Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

SITE MAINTENANCE

The iBoats Forums will be down for maintenance starting at 1 PM MST on 12/16/2017. The estimated amount of downtime is 3 hours. Thanks for being a part of the iBoats community!
See more
See less

Industry standard for leakage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Industry standard for leakage?

Is there such a thing? Seems to me I ran across something a month or so ago that mentioned it. Just took delivery of an upgrade to 14' SIB and very heavy duty compared to the 12.5' SIB I had. Have a 12 day shake down cruise in Lake Superior with it starting this weekend!! Picture of first inflate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	36184614950_72c5f478cb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	10466329
    www.denniskilbride.com

Nice sibs. I see you are in superior, are you just going on day cruises? Or out 12 days straight? I don't know about leakage, but I've seen quite a few that stay up pretty well, you should have a pump along regardless.
    If ya can't fix it with a hammer,ya got yourself an electrical problem.

Comment

Apostles Islands. I use a base camp mainland marina. All depends on wind and wave height how far out I get on day trips. I can always make Devils Island sea caves 10 miles out but sometimes a three hour trip back idling through the rollers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	35509344182_e7ef98cafd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	10466356
      www.denniskilbride.com

Comment

Congrats nice pics. No matter how well you air top an inflatable, will always deflate itself specially boating on cold days, winter time. What was inflated to, will not remain same during the day, worse during afternoons. Inflatables are prone to air, water heat/cold temp fluctuations.

PC, do you inflate that carrier with a pressure gauge, sight or thumb gauge ? as to check how much PSI Sib loses throughout the day. That large Sib needs to be inflated to 3.0 PSI minimum to have good tube & keel rigidity to work nicely along OB nice fuel consumption.

Happy Boating
        Last edited by Sea Rider; September 14th, 2017, 06:37 PM.
        Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

Comment

Nice pic's, I'm employed at Washburn marina, Not far from the islands myself. I like cruising around out there also.

Comment

Once you toss it in Superior, your going to have to pump it up. Water temp is really freekin cold
            1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
            1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
            2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
            1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
              Once you toss it in Superior, your going to have to pump it up. Water temp is really freekin cold
              Tell that to the teenagers, they are swimming/diving off the breakwall on a daily basis down by us. outside the Marina....I'm to chicken to jump in myself, I stick to the inland lakes for swimming..lol

Comment

I grew up swimming in lake Michigan. Inlet temp for the city water supply varied from 34F in winter to 44F in summer. Superior is a tad colder yet
                1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
                1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Rider View Post
                  Congtas nice pics. No matter how well you air top an inflatable, will always deflate itself specially boating on cold days, winter time. What was inflated to, will not remain same during the day, worse during afternoons. Inflatables are prone to air, water heat/cold temp fluctuations.

PC, do you inflate that carrier with a pressure gauge, sight or thumb gauge ? as to check how much PSI Sib loses throughout the day. That large Sib needs to be inflated to 3.0 PSI minimum to have good tube & keel rigidity to work nicely along OB nice fuel consumption.

Happy Boating

Use a nice hand gauge I invested in. First inflate sat overnight for 12 hours, keel and all main tubes only lost 1/2 pound. Temps dropped from 75F to 59F (Minnesota next to Canada) and had considerable dew on tubes so very pleased with the minimum air loss. Company recommended 3.6 pounds and what surprised me is the five main tubes all began venting the emergency relief valve at 4 pounds. That's great because with the old SIB I never heard it vent and had to check it every few hours in the hot sun. Found it at 5.0 pounds one day, not certain when damage occurs.
                  www.denniskilbride.com

Comment

Pressure relief valves usually opens bit later than max PSI specified for tubes. Good to have them specially on a dark color Sib which heats up badly more than any other color in plain summer..

Happy Boating

Comment

The answer to your question is yes. The standard is that anything less than a 20% loss over 24 hours is acceptable. That basically gives the manufacturer and out for a leaky boat. Most service stations eyeball a loss over two or three days of more than .5 PSI as being an issue.
                      Elvin
                      My answers are like Zen...It may not be the answer you want, but it is generally the answer you need.

The 3 Rules:

1) Look in your service manual first...Then ask me if it is correct.
                      2) Understand that your desire to repair your engine does not mean that you have the ability to do so.
                      3) If you are confused, take your engine into a dealer..Then let them be confused...At least, in theory, they sent someone to outboard 101.

Comment

The Sib/Rib factory I work with accepts 0.2-0.3PSI pressure loss monitored for 48 Hrs on a tempered control rooms which is different to PSI loss on outside cold temp variations, cold water.

Happy Boating

Comment

Heating expands the air, increasing pressure and then the relief vents some.

Then when it gets cooler, the tubes will get "soft" as the air contracts.

Because of this cycle, the boat will lose air. The worst loss will occur when it heats and the air goes out the relief (which is preventing the thing from popping like an over-filled balloon).

Even a sealed aluminum soda can has a leak rate. Over time the can will eventually (years) have no carbonation left in the soda.

Because ANY pressurized container will leak, we have inspection requirements for any pressurized fire extinguisher. It may take 20 years or more for a CO2 extinguisher to leak out to not having any pressure, but it will happen.

Your inflatable boat has a lot more opportunities for leakage than the soda can or CO2 extinguisher. Its going to self deflate almost completely over several months to a couple of years if you don't add air.

Comment

Looks like I lucked out with a good tight one. Put 12 days in Lake Superior and 175 miles on it running around the Apostle Islands. Checked air every 24 hours before departure. Some days zero loss and other days after big storms and cold fronts I saw up to .8 pounds at worst. I'm satisfied.
                            www.denniskilbride.com

Comment

Personally don't like tubes with built in pressure relief valves, as you won't know which number valve has been installed at factory, happens that all valves opens at different pressures.

The issue with them is that if you plan a whole sibbing day once tubes has released over inflation pressure during a hot morning when still boating during afternoon tubes will be soft and Sib won't perform as neat as when fully morning inflated, need to carry a foot or hand pump to top max air in if performance is an issue.

On a deeep keel Rib as water doesn't float tubes 2.0 PSI inflation is more than enough to achieve firm tubes, that way when ribbing on a warm day you still have 1.0-1.5 PSI over inflation to play safely as 3.5PSI is what most inflatable manufacturers recommends to inflate their boats to. During afternoon will need to re inflate tubes back to 2.0 PSI if wanting butts to rest firm on tubes and not rocking on marshmellow ones LOL!!

Happy Boating

Comment

Working...
                              X