Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you using to write registration numbers on the boat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you using to write registration numbers on the boat?

I was using adhesive letters and it looks like they are peeling right off. What is the best way to make them stick? Or is there another way to get the registration numbers on the boat? Thanks.

What type material is the hull made from? In 50+ years I don't think I've had stickers peel off any boat. You can buy custom stickers from many sign shops, the grade of vinyl and the adhesive can be chosen for how long you want it to last.

Comment

when I worked at the sign company we must have painted a few hundred registration letters on inflatables. one shot paint, look for the vinyl banner primer. (or find a sign company, we used to charge $20, however that was in the late 80's)
      1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
      1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
      2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
      1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I cut some long 4" tall strips out of a tote lid and stuck the letters and tax stickers to that, and I hang it from my forward seat straps with a small cord and a carabiner. I called my states DNR to ask if that was OK and they said it was fine. Some claim the coast guard is not so forgiving so I used some stencils and some "Dip-it" spray paint to put them on the boat for coastal use and it is easy to remove. I do not want a permanent number on my tubes because at some point I will either sell the boat or switch states of registration.

Comment

Originally posted by ondarvr View Post
          What type material is the hull made from? In 50+ years I don't think I've had stickers peel off any boat. You can buy custom stickers from many sign shops, the grade of vinyl and the adhesive can be chosen for how long you want it to last.
          ​When I saw the question I didn't pay attention to the exact forum, so my answer wasn't targeted to your exact question. The material can still make a difference, but follow SD's info.

Comment

Every State has their own crazy rules on how big the letters need to and some States insist they cannot be readily removed. I am legally able to simply attach a 2x4 and have been using that system for 10 years. I had mine painted on until last year when a rough storm got boat fender/bumper rub between boat and dock. I bought adhesive stick on's and will see how they work. Guess they're cheap enough. Haaaaa...just noticed the Zodiac has the State decal on wrong end.
            www.denniskilbride.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
              when I worked at the sign company we must have painted a few hundred registration letters on inflatables. one shot paint, look for the vinyl banner primer. (or find a sign company, we used to charge $20, however that was in the late 80's)
              The only negative with painting is if and when I sell the boat it may be difficult to take it off.

Comment

Originally posted by boatlova' View Post

The only negative with painting is if and when I sell the boat it may be difficult to take it off.
                ​Why does that matter, they'll need numbers too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pack Rat View Post
                  Every State has their own crazy rules on how big the letters need to and some States insist they cannot be readily removed. I am legally able to simply attach a 2x4 and have been using that system for 10 years. I had mine painted on until last year when a rough storm got boat fender/bumper rub between boat and dock. I bought adhesive stick on's and will see how they work. Guess they're cheap enough. Haaaaa...just noticed the Zodiac has the State decal on wrong end.
                  I need to check with CA more carefully. I don't think there are any such restrictions.

Comment

I just bought a inflatable boat. I am in Los Angeles area. Well I don't know California rule but went ahead and bought these number plates from boatnumberplate.com/ These will be permanently attached. As ondarvr says, when you sell your boat, the registration number will go with it just like selling cars. ( I tried to attach a picture of the actual registration plate but I was not allowed to because this is my first post.) The size of the letters are 2" x 2".

Comment

Originally posted by boatlova' View Post

unless you change state, the number stays the same

however for the 2 or 3 that changed state, we simply painted a white rectangle and painted new numbers. most of the time the dinghy gets tossed and replaced because the material degrades after about 15 years.
                      1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                      1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                      2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
                      1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by anzai123 View Post
                        I just bought a inflatable boat. I am in Los Angeles area. Well I don't know California rule but went ahead and bought these number plates from boatnumberplate.com/ These will be permanently attached. As ondarvr says, when you sell your boat, the registration number will go with it just like selling cars. ( I tried to attach a picture of the actual registration plate but I was not allowed to because this is my first post.) The size of the letters are 2" x 2".
                        Thanks. I will try the website.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	registration number.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	272447
                          Installing the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by anzai123 View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]n10453531[/ATTACH]
                            Installing the plate.
                            How much did the numbering cost?

By the way nice looking boat! Is that a Saturn?

Comment

Around $40

Comment

Working...
                              X