15mph upstream from a trolling motor? Kaboat test

awmaster10

Seaman Apprentice
So I finally ended up receiving the "4hp equivalent" electric outboard motor I got from china on my 14ft kaboat. Initial test impressions are very positive. Near instant acceleration, easy controls, and great build quality. It seemed quite fast on the water and really surprised me, but what really surprised me was when I got home and saw a friend had posted a video from on the boat with 14mph as the GPS speed while running upstream in (day after) flood conditions. This really would be great performance for a $300 electric motor if it is true, and even if it is a misreading I am very happy with the performance overall. I would never settle for a regular trolling motor after running this thing.

Only downsides are the relatively high noise level (motor is above the water unlike a trolling motor) and the need for 48v (4 batteries).

It was really weird being in a section of the river that technically allows electric motors but feeling like a total **** because I was throwing significant wake at full speed and more than quadrupling everybodys speed. I ended up setting cruise at about quarter throttle and just cruising up stream effortlessly.

Second test was at an electric only lake and as expected I was by far the fastest boat on the lake. Narrow boat + crazy electric motor = fun times. Im surprised patrol hasnt approached me yet but im sure itll happen soon as the motor looks exactly like a gas outboard.

9QM4QiK.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Congrats, nice watercraft, 4 bats really must weight a lot, if you sit OB at the Tip Top height spot along a correct trim, will achieve the best prop thrust, are there extra pitch props to play with ?

Happy Boating

awmaster10

Seaman Apprentice
Sea rider,

The 4 batteries are quite heavy, but could have been worse had I opted for more amp hours. The pack is 52lbs but it is worth it since it opens up a whole world of possibilities and routes being able to travel upstream easily. No more portaging two dams just to get a good 6hr float. Note that it is not 4 marine deep cycle batteries that you would use for a trolling motor. It is 4 of batteries like this:
2-x-new-panasonic-lc-xc1222p-12v-22ah-lead-battery-mobility-scooters-golf-carts-[2]-18197-p.jpg

If it were 4 of the large batteries used for trolling motors that would be just WAY too large and heavy, but 4 of these fit perfectly into the red cooler you see in the picture of the boat. The brushless motor in this is so much more efficient than a trolling motor. With only 22ah capacity (much less than typical marine bat) I was able to spend 6hrs doing a lot of movement up stream, lots of fast top speed runs, etc. This same 22ah pack if set to approximately the speed of a regular trolling motor will last VERY long, since that is only about 1/4 throttle.

OB sits at about the right height and has trim adjustment which I havent played with yet. Since it is no monster of an engine I imagine trimming it right will not make a huge difference, but certainly will help. Seems as though at full throttle there is a small "ridge" of water cast behind the motor between the tails of the tubes. Does this mean it is trimmed out too much? Bow rise seemed about normal with 2 people, and not too excessive with only me at the back (and the weight of the batteries).

In terms of a prop maximization I may be out of luck as they do not provide any. It is however built on the shell of a gas outboard, so I may be able to find props that fit the hangkai gas motors and they will most likely fit. Seems as though acceleration performance is good but top speed needs a little extra.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Excellent idea to have all those batts inside a proper size cooler to prevent moving around deck specially when cruising at choppy, windy, wavy water cond. Best trim is when OB is at 90?dials best prop thrust. When combo is out of water, post a sideway pic of lower leg showing both plates to have a look. It is possible to hook a solar panel resting on cooler to recharge batts during a prolongued stop, say as when sipping cold ones ?

Happy Boating

awmaster10

Seaman Apprentice
Will take a picture from the side to show how it sits and the trim when I get a chance.

I am very interested in a small solar setup and from what ive seen a little booster charge goes a long way on this motor. For now though i am operating at limited range so it isnt my priority.

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got it from aliexpress, a site for purchasing from chinese wholesalers

I am really interested in looking into buying this kind electric motor. Do you mind sharing the details as to the dealer on aliexpress, price etc? You can pm me as well. Thanks.

kscessnadriver

Recruit
I had been looking at the same boat and trying to figure out a motor situation for it, and this convinced me to go all in on the boat and motor you have. Curious to see your battery pack setup and wiring, and where you got the batteries and for what price.

awmaster10

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, sorry I hadnt seen this earlier. I will summarize answers to both of your posts by just giving the whole setup.

Motor: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...32620614525.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.S2zF3A

Batteries: https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Sealed-...=UTF8&qid=1501260414&sr=8-4&keywords=12v+22ah

Wiring: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Cabl...1&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=inverter+cables&psc=1

For the wiring, those cables are different sized ends so I had to crimp my own end on the larger side so it would fit on the battery. Probably best to look locally and find ones that fit.

For the batteries, I went with 22ah because I can fit all 4 in a cooler and they arent too heavy. You could choose probably minimum 18ah and as high ah as you want as long as you have the space for them. If you went with 35ah they would be bigger but still manageable and you would get really good life.

Before both of you jump head first into purchasing this motor, I just want you to know I have only had it for about a month now and so I cannot speak to long term reliability. If it breaks, it will be near impossible to get a warranty claim done since it sells from china. If you guys understand all that and are willing to take the risk, I think you will enjoy it. Just dont want to seem like I am recommending an unproven product to those who are looking for a no-trouble trolling motor. This thing is much more powerful, but it is also an unproven brand and is presumably under more stress because of its extra power.

If you are at all able to use gas where you are, that is a much more proven solution as well. Craigslist has a lot of motor options in the price range of this full setup. I am not trying to discourage you, just pointing out the facts. This motor is great for me because I am on some electric only lakes, but If I could run gas all the time I would because of the much higher range.

2VfTQoQl.jpg

Here is a picture from last weekend on the Chesapeake Bay. I didnt venture far offshore but it had no problem running us up and down the beach all afternoon.

kscessnadriver

Recruit
Awesome, thank you for the info. I've got a state park with a chain of lakes that is electric, sail or human propulsion only. I wanted to get started with that, then if I enjoy the boat, maybe pick up a gas outboard for some larger lakes down the road. How long did it take for you to get the motor once you ordered it?

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, sorry I hadnt seen this earlier. I will summarize answers to both of your posts by just giving the whole setup.

Motor: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...32620614525.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.S2zF3A

Batteries: https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Sealed-...=UTF8&qid=1501260414&sr=8-4&keywords=12v+22ah

Wiring: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Cabl...1&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=inverter+cables&psc=1

For the wiring, those cables are different sized ends so I had to crimp my own end on the larger side so it would fit on the battery. Probably best to look locally and find ones that fit.

For the batteries, I went with 22ah because I can fit all 4 in a cooler and they arent too heavy. You could choose probably minimum 18ah and as high ah as you want as long as you have the space for them. If you went with 35ah they would be bigger but still manageable and you would get really good life.

Before both of you jump head first into purchasing this motor, I just want you to know I have only had it for about a month now and so I cannot speak to long term reliability. If it breaks, it will be near impossible to get a warranty claim done since it sells from china. If you guys understand all that and are willing to take the risk, I think you will enjoy it. Just dont want to seem like I am recommending an unproven product to those who are looking for a no-trouble trolling motor. This thing is much more powerful, but it is also an unproven brand and is presumably under more stress because of its extra power.

If you are at all able to use gas where you are, that is a much more proven solution as well. Craigslist has a lot of motor options in the price range of this full setup. I am not trying to discourage you, just pointing out the facts. This motor is great for me because I am on some electric only lakes, but If I could run gas all the time I would because of the much higher range.

2VfTQoQl.jpg

Here is a picture from last weekend on the Chesapeake Bay. I didnt venture far offshore but it had no problem running us up and down the beach all afternoon.

Thanks for the response. I actually picked up a gas outboard from Craigslist locally for a pretty good price. I may think about electric down the road because I like the idea of electric motors that run pretty quiet. Thanks for the information again.