Gluing PVC vs Hypalon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluing PVC vs Hypalon

I have a mid-90's Quicksilver RIB. I was told by several folks that it is PVC, so when I did repairs on it I used PVC glue (HH-66). Everything works great now and no leaks.

However, I ran across some marketing material for Quicksilver from the 90's. They show what appears to be my boat, but it's a couple years off from manufacturer date. In this, they list most of the boats as Hypalon, with some of their smaller boats as PVC. So now I'm wondering if I actually have a Hypalon boat and what I should expect from the joints I glued up with PVC.

The boat is a pearl color though. From some stuff I've read, Hypalon was only available in certain colors but PVC could be made in just about any color. Would this be a better indicator of the material? Cleaning the repaired spots with Acetone yeilded very similar results to my other PVC boat... gets sticky then dries. I've never worked with Hypalon (that I know of), so I don't know if it reacts differently.

Whether mine is PVC or Hypalon, I'm wondering what would happen if you used HH-66 or any other PVC glue on Hypalon. Would it work? Would it last?

If fabric has 2 sided colors and is very smooth to finger rub, it's Hypalon for sure. PVC will hold till becomes unglued again....

Happy Boating
    Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

Comment

A clear example about don't use PVC glue when gluing Hypalon tubes on a Rib hull. Owner was cheated by shade tree inflatable techie, told him that used Hypalon glue when installed new tube collar one year ago...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7173.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	279642

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7174.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	279644

Now will have to spend minimum $ 500 re gluing with proper 2 part glue and skilled techie...

Happy Boating
      Last edited by Sea Rider; October 22nd, 2017, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Mercury PVC was almost always Grey
        Elvin
        My answers are like Zen...It may not be the answer you want, but it is generally the answer you need.

The 3 Rules:

1) Look in your service manual first...Then ask me if it is correct.
        2) Understand that your desire to repair your engine does not mean that you have the ability to do so.
        3) If you are confused, take your engine into a dealer..Then let them be confused...At least, in theory, they sent someone to outboard 101.

Comment

Hello
          I'm preparing for a restoration of my PVC Zodiac 2001 with the same product you used, the HH-66. I'm curious to know when you used it? I was looking to get more information about it and I concluded that it is an excellent product, but unfortunately less known. Forum members need to know that it is a single-component glue, but that does not mean it's the same as those used for temporary repairs! I would say it may not have an experience in rebounding the hypalon, but that does not mean you may not be lucky!

Comment

Will have my doubts this product will hold exactly same as 2 part pvc or hypalon glues. According to tech specs it's a vinyl glue to glue vinyl on top of vinyl, that I know pvc and hypalon fabrics are not considered vinyl fabrics. When mixing 2 part glues, there's a chemical reaction going on between fabrics while they are welded.

Personally wouldn't risk losing an outboard or having deflated tubes issues if in need to re glue a complete transom or tubes seams using this product, glued parts longevity is what counts if doing year round boating compared to occasionally boating, why do you think all inflatable manufactures that hand welds use 2 parts glue ?

Happy Boating

Comment

Working...
            X