Impressions of Saturn XD430 Extra Long Inflatable boat after first use

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Over the weekend I had a chance to take my Saturn XD430 extra-long dinghy out to the lake during our family camping trip. It was 100 plus degrees here in our area and the sun shining right on us was not very pleasant. But we had a great time. Here are my initial impressions:
  1. Overall I really liked it. The boat was very stable and the ride was very comfortable.
  2. The boat is rated for 7 people, but that is purely 7 people and very minimal stuff. With me, my wife, two kids (11 and 6), and nephew (7 years) plus a cooler, few snacks, couple of bags, marine battery, and a few extra floatation devices it was pretty comfortable. We could probably fit another person in there comfortably. But I cannot see 7 adults plus gear in the boat.
  3. I used a Minn Kota endura C2 30 lbs thrust and it pushed the 650 lbs (including the boat) along gently, although not very fast. But I am impressed at the fact that the small motor was able to push us. I am definitely thinking of investing in a higher powered electric motor or even a powered gas motor which is simple and easy to use. Any suggestions are appreciated. 10-15 hp would be nice.
  4. The air floor is pretty rigid and I can stand up on it but I am thinking of reinforcing it with something to give it a bit more solid feel. There are already three plywood pieces underneath the floor for solid feel. I may add a few more pieces in between.
  5. Getting it in and out of our minivan, inflating, carrying it to the deck and reversing the process on return was a ?pia?. I have already invested in transom wheels. I am looking into the folding utility trailer from harbor freight. The only thing I am wondering if I will be able to modify it to fit a 14 feet boat. To be honest, inflating and deflating is not that hard. With Coleman 12v pump, it just takes 15-20 minutes. I am actually really interested in finding out if there is an easier way to transport it rather than in the back of my van. Is there a cargo hitch trailer without wheels that will lower and raise so that I can easily roll the folded boat on and off the trailer when I am by myself.
  6. A bimini top is needed very soon. Any suggestions on something that is big enough for a 14 feet boat?
  7. In hindsight, I wish I had spent an extra $100 and got the regular 14 footer just because I think it would have had more space.
  8. Overall, I really like the boat and we are going to enjoy it.

I am confused, you mention air floor but also that it has plywood sections? That does not compute?
+1 on the Bimini, I got a cheap one on Ebay and it's nice but I wish I had purchased the taller one so I could have room to move around easier while in the shade. Hauling a 14' SIB on the highway at speed will need a trailer... I could set my 11' on top of my truck beds tonneua cover but 14' would hang over a bunch. You might find a cheap jet ski trailer and make longer bunks for it?

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am confused, you mention air floor but also that it has plywood sections? That does not compute?
+1 on the Bimini, I got a cheap one on Ebay and it's nice but I wish I had purchased the taller one so I could have room to move around easier while in the shade. Hauling a 14' SIB on the highway at speed will need a trailer... I could set my 11' on top of my truck beds tonneua cover but 14' would hang over a bunch. You might find a cheap jet ski trailer and make longer bunks for it?

Underneath the air floor there are three plywood (painted) pieces about a foot wide covering the width of the floor in three different places. I think it is placed there to give it some firmness. I was thinking of adding a few more of those in the spaces in between.

What was the size of the Bimini that you purchased?

If there was a picture of a modified jetski trailer, it would be nice. Is there anyone here on the forum who has done it?

Underneath the air floor there are three plywood (painted) pieces about a foot wide covering the width of the floor in three different places. I think it is placed there to give it some firmness. I was thinking of adding a few more of those in the spaces in between.

What was the size of the Bimini that you purchased?

If there was a picture of a modified jetski trailer, it would be nice. Is there anyone here on the forum who has done it?

Ahh, I think I understand, like a strap on the back of the floor to stiffen.

My Bimini was one of the narrow ones and I still had to cut down the width and re-rivet back together, it was really easy and a good DIY project. But, on the round tube bimini's there are only a few widths and heights to choose from, and if you mount it to the boat like Saturn shows you will need to know how wide the boat is to the center of the tubes and just shop ebay for a 60 inch wide bimini top...or whatever your target width is. They don't really make a top specific to an inflatable but is a fairly simple task to either mount to the oar locks or just make a pad for the center pivot to sit on.

I dont have any pics of modded trailers but I have owned a fold-able harbor freight trailer, they are "OK" but check this out... http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612542_200612542

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ahh, I think I understand, like a strap on the back of the floor to stiffen.

Yes exactly! I have three pieces strapped to the back of the floor which makes it pretty rigid, but if I add a couple of more pieces, it will make it very rigid.

My Bimini was one of the narrow ones and I still had to cut down the width and re-rivet back together, it was really easy and a good DIY project. But, on the round tube bimini's there are only a few widths and heights to choose from, and if you mount it to the boat like Saturn shows you will need to know how wide the boat is to the center of the tubes and just shop ebay for a 60 inch wide bimini top...or whatever your target width is. They don't really make a top specific to an inflatable but is a fairly simple task to either mount to the oar locks or just make a pad for the center pivot to sit on.

I dont have any pics of modded trailers but I have owned a fold-able harbor freight trailer, they are "OK" but check this out... http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2542_200612542

Did you mod the foldable harbor freight trailor to fit your boat? Why did you think they were just ok? It would be much easier to mod that than this jet ski trailer, right? It seems like this is only 6 feet. How do you extend it to fit a 14 feet? I am pretty good with working on diy things like these but it would be nice if there was a very detailed picture / instructions etc. I looked at one of the earlier posts where someone modded the harbor freight trailer, but unfortuntely it wasn't very detailed. If I can get a bit more detail I would probably get the harbor freight trailor and mod it since I am only interested in foldable trailers at the moment. I don't have any space to keep the regular trailer.

You mentioned the utility trailer... I just wanted to point out that It's easier for a lot of people to extend and adjust the bunks on a trailer (That already has them) than it is to take a flat, fold-able trailer and deal with sharp edges and possibly adding adjustable bunks. If you lay your boat (That has a keel) on a flat trailer it dies not sit really well. Does HFT still sell this in stores? I have not seen one in a while... https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb...ler-62668.html

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You mentioned the utility trailer... I just wanted to point out that It's easier for a lot of people to extend and adjust the bunks on a trailer (That already has them) than it is to take a flat, fold-able trailer and deal with sharp edges and possibly adding adjustable bunks. If you lay your boat (That has a keel) on a flat trailer it dies not sit really well. Does HFT still sell this in stores? I have not seen one in a while... https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb...ler-62668.html

[url]https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lbs-capacity-boat-trailer-62668.html
62668_zzz_500.jpg
[/URL]

I think they still carry it. If I keep this in the garage it will take up a lot of space (if it is possible at all to keep in the garage). I can't leave it outside due to community restrictions. I dont have a way to take it to the backyard. So a foldable one is probably my option.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
My first trailer for my 14ft sib was an Easy Loader meant for one pwc. I used it one time going thirty miles and decided it was not going to work without a good amount of modification which having to have someone do it I might end up spending a thousand dollars so started looking for a built for inflatable boat trailer. I think I found only one and it wasn't inexpensive but it was just what I wanted so I spent the money. It's a Trailx aluminum inflatable boat trailer very light and cost three times what your thinking of spending but I'm glad I bought it. It has four bunks two on each side that cradles the boat tubes. One thing I really like is it has a transom support so your motors weight isn't just supported by a transom held on by glue. Another thing is everything is adjustable. In one of my pics you see that the axle is to far forward so I loosened some bolts and moved it to the rear which then was perfect. If the width would work for you you could loosen a few bolts and slide the tongue out from the frame without a problem. Good luck with what ever you choose.

20140120_171552 (3)1.JPG

20141230_142616.jpg

20150115_171718.jpg

20150115_163300.jpg

20141230_142655.jpg

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My first trailer for my 14ft sib was an Easy Loader meant for one pwc. I used it one time going thirty miles and decided it was not going to work without a good amount of modification which having to have someone do it I might end up spending a thousand dollars so started looking for a built for inflatable boat trailer. I think I found only one and it wasn't inexpensive but it was just what I wanted so I spent the money. It's a Trailx aluminum inflatable boat trailer very light and cost three times what your thinking of spending but I'm glad I bought it. It has four bunks two on each side that cradles the boat tubes. One thing I really like is it has a transom support so your motors weight isn't just supported by a transom held on by glue. Another thing is everything is adjustable. In one of my pics you see that the axle is to far forward so I loosened some bolts and moved it to the rear which then was perfect. If the width would work for you you could loosen a few bolts and slide the tongue out from the frame without a problem. Good luck with what ever you choose.

I am not looking at a regular sized trailer which is not foldable due to space limitations. Thanks for the suggestion. Appreciate it.