Steering Controls or Stick Controls for Inflatable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

comstox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone had any experience or seen any Inflatables that have been adapted for a steering wheel or Stick Controls? I have a 2001 QuickSilver Inflatable that we use on long river trips and I'd love to drive it like a boat and abandon the tiller controls.
Please include pics if at all possible.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo279499.jpg
    photo279499.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0

comstox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
SCOTT... do you just hang on the iBoats forum 24x7???? :D You should just give me your phone number! :lol:

I am considering selling it. I just sold the 2006 Merc 9.9 - 4 stroke for more than I bought the whole package for, so I'm ahead already in that aspect. This is why I have been asking questions about the "little boats" on another forum post. Maybe I'll just list the inflatable and see what offers I get? Problem is the guy can't find the deck boards for the inflatable. I'll need to fabricate some.
Thanks again Scott!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your boat wasnt designed for deck boards, you can easily damage it by fabricating some.

if you area looking at buying it, I would skip it. being 17 years old, its at the end of the hull life

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A center console usually has rear seat and front seat which takes lots of needed space in a short Sib like yours. You can tiller drive very comfy with just a spare cushioned seat installed close to tiller at hand reach, besides will have lots of space to store whatever you like carrying when outing. Check with Iboats, West Marine, Defender if available.

Something like this....

450 Seat.JPG

Can screw it to alum, wooden deck, just don't use too large screws as to pass floorboards thickness and drill lower deck fabric.

Other issue about going for center consoles is the excessive cost of the wheel and driving mechanism, remote box, cables which adds no less than $ 700 to have slight more fun but sacrificing invaluable deck space which is a must have..

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Lynx7386

Cadet
I came across an intex excursion 5 modified boat on youtube not long ago where the owner had set up a wire and pulley system to allow steering the boat with a small wheel, rather than having to use the tiller. Seemed like a pretty simple setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.