Very Old Achillies inflatable with motor. Good deal?

jogirob

Cadet
Hello all. I've been doing some research and have been stuck between buying a sit on top fishing kayak or a very cheap inflatable boat. I want to avoid having to use a trailer so I figured I'd get something that I can put in my pickup bed, semi deflated to make room for the pickup truck wheel wells. I'll be installing wheels to the transom so I can wheel things down after prepping the boat. What finally pushed me towards getting an inflatable is the fact that I want to be able to SCUBA dive off of it with a dive buddy. SCUBA gear is so heavy.

This deal I found is a complete boat and motor. It has hardwood floors, a small engine with low hours and runs fine according to the seller. The boat itself holds air for days but it's from 1980. He said registration is good for 2017. That's all the info I was able to get out of texts but plan on going over the boat with a fine toothed comb. I figured if the inflatable disintegrates on me I still have a nice little 4hp motor for that price? What do you guys think?

***Craigslist Ad**
8' inflatable sport boat.....plywood floor boards...oars...anchor....pump...patch kit...4hp johnson and 2 gal tank .
condition: good
length overall (LOA): 8
make / manufacturer: Achilles
model name / number: 8' sport boat
propulsion type: power
year manufactured: 1980
Price: $500

https://chico.craigslist.org/boa/6156506430.html
Save

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

first, your a new recruit, so you cant post pictures until at least your third post. it was in the rules you agreed to when you signed up

however, in the rules forum http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines

there is a thread on posting photos, i suggest option #3 http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/9938375-photo-upload-tutorial

the problem with RIBs and SIBs is that they have a life of 15 years. beyond that and the materials that hold it together fail. primarily the adhesives and glue.

no way I would ever buy a 37 year old inflatable

jogirob

Cadet
Thank you sir for going easy on this polywog. The boat sold :( I guess it's a blessing in disguise. Don't want to be out and about and have the thing disintegrate on me and my shipmates.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Was that a 8 footer sib ? if so, too darn old & small for scuba diving. For that purpose go at least for a 340 mtr sib and a 10/15 HP-OB.

Happy Boating

jogirob

Cadet
It was a SIB. Yes looking back I'm glad I held back long enough to consult with the boating elders. A newer nice looking RIB hypalon popped up for $1000. "14' fiberglass boat with inflatable side. Very cool fishing boat." it's steadily been going down in price from about $1500. Motor is pictured but there is no mention of it. Already contacted em.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A 14" Rib is an excellent water craft for SCUBA diving. If in good cond, don't miss that one, new costs waaaaay more.

Happy Boating

jogirob

Cadet
I ended up settling for a 2005ish 10' Achillies SIB with inflatable floor and 1986 15hp Johnson motor for $1100. Both very well taken care of. I'm concerned the transom is only rated for 8hp though. Owner said it was fine because a 15hp 2 stroke is about the same weight as a 8hp 4 stroke. Does this sound about right?

Also, would storing a SIB on its side cause any damage? Would it be better to hang it off its keel D ring? My side yard is too narrow and I can barely lay the boat in there. I'd be storing just for the week and probably pulling it out for the weekend.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
My Boating Club stores them side ways while laying against a wall, just inflate it properly for proper tube rigidity. Yep, both OB's weights are about same.

Happy Boating