchored at two locations at the back where you have the battery box and two other locations at the stern of the boat. I guess this way the mount does not move about too much. would be possible to send me a few more pictures on how the motor mount is attached to the boat? Thanks.

I called up one of the vendors for the Sevylor boat and they informed me that the box only contains the boat and its carrying case. No oars or pump comes with the package. That's fine, cause I also purchsed a dual action pump cause the one that came with the boat took too long to inflate the boat. I can inflate my Intex in around 10 min.

From my research on comparing Intex and Sevylor, it appears that the Sevylor HF360 is more rugged and like you said a prtective boot would definately be a plus. Do you remember where you saw the boot for $70? The cheapest i was able to find was $90.

KM

azlakes

... try these pics.

you'll hopefully see two rubber sleeves at the base of the stern. these accept the ss transom rails. the other pic is the oar mount. i since retro-fitted a plumbers collar(like a hose collar) to accept the ss rail and this collar fitting now screws into the oar locker to which i JB welded the female for this collar. much more secure.

i still had a link to the boot and seems to available so good news there.

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/SLRBHF360.html

let us know how it turns out.

cheers

Attachments

• deck3.jpg
    deck3.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1
  • deck5.jpg
    deck5.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1
  • deck4.jpg
    deck4.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1

kwmir

Cadet

Thanks again for the new pics. It seems from the looks of it that this boat hardly has enough room to seat one person at the rear seat cushion. My intex appears to be a bit wider at the stern and at the center. I could be wrong but it seems to from the pics. Though the specs for both say they are both 12' long and 5' wide.

Cheers.

KM

flwestcoastboater

Seaman Apprentice

The Sevylor Fish hunters are VERY CRAMPED! I have that 9 foot one, NO matter which one you get, the width of the boat to sit in is 1 foot 10 inches, so it is EXTREMELY difficult to move around. If you do get a fish hunter, add a wood floor for stability, it makes Night and Day difference.

azlakes

The Sevylor Fish hunters are VERY CRAMPED! I have that 9 foot one, NO matter which one you get, the width of the boat to sit in is 1 foot 10 inches, so it is EXTREMELY difficult to move around. If you do get a fish hunter, add a wood floor for stability, it makes Night and Day difference.

... i'll agree that a wood deck and a boot helps a lot for stability. these pics are from last week in pretty good winds. the raft was stable in seen chop. yes, these price point rafts dont have abundant space so you'll have to manage it pretty well. i'm working on a new idea for seating and will post a pic when done and tested.

cheers

Attachments

• aug21a.jpg
    aug21a.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1
  • aug21b.jpg
    aug21b.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1
  • aug21c.jpg
    aug21c.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1

Chris in Indiana

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't own one of these boats, but do have a Sea Eagle in my fleet of inflatables. Just wanted to add that PVC sheet can be purchased from a local plastics shop for making floor boards and the stuff is great! About $80 for a 4x8 at 3/8ths thickness. Very light and no painting, cuts out easy and a router works just fine on the edges.

RebOmy

Recruit

If you are interested to have a Canopy for this boat, you can find it on ebay, just search for "Sevylor Canopy".

scramy

Recruit
Which inflatable is best

Which inflatable is best

I am going to buy an inflatable boat and have settled on a Sevylor HF 280 or a Excursion 4. I only fish in small lakes. Any feed back woud be appreciated.
Wayne

ShannonF

Recruit

Not sure where you are located, but I have a Sevylor HF360 with a 2HP motor that has only been used once. Would love to sell it for a reasonable price. Was thinking $225-250 for the boat and motor. Comes with the oars, 2 seat cushions, and even have throwable lifesaver cushion if you want it. Still has the tags on it.

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Which inflatable is best

I am going to buy an inflatable boat and have settled on a Sevylor HF 280 or a Excursion 4. I only fish in small lakes. Any feed back woud be appreciated.
Wayne

Both of those are just too soft. Get Intex Sea Hawk II or Intex Mariner, they are much more ridgid and stable in water. You can't go wrong with them for the price. Don't over inflate it and keep it out of the sun when not in use, it will last long.

shawn.amsberry

Recruit

I just purchased a Sevylor 360 and absolutely love it. Everything I was leary about when considering an inflatable was proven to be a non issue. I do not have a floor yet or even a boat boot and my wife and I were quite comfortable in it in wind and chop on a fair sized Oregon lake. We mounted a 40 lb Minn Kota to it and at the fifth power level it was nearly as stable in the water as my 14' fiberglass pleasure boat. It handled wakes of speed/ski boats well and never once felt like it was over flexing. i imagine being even further impressed when I get the boot and floor in place. I appreciate the pics because as a DIY kind of guy, I'm planning on doing similar things for a floor and battery deck. If you are in the market, buy now because it looks like these are being discontinued shortly.

After using my new Excursion 5 for the first time, I am disappointed at how floppy it was. Two people carrying it while inflated made it taco fold. It was 95 degrees, so i guess the pvc was really too hot to expect anything different, but using the oarlocks is pretty ridiculous because they move all around making it useless. I will not be going back out on this thing without a trolling motor. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be so soft, but hey, it's not called a SIB for nothing. All the youtube vids made it look a lot more firm, but today the fill meter was actually a little past the fill mark to no avail.

Having said all that, I really like it and believe it will make a great raft because it was very spacious and very comfortable. It's just not a rowboat by any means lol.

*edit* I should note that when i blew it up inside the house when i first got it, it was nice and firm in the cooler climate. Guess i left it outside too long before i used it. No more than 2 hours though, but it got pretty hot that day in the car.

jerrywh

Recruit

I got mine about 2 weeks ago and i'm impressed. The first time I went out fishig I had it under inflated. It still did a fair job. I and my buddy weigh abour 450 lbs. He sat in one end and I in the other.
The so called fill meter is not to be depended on when filling the boat with air. I recomend a air guage available from Sevylor for about 12 dollars. OR get a air pump that puts out .9 lbs of pressure. .9lbs = the specs for this inflatable. It will make a big difference. The floor board is manditory as far as i'm concerned. I just ordered everything I could get for it.
It is just right for two big men plus fishing gear. do you really want 6 people in a rubber boat. If you do I think your looking at a price of around $2000.00 or $3000.00 for a good inflatable.
I got mine on sale at Bimart for $127.00 a great deal.