Gluing PVC vs Hypalon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluing PVC vs Hypalon

I have a mid-90's Quicksilver RIB. I was told by several folks that it is PVC, so when I did repairs on it I used PVC glue (HH-66). Everything works great now and no leaks.

However, I ran across some marketing material for Quicksilver from the 90's. They show what appears to be my boat, but it's a couple years off from manufacturer date. In this, they list most of the boats as Hypalon, with some of their smaller boats as PVC. So now I'm wondering if I actually have a Hypalon boat and what I should expect from the joints I glued up with PVC.

The boat is a pearl color though. From some stuff I've read, Hypalon was only available in certain colors but PVC could be made in just about any color. Would this be a better indicator of the material? Cleaning the repaired spots with Acetone yeilded very similar results to my other PVC boat... gets sticky then dries. I've never worked with Hypalon (that I know of), so I don't know if it reacts differently.

Whether mine is PVC or Hypalon, I'm wondering what would happen if you used HH-66 or any other PVC glue on Hypalon. Would it work? Would it last?

If fabric has 2 sided colors and is very smooth to finger rub, it's Hypalon for sure. PVC will hold till becomes unglued again....

Happy Boating
    Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

Comment

A clear example about don't use PVC glue when gluing tubes on a Rib hull. Owner was cheated by shade tree inflatable techie, told him that used Hypalon glue when installed new tube collar one year ago...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7173.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	279642

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7174.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	279644

Now will have to spend minimum $ 500 re gluing with proper 2 part glue and skilled techie...

Happy Boating
      Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

Comment

Working...
      X